Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Luggage option for the Savage (Read 2531 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Luggage option for the Savage
Reply #15 - 01/12/08 at 12:24:05

feelinjunky wrote on 01/12/08 at 09:43:14:
If you want a big and reliable, easy to install trunk, try the Jc whitney case. 22-1/2"W x 16-1/2"L x 11"H. I ride my bike to school everyday and it easily accommodates my 50-60 pound backpack (packed with all my books). It also adds more back support for the rear passenger. For $85, I think it's worth it.

I looked at the JC Whitney option.  I decided against it for a number of reasons.

First, look at the mounting position.  With the sissybar in place, the trunk itself (as well as its mounting plate) is pushed almost to the end of the luggage rack.  In fact, the mounting plate extends almost 8" beyond the end of the luggage rack.  That extension increases the torque stress on the rack mount.  In otherwords, the farther back you mount the trunk, the more stress you are putting on the luggage rack. (think the principle of leverage)

Now by adding 50-60lbs into the trunk, you are stressing the luggage rack even more severely.  Believe it or not, but every bump you hit in the road causes your entire luggage rack (and all of its contents) to bounce and deflect.  (I noticed this while following a buddy who did the same thing with his Honda.  With every jolt , his trunk would deflect a good 2 or 3 inches.)  Every time you stress the metal it begins to fatigue and will eventually snap at that fatigue point... Taking the trunk and its contents along for the bouncy ride....

The only way to prevent the flexing is to add additional rigid bracing from the center-of-mass (the exact center of the trunk and its mounting plate) to the fender.  It turned out to be more fabrication work than I wanted to get involved with..  That's why I ended up with the soft-side trunk.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #16 - 01/15/08 at 18:48:45

I bought this bike because of its light weight. Why do you guys keep trying to add junk trying to get it up to 500 pounds? If you need a Goldwing, buy the Goldwing. Questioning

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #17 - 01/15/08 at 20:56:53

What is your problem geo? First you slam people for wanting high rise handle bars, now your slamming people for wanting to add other things.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #18 - 01/15/08 at 21:06:28

A Goldwing weighs nearly 800 pounds and costs more than a fourpack of S40's.  It costs more than A Volkswagen Beetle and gets worse highway gas mileage.

We don't need a Goldwing, but we do need *at times* to carry more than what can be stuffed into a pocket.  Hence the fork mounted tool bag, Sluggo's tank bags, saddlebags, panniers, luggage rack, tailboxes, sidecar and/or trailer hitch.  And the little Savage/S40 is a remarkably capable bike.  Yeah, it's a lightweight city / backroad crusier -- but it can do double duty and handle the superslabs and cross country touring.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 01/15/08 at 21:13:31

And if I remember correctly, Dr. Jim had a canoe carrying sidecar.

If we want to go fast economically, we'll strip it down.

If we want to camping, we will go in style.

WWW   IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 01/15/08 at 21:24:52

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 01/12/08 at 12:24:05:
[quote author=2526262F2A2D29362D283A430 link=1199911736/0#12 date=1200159794
That extension increases the torque stress on the rack mount.  In otherwords, the farther back you mount the trunk, the more stress you are putting on the luggage rack. Every time you stress the metal it begins to fatigue and will eventually snap at that fatigue point... Taking the trunk and its contents along for the bouncy ride....

The only way to prevent the flexing is to add additional rigid bracing from the center-of-mass (the exact center of the trunk and its mounting plate) to the fender.  It turned out to be more fabrication work than I wanted to get involved with..  That's why I ended up with the soft-side trunk.

I had the problem on another bike and wound up solving it by simply bolting a plate of plywood as an extension to the luggage rack - the plywood will flex and soaks up the jolts - it is odd to watch it moving around but in 15,000 kms there is no sign of the plywood failing. The plywood is marine grade and has 7 plys. Fabricating with wood is a lot easier than working with metal - sometimes

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #21 - 01/15/08 at 21:27:47

I'm sure Phelonius will correct us, but I remember him as building the kayak carrying sidecar. And I happen to like my bagger for its utility in being able to runs errands and bring home the goods. To each his own I say. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 01/15/08 at 22:05:33

Dam right max... to each his own.

No need to put anyone down for it either, just say it's not for me and smile.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #23 - 01/16/08 at 05:18:49

geo wrote on 01/15/08 at 18:48:45:
I bought this bike because of its light weight. Why do you guys keep trying to add junk trying to get it up to 500 pounds? If you need a Goldwing, buy the Goldwing. Questioning

Why would I want an 800lb bike that wouldn't fit in my garage?  Why would I want a bike that gets worse gas mileage than my wife's Honda Pilot?

Why am I adding luggage (and weight) to my Savage? Because its mine.  I'm not interested in racing it.  I'm not interested in going fast.  I want to ride. The Savage is the perfect commuter.  I use it in lieu of operating a car (because I live getting 55mpg in the city!).  With the luggage, I can carry a weeks worth of groceries.  I can run all of my errands AND still have room for impulse purchases.  I can carry all of my tools and parts to run local service calls at customer sites.  I can carry my kids sports equipment and ride to evrey practice or game.

Try doing that on a Goldwing. You'd go broke filling the tank and you'd be dog tired trying to ride it through traffic.  If I want to tour cross country on a barca-lounger, I'll look at a Goldwing.  For everything else, I'm going to ride my Savage. Cool

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #24 - 01/16/08 at 08:25:45

I strapped a 3ft X 2ft x 1ft box full of tools and spares onto the passenger pad when I had to. The Savage took no notice of it and pulled just as normal.  It's very capable bike.
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 01/16/08 at 16:15:28

Don't they make milk crates anymore.  Used to get them for free (sort of) Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #26 - 01/16/08 at 22:39:05

My poor boy solution:

5 gallon paint bucket... free; can of black paint already laying
around garage; extra long bungee cords borrowed from bro.

Total cost = $0  Function as backrest: Priceless.  Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged
tinga
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 01/17/08 at 07:30:38

i have in the past used a milk crate but this bike i got has nice bags on already,with e-z on off zippers

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #28 - 01/18/08 at 19:32:20

Skrapiron, I see what you are saying. In order to mount mine, I did reinforce the luggage rack with .25" x 1" x 12" steel bars I found in my garage. Just drilled a couple holes in the steel to fit the screws through. The mounting process took my about 15 min. But I also work with steel everyday, so I kinda know what goes where.

As far as bending, HAHA, there is NO WAY 1/4" steel will bend in this application. you would have to put about 600 pounds worth of stuff in the trunk case for this to be a problem. The trunk doesn't move up and down as a result. When I load something in, the weight transfers to the rear shocks through the sissy bars.

Like i said, I ride to school everyday with 50-60 pounds of books. I realize that every bump I hit about 100-120 pounds of force is transferred throughout the trunk, rack, sissy bars and shocks. This is nothing when reinforced.

rack1.JPG
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #29 - 01/18/08 at 19:35:33

Here's the bottom view of how i mounted it. By the way, how can you put multiple pictures in 1 post?

rack2.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:34:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Luggage option for the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.