Send Topic Print
old questions (Read 307 times)
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

old questions
01/08/08 at 18:57:07

I'm sure this has all been asked before but I'm new to the forum and browsed a bit and couldnt find exactly what I wanted to know so...

Ive heard top speed is anywhere from 65-100. Has anyone got an accurate top speed? How about a comfortable cruising speed? Would you be comfortable on long(ish) freeway rides at 75-80 mph for say 2 hours? If so what kind of gas mileage could I expect? Whats the deal with the oil leak I've heard about? Is it easily fixed? How about that carb spacer deal what limits your throttle, is that easily removed (is it legal?)? How low maint. IS the belt drive?

I ride a Rebel 250 at this point and am very satisfied with it. It will keep up on the highway but thats about it. I'm looking for something a bit "bigger" that rides similarly and I've been refered to this bike and forum. I don't need a big 180000cc beast. Just something with a bit more umph for more peace of mind on the highway while still being light and nimble aswell as simple to maintain and fuel efficient. I've already looked at the Kawi vulcan 500 and wasnt terribly impressed. The seat especially was worse than my Reb even. I've heard tale of the VLX being a bit unweildy plus if I recall corrcetly its MPG was rather unimpressive and I can't find a Reb 450 for a decent price anywhere near me. Any feed back is appreciated and I apologize again for questions I'm sure have been asked endlessly

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: old questions
Reply #1 - 01/08/08 at 19:09:22

The usual suspects: bad news first- the seat is left over from the Spanish Inquisition- and did THEY get it right. Cheesy  Top  speed is about 100, to maybee 95mph for most savages.  You can cruise on it for two hours down the highway, but the tiney tank volume limits range to about 200 miles.  They are low maintenance until you get the modification bug.  Okay on the highway, even with large windshields, but you will notice 18 wheelers when they blow by you.  Carb spacer deal has to do with eliminating the backfire.  A good step up from the rebel in size and maneouverability.  And used ones are relatively plentiful and CHEAP Tongue  Hope this helps..

IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/08/08 at 19:24:22

very much so thank you. Trust me, on the reb I know all about them semis. Actually its not so bad as a really strong crosswind but thanks for the warning. What about the mileage? I've heard as low as 38 mpg and as high as 58. 200 miles to a tank is comparable to my reb. I get 65-70 mpg with a 2.9g tank so 70x3 = 210. I could ditch the extra 10 miles for 10 more mph. How about the oil leak issue? Another question. Is there a big difference between the 4 gear and 5 gear versions? Are there any aftermarket seats? I don't think the reb seat is bad at all though most people do. Maybe I can deal.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/08/08 at 19:27:20

I stepped up from a '82 Honda CM250C which had the same engine as the Rebel 250.  That was the first year for the engine.

There is a big difference......  a good big difference  Grin.   Here in eastern PA, the 250 sometimes needed to be downshifted to make it up some hills and keep the 55 mph.  A rider on the back and you really knew it and those hills  where a challenge.   The LS650 takes the same hills with ease and can easliy accelerate up them to boot.

With power come less MPG.  My 250 use to get 75 mpg highway,  My 650 gets 55..... on a good day, 45 on others.  This MPG could be related to more bugs on the teeth (happy bike syndrome  Grin)  I do more zooming.

The 250 did 75 mph but that was about it.  On my 650,  I already went to pass and have been accel'ing thru 80 mph when I realized how fast I was going.

The 650 is easier to work on, and the spare parts availability is the same since the LS650 is virtually unchanged where Honda has had several frame and body changes.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I notice school buses and Garbage truck more than semi's.
Edit -2 : 55 MPG with 2.8 gal tank = 154 on a good day, but you hit resv. at around 100 - 120.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/08/08 at 19:43:04

I'm about 20 minutes outside pittsburgh in penn hills so I'm farmiliar with the hills. I'm sorry, maybe I'm newer to bikes than I thought but I havnt heard "bugs on teeth" before. Please explain. I'm still curious about this oil leak I've heard of which apparently is a given when you buy this bike. Whats the deal?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 01/08/08 at 19:45:56

How do you tell a happy motorcyclist...... Bugs on the teeth....

