Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Luggage option for the Savage (Read 2531 times)
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Luggage option for the Savage
Reply #45 - 01/20/08 at 23:08:10

Interesting topic. I bought my LS650 to haul my bicycle around. I commute part of the way to work on the LS650, and the last 12 miles by bicycle. I picked the Savage partially because of the torque it puts out for a low price.  It hauls 30-40lb pretty well, with no probles on curves.

I'm also exploring putting a single wheel trailer on the back so I can fetch a few sheets of drywall or plywood from time to time. In that application, I would have to drive slow, but the Home Depot is only 4 miles away, and would be fun to haul about 4 sheets of drywall on the back of a motorcycle.

savageandbike.jpg

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
old lady katie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Indianapolis
Reply #46 - 01/21/08 at 08:50:27

This is another reason why I like the bike and I like this forum. There aren't a lot of OEM snobs here. One of my favorite things in life is finding something and using it in a way that was not of its original purpose. Some great trunk ideas here.

Every day is a gift; some days are gag gifts.
katiedav   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #47 - 01/21/08 at 09:58:02

old lady katie wrote on 01/21/08 at 08:50:27:
... There aren't a lot of OEM snobs here. ....
There is not a lot of OEM things available for the Savage.  Nor are there a lot of aftermarket parts specifically for the Savage.  Whatever we want we have to innovate, improvise, devise.  Whatever you want, it is quite likely someone else wanted and has come up with a solution.

There is a reason the Savage is into it's 21st year practically unchanged -- it is the little bike that can.

WWW   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #48 - 01/22/08 at 22:04:17

I still say I lit up this thread.  Grin
The bike IS a toy, and has been invented to have fun with.
Enjoy!

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #49 - 01/23/08 at 05:26:16

geo wrote on 01/22/08 at 22:04:17:

If "lit up" is similar to kicking an ant mound with no constructive purpose, possibly.st

For many LS650 owners the bike is absolutely not a toy; rather, it is a serious vehicle.  However, and more to the point, this thread was created to discuss possible ways to carry more cargo with the LS650 - not to be told not to bother.  While I'm sure others share your opinion of the bike, it is simply counterproductive to the discussion for which this thread was intended.  If you don't regard your LS650 as more than a toy and are not interested in possible methods of carrying more cargo with it, this thread is simply not for you.  In that case, please just avoid the thread and leave it to those who actually want to discuss such options.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #50 - 01/23/08 at 06:44:56

Enjoy!

Hey bone-head.

Borrowing your logic, I can say the same thing about your car, your computer and your TV.  You don't need ANY of them.  They're a luxury.  Not a necessity.  So lets not upgrade the PC, since its a toy.  Forget about adding any custom accessories to your car, its a toy.  Why don't you go and buy a 7" black and white TV while you're at it.  It a toy, invented to have fun with.

Do us all a favour.  Shut up....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #51 - 01/23/08 at 07:37:19

Let's all stay civil and afford each other some respect.  We all love our Savages, even if for different reasons/purposes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #52 - 01/23/08 at 13:17:18

I guess who ever can haul the most wins Cool

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #53 - 01/23/08 at 13:42:05

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 01/23/08 at 06:44:56:
...Borrowing your logic, I can say the same thing about your car, your computer and your TV.  ...  luxury.  Not a necessity.  So lets not upgrade ...  Forget about adding any custom accessories.....

Actually you got it backwards.  Our luxeries and toys we spend money on without regard to utility -- they are toys to be enjoyed, they do not have to earn their keep, they are not needed for daily use.  I can feed the family for a month on what dinner for two will cost me at Ruth's Chris.

And to be honest, the vast majority of motorcycles are used as toys, even if they are not toys -- by those who enjoy motorcycling as recreation.  They ride for pleasure.  For them, motorcycles have no purpose other than playtime.  It is only a small minority that use the motorcycle for it's original purpose -- cheap transportation.

In 1903, William Harley and his friends Arthur and Walter Davidson launched the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. The bike had a quality engine, so it could prove itself in races, however, the company planned to manufacture it as a transport vehicle.  (click for link)

The more I can haul with the Savage the less need I have for anything on four wheels.
Some people want to play on two wheels.  I just want to be on two wheels.

WWW   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #54 - 01/23/08 at 16:01:45

SavageWahine wrote on 01/20/08 at 21:09:09:
My next project is to make one of these!!!
http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/saddlebag.htm

I already had something like that in mind when I found a black "leather" ottoman cushion (looks like a barrel) for 10 bucks.
I'm gonna take the foam out, and insert a hard plastic shell.
These guys gave me some good ideas!

See if you can find one of those Gott round water coolers they come in sizes from 2 to 10 gallons, are rigid plastic, and insulated. I saw an internet article some time back where someone used on for just such a container.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #55 - 01/23/08 at 20:37:51

Bear_Rider wrote on 01/23/08 at 16:01:45:

I already had something like that in mind when I found a black "leather" ottoman cushion (looks like a barrel) for 10 bucks.

See if you can find one of those Gott round water coolers they come in sizes from 2 to 10 gallons, are rigid plastic, and insulated. I saw an internet article some time back where someone used on for just such a container.

Hey!!! I like that idea about as good as my black painted 5 gallon paint bucket (pictured earlier in the thread). And I already own a couple of the round-insulated water/drink coolers. I like their screw on tops better than the snap on top of the paint bucket. I wouldn't paint them black, but if the right size on the bike I'll still have travel storage; a backrest when riding; and unloaded I'll have a big water can for camp.  Cool Cool

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #56 - 01/24/08 at 09:16:31

Paladin. wrote on 01/23/08 at 13:42:05:
And to be honest, the vast majority of motorcycles are used as toys, even if they are not toys -- by those who enjoy motorcycling as recreation.  They ride for pleasure.  For them, motorcycles have no purpose other than playtime.  It is only a small minority that use the motorcycle for it's original purpose -- cheap transportation.

In 1903, William Harley and his friends Arthur and Walter Davidson launched the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. The bike had a quality engine, so it could prove itself in races, however, the company planned to manufacture it as a transport vehicle.  (click for link)

The more I can haul with the Savage the less need I have for anything on four wheels.
Some people want to play on two wheels.  I just want to be on two wheels.

My usage is a hybrid recreation/utility version, as I suspect a few others' may be.  I ride for pleasure when I get the opportunity and I ride when conditions are suitable so that I can save on fuel costs and reduce wear and tear on my cage (hopefully prolonging its lifespan).  When weather is unsuitable (admittedly this determination is different for each of us) or if I require greater cargo/passenger capacity, I use the cage.  Improving the cargo capacity of the bike will enable me to use it more often for its utilitarian purpose.

bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #57 - 01/24/08 at 10:13:19

I love driving cars, trucks,snowmobiles,and motorcycles,I use them for what they were designed for only, I was never much for playing games.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #58 - 01/24/08 at 11:38:27

Bear_Rider wrote on 01/23/08 at 16:01:45:

I'll look for it! Thanks.
I just had another thought too, those refillable 5 gallon water bottles might be strong enough as well!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #59 - 01/24/08 at 12:06:59

i'm planning on adding the rectangular ammo cans to my ratbike this spring.
my goal is to be able to carry camping gear for two on it, with a passenger, and on a budget.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Luggage option for the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.