Send Topic Print
Two questions (Read 657 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Two questions
01/21/08 at 05:34:11

ONE: my exhaust pipe is come loose AGAIN and is now backfiring at the connection where the header meets the pipe. THis happens almost once a month and is a pain to reassemble. The pipe is a replacement (not stock) HD with a screw clamp.  My question is: is there another way, better way, something way to get this to stay together?

TWO: I looked (for over an hour) at my owners manual, at the Clymers manual and in the Savage CD and could not find the NAME of a hose that seems to be leaking oil on my bike.
It is located above the oil case right in front of the clutch cable. It is rubber wrapped in spring wire.  It seems to be leaking right at the nut joint.
My guess is that it is an oil hose but going where and what for, and do I need to drain it or anything before unhooking or tightening it? Does it have a name or ID?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Two questions
Reply #1 - 01/21/08 at 05:51:14

1)When you say screw clamp are you talking about a hose clamp,if so go to autozone(or parts store) get a muffler clamp of the correct size,1.75" I think.
2) That hose is your speedometer cable,there is a rubber seal inside if that is bad I have gone to the parts store and got an 0-ring to fit it.On my '87 I had to get a new cable the housing got hard and cracked when I moved it for the new speedo.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/21/08 at 05:57:35

If you can get the clamp on tight enough to stop the leak, drizzle some high temp threadlock on it, so it will stop vibrating loose.

If finding the right size O-Ring is a hassle & you can lay hands on a couple that are too big real cheap & easy, take an X-Acto & cut thru an o-ring, at an angle, then stick it in the housing & wrap it to the overlap, then cut & fit it. I've done this twice & it doesnt leak. Just takes a few minutes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 01/21/08 at 07:17:09

1) have to ask the muffler is mounted to the stock location and is secure?..
2)stealership lost mine once their parts lists dont show the speedo cable o ring either..when you pull the tank and undo the cable the o ring drops out never to be found!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 01/21/08 at 07:37:23

Don't forget ACE hardware if you have one of them around you, they seem to have a fairly extensive O-ring inventory.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 01/21/08 at 07:57:38

If it is the speedo cable, why is there OIL around the connector?

The screw on clamp for the exhaust is vibrating loose, and I think that is because I tighten it each time as tight as "I" can...and remember it took me 8 hours to get the oil bolt off last time. Obviously my upper body strength is NOT anywhere near what you guys have.

At this point I think Island Wahini needs to come visit NC to help me get this thing together!!  Shocked

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/21/08 at 09:06:47

You may need to get another hose clamp.  The one I have is excelent.  It has a full band that encircles the pipe entirely.  And the clamp is tighted by an aircraft style T-bolt and nut.  Not like the stock clamp or a typical worm drive hose clamp.  That and a gasket made by coke-cola or budweiser should do you just fine.

The speedo cable connection will leak oil cause it constantly wetted by the oil being thrown off by the clutch.  And due to the pumping action of the piston going up and down there is quite a bit of air flow pushing this oil out.  The original o-ring is not really an o-ring, but a standard size will fit and keep the leak down to a point where it only collects dirt.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 01/21/08 at 09:18:01

verslagen1 wrote on 01/21/08 at 09:06:47:
You may need to get another hose clamp.  The one I have is excelent.  It has a full band that encircles the pipe entirely.  And the clamp is tighted by an aircraft style T-bolt and nut.  Not like the stock clamp or a typical worm drive hose clamp.  That and a gasket made by coke-cola or budweiser should do you just fine.

The speedo cable connection will leak oil cause it constantly wetted by the oil being thrown off by the clutch.  And due to the pumping action of the piston going up and down there is quite a bit of air flow pushing this oil out.  The original o-ring is not really an o-ring, but a standard size will fit and keep the leak down to a point where it only collects dirt.

Thank you for the input - I appreciate knowing what the heck is going on under my butt!  Wink

The clamp I have on the pipe now I think is the one you mention - a T shaped turnscrew on a full circle connector. I am beginning to think that I just cannot tighten it well enough to stay put.

