Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
need to replace head gasket (Read 28 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: need to replace head gasket
Reply #60 - 01/26/08 at 13:58:56

Update...cleaned most of the carbon off the head, cleaned the exhaust port and gasket, and prepared for another test...

Then since one of the exhaust bolts had been replaced with a stud and acorn nut, I used a regular nut to mount the header really tight against the head...because I wondered if the acorn nut was bottoming out on the stud and preventing the flange from being tightened well enough (since acorn nuts don't have a hole all the way through)

Then I started the bike and rolled it out into the 30 degree weather and rain.  I put a little fan in front of the engine to keep it from getting too hot, and threw a plastic cover over the seat.  There, I let the bike warm up and run.

It popped and backfired a few times before it got hot...and the bike sat out there running for 45 minutes...yes, 45 minutes!  From time to time I'd go over and open the throttle and wind it up.

Not one leak around the head gasket area that I can see.  Nothing blowing out, and when she cools off, I'll pull the pipe and look closer.

I think this bike is now ready for the mixture screw to be opened up, a 1/2 spacer, and a 150 main jet.  I don't know if I have another pilot jet to put in there...she's running a little lean though.

This has been a good work day!  Cool

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #61 - 01/28/08 at 11:24:29

Here we go.  She needed a jump because of a weak battery, but here is Nervkiler's Savage running in the snow (you can't see it too well).

Since the pipe is opened up, I did the "1/2 spacer mod" and drilled out his idle mixture screw.  After she warmed up, I adjusted the idle mix.  Unfortunately, I don't have a 150 main jet, but that won't be too hard to change since I've loosen up those "virgin" bowl screws.  They were tight...

There was a little bit of residue in the carb.  Luckily most of the gas had been drained because the jets were fine.

And here is Nervkiler's Thumper Smiley

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #62 - 01/28/08 at 13:26:55

Other than the muffler that's a clean bike.If you keep the muffler paint it black,that wouldn't look too bad.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #63 - 01/28/08 at 19:47:37

Demin wrote on 01/28/08 at 13:26:55:
Other than the muffler that's a clean bike.If you keep the muffler paint it black,that wouldn't look too bad.

Yes, it really is clean...just a few places that were messed with by the PO, and that is a good thing.

It may look kinda funky, but the pipe does have an interesting sound with the way it was modified.  As Max said if they had put a core through the middle (with holes) the packing might have worked.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #64 - 01/30/08 at 13:18:09

Guess that we'll just wait to see Nervkiler put an official "The End" on this topic...

...he left on his bike about an hour ago.  My phone hasn't rung yet, so I guess it is still running Tongue

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #65 - 01/30/08 at 13:20:14

That's always a good thing. Smiley

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #66 - 01/30/08 at 18:21:51

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/30/08 at 13:18:09:
Guess that we'll just wait to see Nervkiler put an official "The End" on this topic...

...he left on his bike about an hour ago.  My phone hasn't rung yet, so I guess it is still running Tongue

may have got lost on the way home - it happens!

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #67 - 01/30/08 at 20:07:57

haha no we got lost on the way out to his house.. not a hard place to find but we thought we could do some backroads.. ended up in camas

bike runs great. lots more low end grunt to her and it sounds awsome. i kept thinking is this too loud? haha no loud pipes save lives.
dont think ill ever get pulled over with it like this it just sounds good.

next project with the bike after i get a new battery and change the oil is going to be 155 main jet and then probably a chain conversion. sidemount liscense plate and brake light. then ill fit a bobber style fender and seat. maybe new bars to follow. ill try to keep the list as short as that for the summer.

love to bike just waiting for the weather to warm up.
greg told me it would happen.. when i got home my fingers were FREEZING! took almost 15 minutes for the feeling to come back completely.

Smiley
thanks

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #68 - 01/30/08 at 22:13:57

Well, at least you didn't have to chisel your hands off the grips Smiley

I don't recommend a 155 main unless you get a more open header (not the muffler).  You'll just be blowing the extra gas out the pipe and dirtying your plug.  I suggest a 150, but since they are cheap, just get one of each; 150, 152.5, and 155.  Then you'll have them for the future, anyway.

Thanks, I enjoyed working on your scoot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:25:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need to replace head gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.