old questions (Read 307 times)
greidel
YaBB Newbies

Personal Text

Lancaster, PA
Re: old questions
Reply #15 - 01/09/08 at 02:42:05

My 2 cents....

No way I could go 2 uninterupted hours. I ususally have to hit the reserve tank at about 100 miles. So now I use the odometer as a gas guage: fill 'er up every 100 miles, whether it needs it or not. It took 2 gallons even following that rule yesterday.

Of course by then I have been long looking for a break anyways... so I can get the feeling back in my butt!

2008 Versys - Red
2006 S40 - Silver (traded)
2007 Yamaha C3 - Blue
WWW   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #16 - 01/09/08 at 04:25:30

I seem to hit reserve around 120, sometimes a little sooner if it's really cold out.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #17 - 01/09/08 at 05:39:44

This is why a group is good, the 200 miles was a typo, I meant around 100 miles Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed  I think it would become clear when the bike suddenly looses power and you switch to reserve?? I do apologize for the error.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 01/09/08 at 06:25:24

Trippah wrote on 01/09/08 at 05:39:44:
....the 200 miles was a typo, I meant around 100 miles....

was wondering about that - thought you might had found the road that was down hill both ways - as I know it's out there seeing how I've been told people have had to walk it up hill both ways in the snow to go to school  Smiley

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #19 - 01/09/08 at 09:07:35

Top speed will vary from rider to rider, Savage to Savage - road surface to road surface. Mine would top out in the low 80's, but I wouldn't want to ride there for any distance. A more reasonable top speed for cruising would be 65 mph. The Savage is a cruiser, not a superslab burner. As I've expressed before: the bad news is you won't be comfortable riding for more than about 100 miles in between stretches, the good news is you will need to stop for gas anyway. My Savage got a little over 50 mpg under all conditions.

Something to consider if you find the Vulcan uncomfortable. Are you sure it's the seat, and not the riding position (cruiser vs standard).

Don't know about the oil leak, my 2004 never leaked.

IP Logged
greidel
YaBB Newbies

Personal Text

Lancaster, PA
Reply #20 - 01/09/08 at 09:37:58

Reelthing wrote on 01/09/08 at 06:25:24:
was wondering about that - thought you might had found the road that was down hill both ways - as I know it's out there seeing how I've been told people have had to walk it up hill both ways in the snow to go to school  Smiley
You would have to live at that school to get the benefit.  Grin

2008 Versys - Red
2006 S40 - Silver (traded)
2007 Yamaha C3 - Blue
WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #21 - 01/09/08 at 11:41:15

Another 2 cents worth:  

If you like the Rebel, think of the Savage as it's big brother.  I had a 1986 Rebel before I bought my 95 Savage.  You will REALLY appreciate the added room and speed.  Weight difference is mildly more and is still zippy.  The Savage will make you feel like it's going to jump out from under you compared to the Rebel.  It has much more torque.

Over the last 2 years I've switched the seat on the Savage, put on a HD turnout pipe, rejetted, wider handlebars, floor boards, and converted to a chain (all easily done in your garage by you).  I now run COMFORTABLY at 65 on the freeway and still get 58-60MPG.  I also added a 2 gallon tank from a lawn tractor (still using temporary attachments-no pics yet) that I paid $25 for on ebay.  I now have a range now of around 250 miles without stopping.

That's what you can do with a Savage....

« Last Edit: 01/09/08 at 13:19:55 by Gary On A Savage »  

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/09/08 at 12:01:48

exceptional. I think I'd rather have a chain drive myself. It may be more maint. but should something go wrong its easier to deal with on the road. What sproket sizes did you use? How badly did it throw off your speedo? Can you adjust the speedo to compensate? How long do you figure such a mod would take? I read it'll cost me about $100. Any serious decrease in low speed torque? I live in a rather hilly area (Penn Hills) and need to be able to accelerate up hill "relatively" swiftly. I don't need to shoot out from under a stop light but Id like not to lag like a dump truck.

IP Logged
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Reply #23 - 01/09/08 at 12:41:26

Get a Savage chap, they rock. Dont know all the tech info these guys do, I just jump on and ride and it does what I tell it. Top speeds not the best, but thats not what its designed for, it is a cruiser after all (does get there reasonably quickly thou).

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #24 - 01/09/08 at 13:19:08

crimsonblaspheme wrote on 01/09/08 at 12:01:48:
exceptional. I think I'd rather have a chain drive myself. It may be more maint. but should something go wrong its easier to deal with on the road. What sproket sizes did you use? How badly did it throw off your speedo? Can you adjust the speedo to compensate? How long do you figure such a mod would take? I read it'll cost me about $100. Any serious decrease in low speed torque? I live in a rather hilly area (Penn Hills) and need to be able to accelerate up hill "relatively" swiftly. I don't need to shoot out from under a stop light but Id like not to lag like a dump truck.

I went with a 17/43 setup, same as what hutch did (see tech section for instructions).  Others have gone with 17/45.  Cost me $97 for all the parts and shipping.  I live on the edge of the Sierra Nevada's and ride flat, hill, and mountains on this setup.  I can run uphill 65 in 4th gear with no problems.  The speedometer shows around 8% fast (70 actual at 60 indicated).  Didn't adjust speedo but rather I have a digital bicycle speedometer for actual speed and trip odometer (tech section).  Torque loss is minimal.  I have to slip 1st gear just a little or else it WILL jump out from under me.  Also, I only ride solo.  Performance is different going 2 up.  But the nice thing about chain is the ability to change it to your rider preference.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #25 - 01/10/08 at 06:29:43

Isn't there a famous road up in Nova Scotia or nearby that appears to slope when it isn't; i vaguely remember bumber stickers on '50's autos from my childehood.  Many of our neighbors living outside of Boston came from the Maratimes.

IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 01/10/08 at 06:57:28

we got one of them roads around here somehwere. Somehow look slike its going uphill. If you stop and pu tyour car in N it will drift "uphill" slowly about a foot or so. Its kind of creepy and I have NO idea how it works.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:20:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › old questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.