The oil leak area is not spewing oil, just collecting dirt on the joint from the tiny amount of oil that is there. It is stock on my 2006. So do you guys think I should replace it, or leave it?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/21/08 at 10:28:30

skatnbnc wrote on 01/21/08 at 05:34:11:
ONE: my exhaust pipe is come loose AGAIN and is now backfiring at the connection where the header meets the pipe. THis happens almost once a month and is a pain to reassemble. The pipe is a replacement (not stock) HD with a screw clamp.  My question is: is there another way, better way, something way to get this to stay together?

TWO: I looked (for over an hour) at my owners manual, at the Clymers manual and in the Savage CD and could not find the NAME of a hose that seems to be leaking oil on my bike.
It is located above the oil case right in front of the clutch cable. It is rubber wrapped in spring wire.  It seems to be leaking right at the nut joint.
My guess is that it is an oil hose but going where and what for, and do I need to drain it or anything before unhooking or tightening it? Does it have a name or ID?

The reason that you couldn't find the photo on the Savage CD is because you didn't know what to call it.  As mentioned before it is the speedo cable.  The photo name is "Speedo_Seal.jpg" and it is in the "Engine" folder.  In that photo I show a common size o-ring that you can buy at a hardware store for about .25 cents.  

It is made out of neoprene.  Just get one that is a snug fit inside the nut, and that nut is only hand tightened enough to compress the seal and stop a leak.  You don't have to make it really tight with pliers or something...which might actually make it leak too.

PS - anytime you can't find something that you seek on the CD, please feel free to send me an email.  I always check email even if I don't log in here.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/21/08 at 10:37:27

skatnbnc wrote on 01/21/08 at 09:18:01:
verslagen1 wrote on 01/21/08 at 09:06:47:

Thank you for the input - I appreciate knowing what the heck is going on under my butt!  Wink

The clamp I have on the pipe now I think is the one you mention - a T shaped turnscrew on a full circle connector. I am beginning to think that I just cannot tighten it well enough to stay put.

The oil leak area is not spewing oil, just collecting dirt on the joint from the tiny amount of oil that is there. It is stock on my 2006. So do you guys think I should replace it, or leave it?

It shouldn't leak a lot.  Not really under pressure.  If tightening doesn't fix it, then get an o-ring.  Sometimes they even fall out (and drop under the starter, too) when you take the cable off.  That's why you want a snug size o-ring.

Oh, don't be surprised if the speedo-cable seems like it won't go back into the engine case.  The cable is keyed as you see in the photo, and you may have to turn it to get it in the right way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/21/08 at 11:30:53

skatnbnc wrote on 01/21/08 at 09:18:01:

Glad to keep an eye on it for you! Shocked

I'd leave it, once it gets worse then replace it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 01/21/08 at 11:39:09

you can buy some YELLOW teflon thread seal tape at the hardware store that is oil/chem proof - it's much thicker than the white plumber tape - don't use that stuff- the yellow tape will seal the speedo leak if it is leaking in the threads - if you can't find any I'll mail you bit

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/21/08 at 12:50:13

Reelthing wrote on 01/21/08 at 11:39:09:
you can buy some YELLOW teflon thread seal tape at the hardware store that is oil/chem proof - it's much thicker than the white plumber tape - don't use that stuff- the yellow tape will seal the speedo leak if it is leaking in the threads - if you can't find any I'll mail you bit

But wouldn't you say that if it's leaking from the threads, that it must be leaking past the seal?  If that's the case, then why not just buy a 25 cent o-ring at the hardware store, instead of a roll of tape?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 01/21/08 at 13:57:12

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/21/08 at 12:50:13:
Reelthing wrote on 01/21/08 at 11:39:09:

But wouldn't you say that if it's leaking from the threads, that it must be leaking past the seal?  If that's the case, then why not just buy a 25 cent o-ring at the hardware store, instead of a roll of tape?

I flat didn't have a complete seal with the the o-rings - still would seep a little a - went back to the oem seal and a little yellow tape on the threads - narry a drop since

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 01/21/08 at 17:06:38

If someone can make me a sketch of this O-ring, I'll see if I can find/make some.

I either lost it on the first tank removal or it never had one.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:58:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Two questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.