Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
need to replace head gasket (Read 28 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: need to replace head gasket
Reply #30 - 01/07/08 at 10:33:04

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/06/08 at 06:51:42:
That's actually a very good point.  Some bikes have a bleeder for doing that, but while your cranking it, what's lubing the cam shaft?  A good idea is to use an assembly grease on the top end parts, so there is lube before the oil gets up there.

Agree .... I used a good deal of oil on all internal parts when reassembling.  I've been told that they make the above mentioned assembly grease, but used oil.   I was told to stay away from "Petroleum Jelly" that you can get in the grocery/drug store.  I was told it does not breakdown/dissolve as fast as it needs to in modern engines.   The older engines with looser tolerances might have been ok, but the tight tolerances of newer engines need real oil fast.   And with the low oil pressure the LS650 has, the Petro Jelly will cause a restriction holding oil from going into the far away spots like the head.  ((Nature says most things follow the path of least resistance))

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 01/07/08 at 10:51:28

I have never thought to use Petroleum jelly for that...for me it seems the opposite might be true though.  I could be wrong, but it seems like Petroleum jelly has too low a melting point.  Look how easily it liquefies on your skin.  Seems that it wouldn't be a very good lubricant, anyway.  Not like Moly-B does.

I learned to keep petroleum jelly handy while a mechanic in the Navy.  Good for slipping o-rings in place.  A light coat of that makes a rubber intake slide on a carb very easily...especially if you have a bank of 4 that all slide together at once (like Smokin Blue's GSX-R in stock form).

But anyway, we agree that you have to worry about a "dry start" when doing engine work  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 01/07/08 at 15:45:28

Greg, I don't unnerstand. Seems to me that the comp checker would get the "Full effect" the second or third time it hit compression, thus loading the comp checker to the value the cylinder provides. Why wont it work?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 01/08/08 at 04:30:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/07/08 at 15:45:28:
Greg, I don't unnerstand. Seems to me that the comp checker would get the "Full effect" the second or third time it hit compression, thus loading the comp checker to the value the cylinder provides. Why wont it work?

Oh, I don't think so, but you bring up a good point.  

Now mind ya, I'm considering a kick start bike as my "most recent" use of a compression tester, but if you have the spark plug out of the cylinder and the engine doesn't start (while testing), does the decompression solenoid stay engaged?  Or is it still just a "0.7 second wonder"?

When I checked mine in October, I just took the cable off anyway...

I'll have to check the SSM, but it just seems that the decomp solenoid would stay ON and cause an incorrect compression reading....

Guess, that I hadn't thought about it like that.  Hmmmm Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 01/08/08 at 05:06:38

Dam, you were right, and I was wrong.  I hate it when that happens...Tongue

When you push the starter button, this sequence happens.

1. Push start button
2. Decompression solenoid is ON.
3. After 0.2 seconds starter relay is ON
4. After 0.5 seconds decomp solenoid is OFF
5. The starter relay stays ON until you let go of the button

Total time for Decompression Solenoid ON is 0.7 seconds each time.  The starter will continue turning for a compression check.  Therefore, I didn't need to disconnect the cable.

DOH!   Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 01/08/08 at 05:18:51

That also means that if the decompression solenoid is on for only 0.7 seconds, it only helps you start the bike for about the first full cycle of the engine (1 or 2 revolutions).  So, if you have a problem with starting, and keep pressing the starter button, the decompression solenoid ain't doin' squat...

Of course, I never noticed that because my bike always starts immediately Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 01/08/08 at 17:53:41

Well,, awwrite, it feels good that sometimes I wonder & it works out. NOW, I have an old comp checker, but no attachment that lets it screw into my bike plug hole. Paid good $$ for that thing, I think it's a Proto, but how can I get it to work on the bike?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #37 - 01/08/08 at 22:05:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/08/08 at 17:53:41:
Well,, awwrite, it feels good that sometimes I wonder & it works out. NOW, I have an old comp checker, but no attachment that lets it screw into my bike plug hole. Paid good $$ for that thing, I think it's a Proto, but how can I get it to work on the bike?

I assume it is the type of gauge that will retain the pressure reading and has a pressure relief....But what happened to the attachment?  You can get a complete set at Harbor Freight if you need, anyway.

Here's how you do it though...

Remove the left chrome head cover (raise tank if needed), then start engine and let it warm up.  Then remove the plug and screw the hose in...

Then crank the engine over while holding the throttle wide open (so that you don't create any intake vacuum) and turn the engine over until you get it as high as it will go.

Stop and read gauge.  If happy, put it all together.  If not happy, tear that puppy apart Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 01/09/08 at 06:26:11

It's the parts I have probs with, no attachment to fit the plug threads. I'll check on Harbor Freight, sine we have one in town. Thanks for the "How To", I bet someone didn't know the steps.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #39 - 01/09/08 at 09:01:10

Is there a way to test compression  with the engine on the bench?.  I have one out  I don't think the starter works on it. I am presuming that the engine has to move at a fair speed to get an accurate reading
Your advice please, my learned sages
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 01/09/08 at 09:44:45

SteveRocket1 wrote on 01/09/08 at 09:01:10:
Is there a way to test compression  with the engine on the bench?.  I have one out  I don't think the starter works on it. I am presuming that the engine has to move at a fair speed to get an accurate reading
Your advice please, my learned sages
Steve

I don't know how you can test it on the bench with a compression tester.  For that you might use a leak down tester.  They're a good bit more expensive.

I suppose that a compression tester is usually used to find out if the engine needs to be on the bench, first.

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #41 - 01/11/08 at 22:51:22

so i got the headgasket in the mail two days ago.

go back into my email to check my tracking numbers and it said my clymers manual was delivery failed on the 3rd and then they stopped trying... i never got a notice? hmm
gonna have to stop by post office next week to check.. hopefully they dont send it back. how long does the post office typically hold mail (like parcels.. packages.. like a  book)

might have a weekend project herecoming soon.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 01/12/08 at 08:35:59

nervekiler wrote on 01/11/08 at 22:51:22:
so i got the headgasket in the mail two days ago.

go back into my email to check my tracking numbers and it said my clymers manual was delivery failed on the 3rd and then they stopped trying... i never got a notice? hmm
gonna have to stop by post office next week to check.. hopefully they dont send it back. how long does the post office typically hold mail (like parcels.. packages.. like a  book)

might have a weekend project herecoming soon.

I hate to say it, but if you're in a real crunch, Pro Caliber might have a Clymer manual.  I know they have quite a few there at the parts counter.

Of course, if you bought my CD, you'd have had it 2 weeks ago

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 01/23/08 at 07:12:57

Well, time to bring this topic back to the top...

This bike is now in my garage, and I'm gonna replace the head gasket.

Wish me luck Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 01/23/08 at 14:23:31

nervekiler wrote on 01/04/08 at 12:06:58:
the speedo on the bike says less than 1500 miles... but no telling if its the original tank and speedo.. i can tell its been repainted.

not sure why it blew but noticed a few signs of a small leak .. small puffs of smoke coming out near where the exhuast and head meet.
warming it up one day and it made a big puff and then died. wont start anymore.

im excited to start riding again.

I got down to this point before lunch..."small puffs of smoke," you said?  Well, your exhaust gasket was leaking really bad...and on first look, it blew carbon all around the top of the head where you see the edge of the head gasket....hmmm

I've got your battery on a charger, and in a bit I'm gonna run a compression test...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need to replace head gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.