Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
need to replace head gasket (Read 28 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: need to replace head gasket
Reply #45 - 01/23/08 at 15:19:16

Update...

SSM specs says 142 to 200 PSI with the engine hot so:

Compression test dry and cold = 180 PSI
Compression test wet (oil in cylinder) = 190 PSI

I also squirted WD40 around the head gasket and I see no bubbles or feel any leaks...hmmm

« Last Edit: 01/24/08 at 07:23:31 by Savage_Greg »  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #46 - 01/24/08 at 07:41:15

Due to the good compression results, it doesn't seem that a head gasket is bad.  I believe the poor engine performance and this exhaust leak are really just symptoms of another problem.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 01/24/08 at 08:20:54

Now, the purpose of these photos is for a lesson to all on this forum.  I know that I've never seen anything like this either.  I'm definitely not posting these to give Nervkiler a hard time about this bike...because actually this 1997 is in great shape with only 1600 miles.  The chrome is excellent and it looks well kept for 11 years...but unfortunately, it looks like a previous owner did a little bit of tinkering on this bike.

When the bike came here, I noticed this muffler with the packing sticking out, as you see it.  It looks as if someone cut off the end, removed the guts, welded in a new baffle, and painted it.  They installed a pipe nipple in the end...and the packing was sticking out when I first saw it.

Then last night I decided to check this muffler.  The packing was packed hard against the muffler outlet (and that stuff will cut you too).  With further checking I decided to remove the packing.  What a job, but I got it out.

All this packing and carbon was all the way up in the pipe (which has no guts) and stuck hard against the outlet.  I think this is what caused the exhaust gasket leak that was confused with a bad head gasket.  The muffler was plugged.

Who could expect this kind of "time bomb" when buying a used bike?

The "Good News" is that I'm gonna take a chance and put this engine back together.  I don't think it needs a new head gasket.  I'll re-torque the head, seal the headcover and adjust the valves, and I'm betting the bike runs just fine.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #48 - 01/24/08 at 10:07:07

certainly from this vantage point stuffing the muffler full of steel wool seems like a moronic thing to do for several reasons - it would be interesting to know why it was done - perhaps just that - the muffler was gutted - that was too loud - so in went what was handy to make a glass pack sort of - just doesn't seem like the place for a flammable packing

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #49 - 01/24/08 at 18:13:31

well im gonna cross my fingers just hoping the bike will get running soon.

guess itll be time very soon to replace the muffler... hopefully ill have the funding available soon.

funny on the chevy truck i traded for the bike.. had sort of the same thing, clogged cataletic convertor which i replaced prior to the trade.. hmmm

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #50 - 01/24/08 at 18:19:24

Actually it would have worked had the builder put a perforated pipe down the middle to keep the packing in place and center clear. Given the heat and pressure waves of our blessed Thumpers, it probably not lasted long but absorbed some of the sound. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #51 - 01/24/08 at 19:22:59

unless it had enough flow to maintain a burn of the material - might have set record backfire  Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #52 - 01/24/08 at 19:39:20

Reelthing wrote on 01/24/08 at 10:07:07:
just doesn't seem like the place for a flammable packing

does steel wool burn?

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #53 - 01/24/08 at 20:09:54

I'm sure if it is hot and has sufficient oxygen it will burn (oxidize) rapidly. Seems like we used to burn out smitty's glasspacs used in my misspent youth. I even remember some were sold as steel pacs and lasted a little longer. I found an old one and it lasted a couple years on my 1988 GMC PU, found another in the road to replace it. Had to throw cycle money at an old PU. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 01/24/08 at 20:15:35

OK, I beleave steel wool fed into the combustion chamber of the shuttle and it'll burn.

But in the tail end of a savage, it'll just rust to death.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #55 - 01/24/08 at 20:40:26

nervekiler wrote on 01/24/08 at 18:13:31:
well im gonna cross my fingers just hoping the bike will get running soon.

guess itll be time very soon to replace the muffler... hopefully ill have the funding available soon.

funny on the chevy truck i traded for the bike.. had sort of the same thing, clogged cataletic convertor which i replaced prior to the trade.. hmmm

I had your bike running tonight.  All back together AND with a jump start (battery is really weak) she start right away.  That was with 1/2 choke.  She idles really smooth too.  It's only above idle that it starts acting up.

For starters, the bike needs to be rejetted and it does pop and backfire.  I saw the smoke puffing as you mentioned, but I am pretty certain that the exhaust gasket is leaking really bad.  That and the open exhaust is making it really lean (you noticed the bluing on the header, right?).  I checked the compression with the engine hot and the reading was 165 PSI this time.  Still in the range.

Oh yeah, the head nuts were really tight when I checked that...and the valves needed an adjustment.  They were a bit loose.  The top end looks really good and clean though.  I think we are the first ones to go in there in 11 years Tongue

I'll mess with it again tomorrow, but I'm sure it needs a new exhaust gasket.  If she finally turns out to not need a head gasket, the good news is that I do Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #56 - 01/24/08 at 20:44:12

Max_Morley wrote on 01/24/08 at 18:19:24:
Actually it would have worked had the builder put a perforated pipe down the middle to keep the packing in place and center clear. Given the heat and pressure waves of our blessed Thumpers, it probably not lasted long but absorbed some of the sound. Max

That big wad of steel wool was packed hard at the outlet.  All the way down in the pipe.  It took me a long time poking with a pry bar to get it to the other end where I could start pulling it out.

It was none-the-less interesting Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #57 - 01/24/08 at 20:52:31

Max_Morley wrote on 01/24/08 at 20:09:54:
I'm sure if it is hot and has sufficient oxygen it will burn (oxidize) rapidly. Seems like we used to burn out smitty's glasspacs used in my misspent youth. I even remember some were sold as steel pacs and lasted a little longer. I found an old one and it lasted a couple years on my 1988 GMC PU, found another in the road to replace it. Had to throw cycle money at an old PU. Max

It seems to me that when I was searching for packing for my Raask, that I saw steel wool listed somewhere.  Maybe for dirt bike spark arrestors.  I don't know.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 01/24/08 at 20:54:47

Reelthing wrote on 01/24/08 at 10:07:07:
certainly from this vantage point stuffing the muffler full of steel wool seems like a moronic thing to do for several reasons - it would be interesting to know why it was done - perhaps just that - the muffler was gutted - that was too loud - so in went what was handy to make a glass pack sort of - just doesn't seem like the place for a flammable packing

I will admit that the pipe really has a decent tone.  It is loud (NOW for sure) but it sort of growls  Cool

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #59 - 01/25/08 at 04:58:51

verslagen1 wrote on 01/24/08 at 20:15:35:
OK, I beleave steel wool fed into the combustion chamber of the shuttle and it'll burn.

But in the tail end of a savage, it'll just rust to death.

doesn't take quit that much - just grab a wad and put a lighter to it or use a 9-volt battery

but for a really good time ....

http://dangerouslyfun.com/fire-wire

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need to replace head gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.