Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeaky Belt (Read 8 times)
jmerry
Ex Member

Squeaky Belt
12/05/07 at 12:19:07

Hey Guys,

I have an 06 S40 with about 3800 miles, and recently the drive belt started squeaking like mad.  Worse when it's colder and seems to get better as it warms.. Can't figure it out, it's a realitively new bike, and the alignment of the wheel hasn't changed.  

Any tips to get this resolved??  

Thanks!!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Squeaky Belt
Reply #1 - 12/05/07 at 12:27:05

read in the tech sect.  when the drive belt is too tight, it squeeks.  90 degree twist by hand on the lower belt = correct tension

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #2 - 12/05/07 at 15:54:18

Also the Factory/Shop alignment is not always right on. Mine was way off (brand new) and DON'T trust those swingarm markings. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/05/07 at 16:48:34

no im not goin do it... it was just last week we got thru deciding what kind of organic lube to put on your belt..
yeah feed the bees castor oil and use the wax they produce...
sry jmerry... search your topic i swear it was just last week ...or so...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 12/05/07 at 17:41:35

Squeel, screetch, chirp forum on 2nd page of Rubber side down Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 12/06/07 at 04:21:07

Sorry Jmerry.  This subject is almost painful anymore.

We discussed, argued, debated and explored this topic just last week...twice, I think.

Please do a topic search...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 12/06/07 at 04:40:37

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
...and DON'T trust those swingarm markings. Smiley

WHY not?

(...i couldn't resist)

Tongue

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 12/06/07 at 09:56:59

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
WHY not?

(...i couldn't resist)

Tongue

Cause you could look like a dirt-tracker going straight down the road Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 12/06/07 at 13:32:19

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Cause you could look like a dirt-tracker going straight down the road Grin

I COULD look like that, but why would I THINK that I do?  Tongue

Of course, if you created a Tech Section topic with photos that show the swingarm marks with a comparison to your string alignment, that might be a really good read.  I'd like to see it proven, if it is really true.  What ya think?

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 12/07/07 at 12:09:32

I'll do that soon Grin

IP Logged
Bradc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/07/07 at 22:53:33

Hey Jemerry:

The squeak of the belt of my 2006 S-40 had me contemplating suicide -- I bought some Harley Davidson "Poly-Oil," put it on my belt in the parking lot of the Harley dealer with of my bare hands...no rag...anyway, the "Poly-Oil got rid of the squeek immediately.  And I don't be seem to get any build-up on the drive belt that others have feared due to putting somthing on the belt.  I adjusted the belt tension aftterwards, despite that the "half-twist" test showed ithe tensioan to be right on.  The guage in the tool kit indicated it was loose so I thightened the belt  Comparing the measurments with the guage to testing the belt, it seemed the guage was more accurate then the belt twisting metod-- when I moved the adjustment bolt I could see the guage move but I couldn't tell much difference in how hard it was to twist the belt.

BRad

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 12/08/07 at 06:57:14

The "90 degree twist method" is a 1/4 twist and not a 1/2 twist.  

I works because it DOES make the belt looser than when it is set with the gage.  Therefore, you can't compare the tension when set with the gage and the twist method.

People just don't seem to get it.  They buy a reasonably new bike with a belt that was adjusted with the gage by the dealer, but it squeaks.  So trusting that the gage and the dealer must be correct, they contradict their own logic and buy a belt dressing that isn't even made by Suzuki.  "Gee, I guess that if Harley sells it, it must be good..."

No where in the manual does it suggest putting any kind of dressing on the belt.  The belt squeaks simply because it is too tight.  Loosen it up, however you want, and the squeak will stop.

KISS

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #12 - 12/08/07 at 08:01:31

I too got the squeak as winter came on. I had a rear flat back in the spring. When I put the tire back on I used the twist method and all was well. Started getting the squeak and read more. Realized I had used too much effort to twist by one of the postings. Loosened the belt just a touch to where the belt cpuld be twisted with moderate force, No more Squeak!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 16:59:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeaky Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.