Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: External fuel filter
Reply #30 - 12/04/07 at 10:42:50

Nice looking filter, but that requires more fuel line (under and over carb?)

You can still get a short one and just cut out about an inch of hose.

You had one break?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #31 - 12/04/07 at 12:20:03

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Nice looking filter, but that requires more fuel line (under and over carb?)

You can still get a short one and just cut out about an inch of hose.

You had one break?

I have reinforced clear fuel line to let me see flow (though it's not much more than a trickle in actual use) as the filter isn't one of the glass types.  The Amal's fuel tap is a banjo fitting that can be pointed to either side of the carb and I have it on the left.  Yes, several of the clear plastic filters ended up bending the tubing at one end or the other.  This was probably due to a little tension on the fuel line and enough heat over time to allow the plastic to bend.  In one case it bent enough to form a hairline crack that sprayed fuel onto the inside of my thigh at high revs.  It didn't leak at idle.  I decided I'd prefer something sturdier and I like the idea of reusability too.  I just clean when I clean my K&N air filter.  I also keep spare fuel line in my tool roll.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 12/04/07 at 17:49:04

Yea, right.  I wonder how much pressure drop that'll give that "high performance" oil pump, but I'll love to see it when you're done Tongue

What about your dirty gas tank?  There is always a little Carp in the bottom of a Carb.  That's a good reason for a bowl drain anyway.  Why do you need a filter?

I want the filter because there was a small amount of a fine brown powder in the bottom of my carb fuel bowl.  If this continues and adds up it could work its way through the carb and possibly eventually clog some part of it.  In any case nothing has any business being in the carb except gas.  The tank filter screen is too coarse to stop this fine dirt.  The tank is spotless internally although I flushed it out anyway.  You'd never see such a coarse screen design used as a factory filter before a car carburetor or fuel pump, so why tolerate it for a motorcycle carb?  I've worked for an oil company who supplies gasoline and you would be surprised at the fine dirt that gets into the gas during all the various transport and pumping stages.  The oil companies are aware of it and could care less.  They know your automobile filter will catch it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 12/05/07 at 01:51:03

Arthur provides us yet another indication of the need for the much finer filtration levels provided by folded paper type filtration.  

BTW, my stock petcOck filter screen was partially plugged up with brownish varnish deposits last time I took my petcOck off.  I think the fine brown powder he is finding in his tank are solids that parcipitate out of the gasoline (leftovers from the cracking process that are coming out of solution over time).  I had the same stuff inside my tank.  

Some refer to the brown stuff as rust particles, but I don't have any physical rust on the sides of my tank that I can tell and rust wouldn't coat a filter screen like this brown stuff can.

The screen type filters don't always cut it as varnish and fuel oxidation build up on screen surfaces (mainly because bikes can sit too much in the cold part of the year).   The little bits of varnish powder that do make it through the screen mesh aren't going to do your fine jets any good and they are going to build up in your float bowl.

But opinions do vary.  As do the approaches to keeping all the trash out of your carburetor.

And we wouldn't be having this somewhat detailed discussion if it were springtime and the weather was nice, because we would all be out riding.  

Winter can get boring.

Lancer, any news on the cam chain order?

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 12/05/07 at 07:06:19

Arthur wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I want the filter because there was a small amount of a fine brown powder in the bottom of my carb fuel bowl.  If this continues and adds up it could work its way through the carb and possibly eventually clog some part of it.  In any case nothing has any business being in the carb except gas.  The tank filter screen is too coarse to stop this fine dirt.  The tank is spotless internally although I flushed it out anyway.  You'd never see such a coarse screen design used as a factory filter before a car carburetor or fuel pump, so why tolerate it for a motorcycle carb?  

What can I say?  You've had your mind made up.  Never mind anyone else's experience.  Right?  Good luck.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 12/05/07 at 07:44:42

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Arthur provides us yet another indication of the need for the much finer filtration levels provided by folded paper type filtration.  

BTW, my stock petcOck filter screen was partially plugged up with brownish varnish deposits last time I took my petcOck off.  I think the fine brown powder he is finding in his tank are solids that parcipitate out of the gasoline (leftovers from the cracking process that are coming out of solution over time).  I had the same stuff inside my tank.  

Some refer to the brown stuff as rust particles, but I don't have any physical rust on the sides of my tank that I can tell and rust wouldn't coat a filter screen like this brown stuff can.

The screen type filters don't always cut it as varnish and fuel oxidation build up on screen surfaces (mainly because bikes can sit too much in the cold part of the year).   The little bits of varnish powder that do make it through the screen mesh aren't going to do your fine jets any good and they are going to build up in your float bowl.

But opinions do vary.  As do the approaches to keeping all the trash out of your carburetor.

Oldfeller

Wow.  I never dreamed that I'd beens so lucky during 40 years of riding.  How ever did I escape all these nightmare scenarios in all my bikes?  I guess the Savage is a lot more "high tech" than even I knew.  Tongue

A lot of the stuff in your tank has to do with past maintenance practices on your bike.  Water, old gas and dirt.  The photo above is not a photo of a petc0ck from Ron Ayers.  That is mine after 7 years of use.  See any varnish?  (I know, I must have cleaned it up, right?)

