Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
need to replace head gasket (Read 28 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: need to replace head gasket
Reply #15 - 01/03/08 at 22:48:36

As fast as USPS has been lately, I'm sure they order direct from Japan, ship via ground.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 01/03/08 at 22:56:35

verslagen1 wrote on 01/03/08 at 22:48:36:
As fast as USPS has been lately, I'm sure they order direct from Japan, ship via ground.

Actually, I do like USPS.  First class on all my CDs is usually no more than 3 days delivery US.

As for BikeBandit, my last order arrived Priority in 3 days.  Ron Ayers can take as long as 9 days...they order from Japan, I think Tongue

Motorcycle Superstore is also fast but they don't do OEM parts

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #17 - 01/03/08 at 22:59:48

thanks guys i just placed my order with bike bandit 11pm 1/3/08 guess we will see how long it takes. i chose standard cheap shipping

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 01/03/08 at 23:10:56

BTW - Isn't there a topic about Vendors in the Tech Section?

Can't remember...Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 01/03/08 at 23:11:43

nervekiler wrote on 01/03/08 at 22:59:48:
thanks guys i just placed my order with bike bandit 11pm 1/3/08 guess we will see how long it takes. i chose standard cheap shipping

Well, this will be a first.  I don't remember anyone actually witnessing a blown head gasket.  How old is the bike?

« Last Edit: 01/04/08 at 07:18:16 by Savage_Greg »  

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 01/04/08 at 10:04:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/03/08 at 23:11:43:
Well, this will be a first.  I don't remember anyone actually witnessing a blown head gasket.  How old is the bike?

So...what causes the head gasket to blow ?  

1) I thought it was a loose head, in other words, bolts not torqued enough..........
2) Or, improper assembly, which could be  related to #1 above.  But,  having done a head myself, the gasket part of the rebuild is rather simple so this one would be minor reason.

The used head I bought at the local salvage yard came from a bike that the guy said the bolts were just over a "finger tight" torque.  
Makes you wonder if that is why the bike was in the yard (blown head?), and also makes you wonder how many dealers "total" a bike for a blown head.  Note: I think the Dealer labor charges make the idea of totalling an "easy fix" a reality on the older Savages.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 01/04/08 at 11:42:24

"Why?" is the next logical question, for sure.

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #22 - 01/04/08 at 12:06:58

the speedo on the bike says less than 1500 miles... but no telling if its the original tank and speedo.. i can tell its been repainted.

not sure why it blew but noticed a few signs of a small leak .. small puffs of smoke coming out near where the exhuast and head meet.
warming it up one day and it made a big puff and then died. wont start anymore.

im excited to start riding again.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 01/05/08 at 08:13:52

nervekiler wrote on 01/04/08 at 12:06:58:
the speedo on the bike says less than 1500 miles... but no telling if its the original tank and speedo.. i can tell its been repainted.

not sure why it blew but noticed a few signs of a small leak .. small puffs of smoke coming out near where the exhuast and head meet.
warming it up one day and it made a big puff and then died. wont start anymore.

WELL, of course, the first and easiest way to check for a blown gasket would be a compression check, ya know.

Just have to remember to disable the decompression solenoid...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #24 - 01/05/08 at 19:19:42

The guy at the salvage yard said on the LS650 you got to make sure you're getting oil to the head after re-assembly before riding.  He said to loosen the one head cover bolt that passes thru the oil passage.  Crank and make sure you get oil out.

So....here's a funny. Grin When I put the engine back together, I kept the bolt loose like I was told to do.  Took the spark plug out so there was no compression  (no load) on the engine and then cranked it over for the first time.    I watch for oil coming out of the bolt..... nothing......crank again ...... nothing.  I thought., D..mn, I must have got sealant in the oil passages.    So, one more try, this time with the bolt all the way out.   Crank crank........ splash....oil all over my face & safety glasses  Shocked .    Slipped the bolt back in loosely and cranked and oil again......Yea....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 01/06/08 at 06:51:42

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/05/08 at 19:19:42:
The guy at the salvage yard said on the LS650 you got to make sure you're getting oil to the head after re-assembly before riding.  He said to loosen the one head cover bolt that passes thru the oil passage.  Crank and make sure you get oil out.

So....here's a funny. Grin When I put the engine back together, I kept the bolt loose like I was told to do.  Took the spark plug out so there was no compression  (no load) on the engine and then cranked it over for the first time.    I watch for oil coming out of the bolt..... nothing......crank again ...... nothing.  I thought., D..mn, I must have got sealant in the oil passages.    So, one more try, this time with the bolt all the way out.   Crank crank........ splash....oil all over my face & safety glasses  Shocked .    Slipped the bolt back in loosely and cranked and oil again......Yea....

That's actually a very good point.  Some bikes have a bleeder for doing that, but while your cranking it, what's lubing the cam shaft?  A good idea is to use an assembly grease on the top end parts, so there is lube before the oil gets up there.

Note to self:  Don't look in spark plug OR bolt hole when cranking engine Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 01/07/08 at 04:48:08

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/05/08 at 08:13:52:
anymore.

WELL, of course, the first and easiest way to check for a blown gasket would be a compression check, ya know.

Wuhhh? I thought the decomp dropped out after something like 2 seconds, just long enough of decomp to let the starter get everything swinging good. Is this not so?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #27 - 01/07/08 at 07:35:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/07/08 at 04:48:08:
anymore.

Wuhhh? I thought the decomp dropped out after something like 2 seconds, just long enough of decomp to let the starter get everything swinging good. Is this not so?

That's right, the decompression solenoid is de-energized 0.7 seconds after the startbutton is pushed in.( source the SSM)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 01/07/08 at 08:17:30

anymore.

Yeah, but you can't use it if you are doing a compression check.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 01/07/08 at 08:18:37

Kropatchek wrote on 01/07/08 at 07:35:04:
anymore.

That's right, the decompression solenoid is de-energized 0.7 seconds after the startbutton is pushed in.( source the SSM)

Yes, as per the SSM.  Pretty quick.  Ya gotta watch it to appreciate.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:20:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need to replace head gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.