Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Luggage option for the Savage (Read 2531 times)
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Re: Luggage option for the Savage
Reply #30 - 01/18/08 at 21:21:56

Gees, Is it possible to mount a pickup truck box to this thing? Or maybe there might be a way to put a trailer hitch on this bike so you might be able to trail a camper, or even a boat.
Can't you just ride for enjoyment? Does the bike have to haul your worthless junk around? Does this bike have to be a pick-em-up-truck?
This is a nitch motorcycle. It's lighter than anything with reasonable displacement. It just doesn't make sence to me to hang more junk on this machine. Shocked

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #31 - 01/19/08 at 06:21:35

Quote:
Gees, Is it possible to mount a pickup truck box to this thing? Or maybe there might be a way to put a trailer hitch on this bike so you might be able to trail a camper, or even a boat.
You betcha!  What with ideas picked up here I'm planning on a pair of siderails with recievers to take both a trailer hitch and a two foot by three foor pickup box -- with tailgate.
Quote:
Can't you just ride for enjoyment?
While riding is enjoyable, for many of us the bike is NOT simply a TOY for playing with.
Quote:
Does the bike have to haul your worthless junk around? Does this bike have to be a pick-em-up-truck?
Some of us do not have the luxery of owning multiple vehicles.  For some of us the Bike is our ONLY transportation.  We do not HAVE a pick-em-up-truck.  We do not HAVE a cage.  We all need, at times, to haul our "worthless junk" around.  (FWIW, my "worthless junk" is of infinite more value to me than your worthless carcass.)  I would like to do so with my own vehicle rather than having to beg/borrow/steal someone else's vehicle.
Quote:
This is a nitch motorcycle. It's lighter than anything with reasonable displacement. It just doesn't make sence to me to hang more junk on this machine. Shocked
You are not the center of the universe.  Your opinion, while valid for you, does not apply to everyone.  While you may feel the the Savage is a nitch motorcycle MY SAVAGE is my sole means of transportation.  I either ride, or someone else loses their cage for whatever time I am using it.  I ride.  I ride for pleasure.  I ride to work.  I ride to the store.  I ride on vacation.  I ride in heat.  I ride in cold.  I ride in sunshine.  I ride in rain.  I ride by day.  I ride by night.  I ride.  I don't DO CAGES if I can help it.  I don't like being in a cage, I don't like the loss of vision and control.  When I bring 20 or 30 pounds of gorceries home it is with the Bike.  When I carry tools and spares and camping gear and a week's worth of clothing it is on the Bike.  When I needed a couple of 10 foot long conduits for running the electricity to the pool deck I used the Bike.  Being able to haul 4'x8' plywood would be a plus.

I don't HAVE a truck or a car or another motorcycle.  I am married wirh children and cannot AFFORD another vehicle.  The Savage has to do everything I need to do with regard to vehicles.  If YOU feel I should not be using the Savage to haul my worthless junk around then YOU can buy me whatever YOU feel I should be using.

Otherwise I would appreciate it if you would get off my back and let us have a discussion of how to haul massive amounts of junk with the Savage.

The Savage is NOT just a toy -- contrary to your opinion.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #32 - 01/19/08 at 06:29:31

One of my options for after retirement income is to drive/deliver vehicles.  Pick up a motorhome at the factory and deliever to dealer/purchaser.  Sounds like fun.

Put a hitch on the Savage.  Haul a M/C trailer to the factory, hitch trailer to MH and haul the Savage to the point of delivery, haul the trailer home with the Savage.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #33 - 01/19/08 at 09:07:08

feelinjunky,

It sure is nice to have steel stock laying around in the garage, isn't it?

With your extensions, I think you are right.  You are not going to have much by way of flexing with that set-up...

By the way, what grade fasteners did you use to attach the brackets to the rack?  If anything, you might see the failure at the fastener over a period of time.  A standard zinc alloy or even stainless bolt might not be the best solution.  You may hve used stronger fasteners (but I can't tell from the pictures).... So if you did, never mind my ramblings... Tongue

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #34 - 01/19/08 at 09:11:28

geo wrote on 01/18/08 at 21:21:56:
Can't you just ride for enjoyment? Does the bike have to haul your worthless junk around? Does this bike have to be a pick-em-up-truck?

You just don't get it, do you?

My Savage is a REPLACEMENT for my SUV.  I would much rather get 50+ mpg in my daily driving than the 16 mpg (on a good day) that my Honda gets.

Since it is a REPLACEMENT, it needs to do EVERYTHING that I might have to do in a typical day.  That includes my errands, running my kids to practices or games and even a little pleasure riding for my self.

If I can use it as a 'pick-em-up-truck', I'm going to do so.

Like Paladin said earlier.  Unless you have something constructive to add to the discussion, SHUT UP.     Lips Sealed

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #35 - 01/19/08 at 14:58:57

Skrapiron, I couldn't have said it better myself. Please STFU Geo!!! You have brought no constructive criticism to this thread.

I did reinforce the luggage rack fasteners with 1/4" steel brackets on top of the existing brackets in back of the passenger's seat for added support.

