Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: forward controls
Reply #31 - 01/09/08 at 15:25:40

OK, I need to set my shop up for metal working, give me a week or so and I should be turning them out. If I don't get back to everybody right away don't worry, I've a lot going on this month. Just checked the thread size on the shifter rod and it is M6x1.0 not M6x1.5, oops.

« Last Edit: 01/09/08 at 17:47:58 by Ed L. »  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #32 - 01/11/08 at 10:27:39

Ed L. wrote on 01/09/08 at 15:25:40:
Just checked the thread size on the shifter rod and it is M6x1.0 not M6x1.5, oops.

Thanks Ed, I now can get the die I need. (Would be a good idea for you as well since you will be making controls to sell.) http://www.mcmaster.com/

This is where I found it thanks to eanon for providing the link.

Still waiting for my friend to complete the welding, he's had food poisoning.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #33 - 01/11/08 at 19:05:16

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 01/11/08 at 10:27:39:

Still waiting for my friend to complete the welding, he's had food poisoning.

You are suppose to feed him your house special after you pick-up the parts but before he hands you the bill.... Grin

Just kidding,  hope he recovers ok.....

Pict's after it's all put together please.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #34 - 01/11/08 at 22:10:31

Well, my friend will be bringing the forward controls to work with him tomorrow. (finally got over his bout of food poisoning).

I will definitely provide pics of them as well but they won't be put on the bike until I get my engine repaired, which shouldn't be too much longer.

IP Logged
viscouscycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 01/12/08 at 17:13:18

I also need a set of forwards for my wife's thumper. Let me know the current going rate. Thanks

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #36 - 01/12/08 at 23:37:43

Okay, got my forward controls back, I will post pics of them tomorrow after I get up and moving. I will also see what I can do on describing how I made them.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #37 - 01/13/08 at 07:53:17

Just finished pricing the aluminium for the forward control plates. I can get 1/4 inch for $22.00 a square foot from a local vendor which is enough to make one set. He sells the plate by the foot along a four foot sheet so I will need to purcase either four square feet or eight square feet. Looks like I will start with four sets and roll the money over to finance the next batch. Next I need to cut a set out and bolt it on my '02 to make sure the 1/4 inch is strong enough. I've already geared down my band saw and have found a blade that does a good job of cutting aluminium. I'll keep everybody updated  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #38 - 01/13/08 at 10:28:41

Here's what I've got so far, the pencil is there to provide some scale for the picture. Next step is to bolt them up to my '02 and make sure that they fit.

forward_control_plates_02_004.jpg

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #39 - 01/13/08 at 12:39:57

Just got in from the shop and here is what they look like on the bike. I reused the longer hardware from my orignial set which is why the bolts are sticking so far out. Can't get out to test ride them today, got a bit of a rain storm blowing thru. When I jump up and down on the foot pegs I noticed a little flex, maybe a 1/16 of an inch occuring at the end of them, beside that I'm very happy with the project.

forward_control_plates_02_004_001.jpg

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #40 - 01/13/08 at 12:42:01

Can't figure out how to post more than one picture so here is a shot from the other side Undecided

forward_control_plates_02_002.jpg

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #41 - 01/13/08 at 13:24:42

They look pretty good Ed. I just posted a thread with pics of my forward controls.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #42 - 01/15/08 at 11:13:36

Got a test ride in today, the weather was a balmy 50 degrees here on Florida's east coast Grin. I had no problems with the forward control setup so I took the plunge and ordered a standard and a reverse die for the shifter rod and picked up enough 1/4 inch aluminium plate to make eight sets. Looks like the cost will be $80.00 a set plus shipping. A set will include the right and left side plate which are drilled and cut to fit a Savage, a bracket to relocate the brake and brake light cable, a longer shifter rod and a welded "Y" extension for the brake petal made out of 1/8x3/4 flat stock . The edges of the plates will be smoothed by a belt sander but nothing will be polished. I will also include a list of hardware needed for the assembly along with some instructions and a CD with some pictures. It should be a rather easy bolt-on modification that won't need any changes to the bike except for the removal of the kickstand safety switch. I already have seven or eight riders interested so I'll P.M. everybody when done with this batch with first dibs first. I plan to do a second batch as soon as some cash comes in (aluminium is expensive) so don't worry if you miss this first go round.

IP Logged
ECUSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 01/16/08 at 06:17:02

Nice Ed!!!

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #44 - 01/16/08 at 07:09:49

Sounds good, Ed. I'm down, so PM me when you're ready with payment details and let's rolL!

Thanks for the hard work!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 08:19:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › forward controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.