Send Topic Print
'88 (Read 194 times)
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

'88
01/08/08 at 22:30:20

going to look at an '88 svage 650 in a couple days. 17- some thousand miles. What should I be looking out for?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: '88
Reply #1 - 01/08/08 at 22:47:16

Gee, I thought you were asking all the questions in the other topic?

I be sure to check for things like flat tires, dented tanks, oil puddles on floor, dead battery, strong gasoline smells, missing headlight, missing drive belt, no brake fluid, missing spokes, or missing footpegs.  Oh, and it should have a muffler, too.

Any problems in those areas is an automatic red flag Tongue

IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/08/08 at 22:49:23

you dont have to be sarcastic. you could just keep your mouth shut. I don't know much about this bike and am looking fo ropinions from people that do. If you don't want to help save your snide comments for someone else.

IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #3 - 01/09/08 at 04:29:30

Apart from the bits that might demand immediate expense (tyres, exhaust, disc/pads etc), I reckon "general condition" tells a lot. For example, the '89 with 13000 miles I bought recently just LOOKED neat. Fact that sound and solid underneath the mudguards/fenders for example a pretty sure sign that not been used in an English winter!
Number of owners also a consideration I think.

Good luck!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/09/08 at 07:12:38

crimsonblaspheme wrote on 01/08/08 at 22:49:23:
you dont have to be sarcastic. you could just keep your mouth shut. I don't know much about this bike and am looking fo ropinions from people that do. If you don't want to help save your snide comments for someone else.
ROFLMAO  

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/09/08 at 07:36:18

I guess this is a question to often asked for greg.

And if you'd asked somewhere else and now are asking again...

As far as I know (for someone with a '96) the starter is an issue to look out for.  But if it starts it doesn't have the issue.... yet.

Otherwise, kick the tires and spin it around the block.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/09/08 at 08:15:26

Yep, the general overall look of it.  Does it look like everything is there?  Are things straight, lined up, in the proper places?  Is there rust, paint worn/scratched, chrome & aluminum condition, ?
Do the brakes work well or spongy?
Does the clutch lever/cable work smoothly and the clutch engage/disengage properly and the transmission shift up and down ALL of the gears?
Tire tread?  AGE OF RUBBER ... are there cracks in the sidewalls of the tires?
Twist the main drive belt around (turn it hard to get it around all the way) and look for cracks on the "tooth side" of the belt?  Has the belt EVER been changed?
Does the petc0ck work properly?

Go for a good ride and see if it runs smoothly from idle on up, turning the throttle slowly and smoothly.  Does it respond smoothly or is there jerkyness?
Then run it hard through the gears, up and down, brake easy and hard to see if it responds smoothly and firmly.

STUFF LIKE THAT.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 01/09/08 at 08:54:59

If you take Savage_Greg's response at face value, it's good advice for someone who knows little to nothing about buying used MC's. Granted he doesn't say why those things are red flags, but you asked what to look for not what specific conditions might indicate about the MC's life. Without more information about yourself and your experience buying used MC's it's best to start at the beginning.  For example I might say to look for crash damage, or be sure that the condition matches the mileage and you might not have any idea what I'm talking about. If you already know to look for all of these things and are only interested in things that might be specific to a used Savage (or even more specific to the year/mileage Savage you're looking at) then you might want to rephrase your question to give a better indication what answer you are looking for.

Personally, I'd look for a MC that is stock or has only the modifications that I want, and I wouldn't pay any extra for modifications made. 17,000 miles can be a lot of wear and tear, or can hardly be noticable on a well maintained and cared for MC. For example, aside from tire wear (the rubber had been replaced and was showing wear) and a little worn off the footpegs, my Savage looked about the same when I sold it as when I bought it. I saw other Savages that were newer with fewer miles that looked 10 years older.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 01/09/08 at 11:34:54

Another good thing to look at is the steering stops on the frame neck. (little tabs welded to the neck to keep the handlebars and trees from hitting the tank) If one or both are missing it is a good indication that the bike has been wrecked before.

« Last Edit: 01/09/08 at 20:48:14 by Yonuh Adisi FSO »  

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 01/09/08 at 13:48:27

Listen to engine on the right side.If it sounds like a sewing machine,talk to verslagen.Get one of his tensioners,and put it in when you do the oil change.Not a big deal,cheap insurance.

bikepics-1030794-200.jpg

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 01/09/08 at 14:48:17

Go through the same approach you would take to buying a used car. Start  it and listen - does the pulse of the engine sound even and consistant?
Get someone else to take it for a ride - the present owner for example = watch it riding away and coming back - does it run straight and true - does the tranny audibly shift smoothly.
Look closely at any non standard modifications - has it got a good muffler preferably stock - anything else suggests a bike that has been hammered by a previous owner
Finally, given that it is 20 years old does it look tired - or just dusty and need of a bit of TLC. Tired means broken wires, broken incomlete and mising parts broken mirrors.
Then smile - it is all good - turn to the owner and say - How much? Remember it is 20 years old when you respond with your counter offer. But it should be a figure around $1,000 maximum in my opinion

Keep us posted on what you see and decide

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 18:37:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › '88

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.