It does pay to have scrap steel laying around!! Smiley

EDIT: As for hauling "worthless junk" around, I can't be any different. My motorcycle is my PRIMARY mode of transportation (secondary = public transportation). Therefore I MUST accommodate it with everything I NEED. What's the point of a trunk in a car, FOR LUGGAGE!!! Same thing with the bike...please geo, don't make my respect for you hit rock bottom...

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #36 - 01/19/08 at 16:01:31

Wow! I really stirred you thin-skins up. Grin

And yes, I did add something to the thread. What about the trailer hitch idea? That allows you to sport ride or haul stuff. Smiley

Lighten up guys. Cool

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #37 - 01/19/08 at 17:52:04

Paladin. wrote on 01/19/08 at 06:29:31:
One of my options for after retirement income is to drive/deliver vehicles.  Pick up a motorhome at the factory and deliever to dealer/purchaser.  Sounds like fun.

Put a hitch on the Savage.  Haul a M/C trailer to the factory, hitch trailer to MH and haul the Savage to the point of delivery, haul the trailer home with the Savage.

I believe that a lot of new vehicles were delivered in a similar fashion up to about the '60's. They drove the new vehicle to it's new owner and towed a trike behind it. When you got to your destination you unhitched the trike fired it up and rode home. Personally I think your idea is an excellent one.
As for me, My bike is my main form of transport and one of the first things I have added to my bikes is a luggage rack. I bungee my cheap box on the back and I have any wet weather gear, Lunch, tools or what ever inside. I like to think of my bikes as working machines that give me pleasure too.
Ride Safe and no snot rockets at the cagers please
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #38 - 01/19/08 at 18:07:37

geo wrote on 01/18/08 at 21:21:56:
Well said that man!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #39 - 01/19/08 at 20:19:08

Why do you two have to crap on this thread?  What IS your problem with using the bike as full time transportation, including hauling whatever needs to be hauled?

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #40 - 01/20/08 at 09:35:34

I guess I'll chime in here since I'm an in-between viewpoint.  

Having the bike to go for a ride is indeed a must.  I do need to blow off steam every once in a while (10-12 hr work days  Tongue ).    Having it lite and un-encumbered on these times is a must.

But,  I use the bike to commute to work (GOT TO PAY BILLS  Sad )  Since I also can "tele-commute" from home if the kid is home from school sick or has a snow day, I have to be able to carry the pack with the laptop.  So I converted and mounted a  semi-universal '70's rack.  (see below).  In the summer, I worry about having to put Sta-Bil in the truck's tank..... Smiley

The rack does come in handy for those small errands (any excuse to ride  Grin ).  Run to the stealership, a run to the hardware store for nuts & bolts.   Even used it to on a grocery store trip (one or two things).   I'm pretty sure for bigger trips I would use my pick-up, ('04 Chevy Colorado 4-dr with the best gas friendly rear-end I could order).

The bag Skrapiron posted is actually nice. Maybe a tad tall but still nice.  If you go for one of those summer all day rides with a bunch of friends,  it would be handy to have some soda-pop or water bottles in.  Maybe a sandwich or snacks too.  Many a time we stopped  for a stretch or a great view and the guys with the bigger bikes go into their hard cases and pull out all types of goodies.  The bag isn't too big ....(sorry Palidin, your looks great for the over-night camping trips, but I wouldn't use it for the grocery store trips or an all day fun ride).

T Mack

click file name for larger view

Toms_LS650-4.JPG

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #41 - 01/20/08 at 10:54:55

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/20/08 at 09:35:34:
.... I do need to blow off steam every once in a while (10-12 hr work days  Tongue ).    Having it lite and un-encumbered on these times is a must.....
Oh yeah!  The bags remove in under 10 seconds, the windshield about a minute.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #42 - 01/20/08 at 11:19:01

I don't know if this would work for others but to haul larger items I've used a window net picked up at a racecar flea market. All I did was slip bungee cords thru the netting and clip them on the shock towers and rear tail light towers. It works like the thin luggage nets you can buy from the stealership but it is a lot heavier. I can carry items as big as a case of 16oz tallboys or a medium sized cooler on the passenger seat with no problem. It gets stored in one of the saddle bags when not in use. Being cheap I don't have any plans to buy a luggage rack but am always looking for some donar tubing that might become one. A torch and an active imagination can be dangerous to anything made out of metal.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #43 - 01/20/08 at 20:32:18

Paladin. wrote on 01/19/08 at 20:19:08:
Why do you two have to crap on this thread?  What IS your problem with using the bike as full time transportation, including hauling whatever needs to be hauled?

First of all, you can't really haul anything with the savage. That was geo's bad idea. As for using the bike as full time transportation, I have no choice. Some of us don't have the luxury of owning a car and a motorcycle. I used to use a moped to go to work and school before I could scrape enough money to trade it in for a savage. I don't have a problem with using the bike as full time transportation. I've provided a couple of luggage ideas, which is what this thread iis about.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #44 - 01/20/08 at 21:09:09

My next project is to make one of these!!!
http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/saddlebag.htm

I already had something like that in mind when I found a black "leather" ottoman cushion (looks like a barrel) for 10 bucks.
I'm gonna take the foam out, and insert a hard plastic shell.
These guys gave me some good ideas!

seat_bag.jpg

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Luggage option for the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.