Smiling while riding....... Grin

Where the oil at?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 01/08/08 at 19:58:47

crimsonblaspheme wrote on 01/08/08 at 19:24:22:
... What about the mileage? I've heard as low as 38 mpg and as high as 58. 200 miles to a tank is comparable to my reb. ....
My tank is 2.93 gallons from bone dry to filled to the brim.  200 miles would be 68 mpg which is do-able if you keep the speed down.

On my tour I was getting 55-60 mpg at roughly 65 mph on the superslab.  However on the run from Parker AZ to Palm Springs CA on CA-62 across the Mojave at 45-55 mph I managed 70 mpg.  Steady putting at 35-40 in 5th can yield 80 mpg.

But my normal riding is Los Angeles streets with idling at lights broken up by wide open throttle acceleration to 40-45 only to have to brake for the next light.  I get about 45 mpg.

Contrary to others, I have not noticed being blown about by crosswinds / semi-trailers.  But that could be simply be me not noticing, as I unconsciously correct.

WWW   IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #7 - 01/08/08 at 20:05:16

crimsonblaspheme wrote on 01/08/08 at 18:57:07:
I've heard tale of the VLX being a bit unweildy plus if I recall corrcetly its MPG was rather unimpressive

I have just started riding so maybe I don't know as much as some but I say don't knock the VLX so easily. My dad just bought one and I quite like driving it. The VLX guys say the motor is bombproof reliability. It's not as easy to work on as the Savage though.

Compared to the Savage, the VLX rides relaxed and smooth. I wouldn't call it unweildy but rather it handles "slow". The VLX is harder to handle at very slow speeds (less than 7mph?) because it has more rake and  the wheel doesn't turn as sharp. The Savage is fun and makes you want to play with it. The Savage wants to stay upright and it's a tad harder to lean compared to the VLX. Once you do lean it though, it turns quicker. I can make slow easy moves on the VLX. I end up wanting to zip around on the Savage but just relax and enjoy the ride on the VLX. The VLX also has less vibration.

The 5th gear on the Savage (95 and after) is about the same ratio as the 4th gear on the earlier Savages. The VLX has a 4 speed and cruises highway speeds at slightly lower RPMs than the Savage. First gear on the VLX is pretty tall.

Gas mileage is about the same on both I think. It's anywhere from 45 to 60 mpg depending on how you drive and what mods you have.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 01/08/08 at 20:20:07

crimsonblaspheme wrote on 01/08/08 at 19:24:22:
very much so thank you. Trust me, on the reb I know all about them semis. Actually its not so bad as a really strong crosswind but thanks for the warning. What about the mileage? I've heard as low as 38 mpg and as high as 58. 200 miles to a tank is comparable to my reb. I get 65-70 mpg with a 2.9g tank so 70x3 = 210. I could ditch the extra 10 miles for 10 more mph. How about the oil leak issue? Another question. Is there a big difference between the 4 gear and 5 gear versions? Are there any aftermarket seats? I don't think the reb seat is bad at all though most people do. Maybe I can deal.

No idea where the 200 mile range of the Savage is from - most are going to hit reserve around 100-110 miles and you better be looking for a fill up.  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 01/08/08 at 20:22:41

Dark Savage hit it right on the head.I owned a vlx it was a must better freeway bike, felt must safer at speed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/08/08 at 20:55:12

Considering all those things I'd prefer the ease of maintnance (i really need to get a dictionary). I like and am farmiliar with the "zippy" quality of the Rebel so I think the LS650 may be more my style compared ot the VLX. From what I hear the LS650 is pretty much "bombproof" too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/08/08 at 22:37:04

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/08/08 at 19:45:56:
How do you tell a happy motorcyclist...... Bugs on the teeth....

Smiling while riding....... Grin

Where the oil at?

Ya mean, like this...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 01/08/08 at 23:17:44

crimsonblaspheme wrote on 01/08/08 at 19:43:04:
Please explain. I'm still curious about this oil leak I've heard of which apparently is a given when you buy this bike. Whats the deal?

this is the most common

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

and here is an index to quite a few of the tech docs

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #13 - 01/08/08 at 23:20:24

I have a 2006, and with the stock 2.8 gal tank, I usually hit the reserve around 127 miles.  I can run the highway all day at around 65-70 and get 60-63 MPG.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 01/09/08 at 01:32:08

i hit the reserve about ninety miles, then can count on 22 miles slab 25 back road.

as always  your milage may vary

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › old questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.