Sure you get some dirt from the fuel, but the fact that things were stuck in your filter proves that it does it's job.  Stuff that goes through the screen is actually able to go through your carb, too.

Let's not just talk about "fine" jets, either.  Let's be more accurate.  A main jet orifice (#145-155) is from 1.45 to 1.55 MM which means that the diameter is .057 to .061".  That's almost 1/16".  If you have stuff clogging the main jet, you've got bigger problems to worry about...(I'll let you calculate the other jets and orifices)

IMHO, if you want to over engineer it, that's just fine.  However, that's doesn't mean that it's necessary to keep your carb clean.  There is a drain on the bottom of your carb, too.  Open it up from time to time, and let that fine stuff out.

Oh...and once you feel that your fuel is spotless and clear, don't forget that water still goes through the tank and inline filters.  Water can condense from the air or come out of the gas pump, so regular maintenance is still a good idea anyway.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 12/05/07 at 08:04:07

Oh yeah...I cleaned these carbs last summer.

This green stuff didn't go through a filter.  This is called poor maintenance.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #37 - 12/05/07 at 16:51:58

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Carb_Deposits.jpg

cant find a pm schedule for the carb in the owners man or the ssm..
so if i was a young new rider and had no Handy experience id think bout installin an external fuel filter cause i have some mechanical aptitude and i love my bike and want her to last..an external clear fuel filter IS
preventive maintenence.....
why do ANY mods that dont make her go or stop??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 12/05/07 at 20:00:05

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Carb_Deposits.jpg

That green stuff is from water corroding the brass floats.  No filter will stop water, but the right filter will stop particulate matter, which has no place in a carb and which every automobile manufacturer provides somewhere in the fuel system for this reason.  Had the owner of those corroded carbs bothered to keep his tank full and with gas treated with a stabilizer, and if he had bothered to drain the bottom of the tank and bowls from time to time, the brass would not have corroded.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 12/06/07 at 06:42:57

Put some SeaFoam in your gas once every couple months it will clean the carb without taking it apart. Also run a tank of high octane gas which has cleaners in it every couple months.SeaFoam also lubes the slides in the carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #40 - 12/06/07 at 12:51:09

That green stuff is from water corroding the brass floats.  No filter will stop water, but the right filter will stop particulate matter, which has no place in a carb and which every automobile manufacturer provides somewhere in the fuel system for this reason.  Had the owner of those corroded carbs bothered to keep his tank full and with gas treated with a stabilizer, and if he had bothered to drain the bottom of the tank and bowls from time to time, the brass would not have corroded.  

As long as we're engaging in this "engaging" discussion, I'll just say that many automotive type filters WILL absorb water.  That's why they work as diesel fuel filters as well.  Any cotton based or similar synthetic media will collect water in both oil and fuel.

I have a bypass oil filter on my 1-ton van that will absorb almost 2-quarts of water from the oil...in addition it filters oil down to 0.1 microns.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 12/06/07 at 17:47:22

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
As long as we're engaging in this "engaging" discussion, I'll just say that many automotive type filters WILL absorb water.  That's why they work as diesel fuel filters as well.  Any cotton based or similar synthetic media will collect water in both oil and fuel.

I have a bypass oil filter on my 1-ton van that will absorb almost 2-quarts of water from the oil...in addition it filters oil down to 0.1 microns.
\
I knew I should have been more specific after I made that post.  You are referring to a 'diesel/water separator.  It does not 'filter' out the water but rather repels it when it hits the anabolic media.  It then collects at the bottom of the filter until it is either drained or discarded.  A true filter collects the contaminants in the media itself....wait.... that wasn't always true... there are primitive bowl filters whose bronze element would collect the contaminants, AND allow contaminants to collect in the bottom of the bowl.  I give up!  My apologies.  I was thinking motorcycle applications.  I'm sorry I ever asked about a fuel filter to begin with!!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #42 - 12/07/07 at 06:53:06

arthur,
dont be sorry...this is a forum where free exchange of ideas and opinions are expressed.your thread is a prime example.  8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #43 - 12/07/07 at 13:36:43

Sorry Arthur, I wasn't trying to bust your chops, I was just pointing out there are a myriad of options if you're not going to stick to stock.  I've considered switching to a full-sized auto filter on my M/C, I've already plumbed in an oil cooler.  If I had a fuel pump, I'd consider a better fuel filter as well.  I'm not sure where to draw the line between "motorcyle application" and "automotive application" since there is so much overlap.  I know somebody has to think inside the box, but some of us don't.   Grin

If I've offended you, please forgive me, it certainly was not my intent.   Embarrassed

As for the TP filter idea, it will also filter down to about 0.1 microns AND it will absorb water from the oil.  Unless I'm mistaken, it think it requires about 15 psi to do an efficient job, but as long as you only allow a small amount of flow, and flow from a pressure port into a non-pressure area, it should still work as advertised.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 12/07/07 at 18:25:32

No No, I was not offended and appreciated all the responses.  The problem with typing a message is that you can never tell what the writer's (My) attitude is.  I was shaking my head at myself for having started such a controversial thread.... I was not offended.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:11:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › External fuel filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.