IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: carb question
Reply #1 - 01/07/08 at 16:26:14

yes. jet sizes might be different.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 01/07/08 at 16:29:33

That might be a good thing,I think the '86 &'87 had fatter jets.
Where's LANCER he would know if anybody.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 01/08/08 at 05:26:03

The '86 and '87 had fatter jets, a different jet needle, an additional pilot circuit and even a different throttle plate.  It is essentially the model that we all have been following for changing our air/fuel mixture and stopping the backfires and popping...(which was caused by EPA regulations several years ago and Suzuki changed the carbs.)

If you check the Tech Section, I put an old list of jet sizes in there a few years ago... Tongue

Back again...I have more time now, so here is the link and list.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040/0#0

« Last Edit: 01/08/08 at 07:49:22 by Savage_Greg »  

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/08/08 at 12:46:13

thanks for the info !
am i to assume i can just attach the 87 carb to my 98 bike and not do the half spacer mod ?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/09/08 at 09:58:42

franch wrote on 01/08/08 at 12:46:13:
thanks for the info !
am i to assume i can just attach the 87 carb to my 98 bike and not do the half spacer mod ?

Yes.  It is because of those carb changes that the later model Mikunis need the upgrades.

To date, I haven't found if there are any fundamental differences in the stock exhausts between '86 and '93.  Haven't known anyone to be able to make that comparison.

Make the carb swap, and then think about what you might need to do.  You just won't be able to use the standard wisdon that most of us follow.  You'll be on your own, pretty much.

Not sure, but I think those early carbs had adjustable needles, and you won't need the spacer mod anyway.  Either way, the needle and jet have different profiles than your '98, too.

IP Logged
Petertheblacksmith
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Finland
Reply #6 - 01/12/08 at 03:37:43

There is really no benefit of exchanging the carbs, if you don't modify your muffler and your airfilter too.
Here in Finland it is very popular to buy the Raask 60mm single-wall exhaust from Sweden ( www.raask.se ) and put a K&N airfilter in the airbox.
Do that, and you'll get a *NEW* bike !
(Dynocurves prove you can add 9 hp to your engine by doing this. And oh my, what torque you get !)
Good luck !

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 01/12/08 at 07:49:11

not all 87 carbs have adjustable needles, at least mine doesnt, the info above is correct on jet sizes though. everyones bike is different, so don't think that the white spacer mod is the end all for any issues you may be having. and i had to lean mine out a bit, which really doesnt make any sense to me at all.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/12/08 at 08:20:09

Petertheblacksmith wrote on 01/12/08 at 03:37:43:
There is really no benefit of exchanging the carbs, if you don't modify your muffler and your airfilter too.
Here in Finland it is very popular to buy the Raask 60mm single-wall exhaust from Sweden ( www.raask.se ) and put a K&N airfilter in the airbox.
Do that, and you'll get a *NEW* bike !
(Dynocurves prove you can add 9 hp to your engine by doing this. And oh my, what torque you get !)
Good luck !

"Petertheblacksmitth"...don't think we've seen you around here in a while.  Welcome back.

Hey, I don't know about the newer Raask pipes but mine is 60 mm and it is double-walled.  The pipe outlet is single wall with about 24" of baffle and packing.  Here's a picture from another topic...

You can see my Raask and K&N pod filter in my signature line...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/12/08 at 08:28:11

rigidchop wrote on 01/12/08 at 07:49:11:
not all 87 carbs have adjustable needles, at least mine doesnt, the info above is correct on jet sizes though. everyones bike is different, so don't think that the white spacer mod is the end all for any issues you may be having. and i had to lean mine out a bit, which really doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Just shooting from the hip on the "adjustable needle" anyway.  Haven't seen a parts diagram on those "ancient" carbs yet.

But like you said, each bike is different with pipes and filters and even the environment.  There is no "one size fits all" mod...in fact most people are surprised to learn that I do not run a 155 main jet.  It's a 152.5.  So, when you are buying main jets, get 2-3 different ones.  It's easier to change a jet than to remove the blue from your pipe.

IP Logged
Petertheblacksmith
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Finland
Reply #10 - 01/12/08 at 10:45:10

Hi Greg ! You're right about the pipe of course, it IS double-wall Wink
I have 152 mainjet and airjet 52,5 .  She runs soooo well, and fuel consumption is 4,2 liters / 100kilometers...whatever that can be in your way of expressing it...but she's really low on fuel. Nice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:27:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.