Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
External fuel filter (Read 23 times)
Arthur
Ex Member

External fuel filter
11/30/07 at 19:23:45

I've done a search on the tech reference and could find no answer to what kind of external fuel filter fits well on my 96 Savage.  The one recommended by Clymer is the wrong hose I.D. and too bulky anyway.  I went through the inventory of a local parts store and they are all too bulky.  I could fit one of them in, but it would hang at odd angles to the petcock and carb. configuration and stick out a little from the side of the frame, where my leg could brush up against it.  Has anyone found a tiny external filter that would tuck in nicely between the carb and petcock?  I want to use one after finding silt in my carb bowl, which had passed through the internal tank filter.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: External fuel filter
Reply #1 - 11/30/07 at 19:29:31

Look for a lawnmower filter.I have one on my '86 it's clear,has a straight inlet and a 90 degree outlet it's only about 2" long.It was about $5.00.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1018389/
Click on pic to enlarge,you can kinda see it

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 12/01/07 at 06:24:09

There are suitable fuel filters at jcwhitney.com for motorcycles under 950cc's.  No weird angles or extra bulk, only about 1" long...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 12/01/07 at 06:37:39

You have to look for filters at bike shops.  There are lots of small ones.  

Auto parts stores carry filters that are too big.  Most likely because autos use a higher volume of fuel, involve a fuel pump and may be harder to service anyway.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 12/01/07 at 06:53:15

small clear plastic type shaped like a top on suzi got it at the local motorcycle acessorys store $2...can see picture @ jpcycles.com they charge $5.99

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 12/01/07 at 07:13:27

Why do you need another filter ?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/01/07 at 07:38:23

Because the carburetor bowl had a small amount of silt in the bottom of it, and because the internal tank filter's screen design is not fine enough to stop extremely small particulate matter from passing through.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 12/01/07 at 08:25:14

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
 Why do you need another filter ?
it works can see carp in there....

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 12/01/07 at 11:01:35

Arthur wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Because the carburetor bowl had a small amount of silt in the bottom of it, and because the internal tank filter's screen design is not fine enough to stop extremely small particulate matter from passing through.

Actually, you may need an automotive type filter to catch the size particles you want to get.  When I first got my bike, it had lots of rust in the tank.  I used a VW Beetle fuel filter with a paper element to catch all the "carp", then switched to a m/c inline filter which is really just a screen.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 12/01/07 at 14:19:02

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Actually, you may need an automotive type filter to catch the size particles you want to get.  When I first got my bike, it had lots of rust in the tank.  I used a VW Beetle fuel filter with a paper element to catch all the "carp", then switched to a m/c inline filter which is really just a screen.
got my 06 brand new 0 miles
1 st mod i did was the fuel filter..carp comes from the pump,nozzle, and other sources...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 12/01/07 at 15:45:25

Go to any auto parts store and ask them where the in line fuel filters are.   They are all big enough to process our small fuel feed amount.   Pick one with a clear body so you can see if you have gas or not (you'll need this feature when chasing petcock problems).

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/01/07 at 19:00:40

I did just that but they are all too big to fit between the carb and petcock without long hose pieces or right angle fuel line fittings, all of which create an awkward mess alongside the engine and which stick out from the side of the bike.  I need a tiny filter the likes of which have been suggested in earlier posts.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 12/02/07 at 07:33:49

Hey Reelthing, what's all this CARP in here?

Anyway, just go to a bike shop or web site and get an inline filter.  There are lots of different sizes to choose from and they will all catch a lot of CRAP.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 12/02/07 at 13:13:13

Wow.  Can't see it, huh?

I'm sitting here busily fitting a Chinese red dot scope on to a hundred plus year old Austrian-Hungarian empire calvary trooper's .331 caliber saddle-carbine and you want me to stop what I'm doing and go take you a picture of an in-line fuel filter hose routing?  

Of course you can't stick a fuel filter in the little short existing line that you've got -- think about it a bit, the filter is almost as long as your existing fuel line.  

Improvise a bit, be creative.

All I did was take about 8 inches of standard old stiff automotive fuel hose, come out the side of the carburetor, go up under the seat, come about in a loop and come back to the outlet side of the large clear fuel filter.  Loop is big so the hose never gets crimped, ever.   A short piece of hose goes from the petc0ck to the inlet side of the fuel filter.

It's a piece of cake compared to putting optics on a straight pull goose-stepper saddle carbine, believe me.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/02/07 at 17:06:09

It would have been easy to loop a long length of fuel line and use an automobile type see through filter, but the last thing I want is un-necessary fuel line looped around any part of an exposed motorcycle, especially since mine has a bouncing springer seat. The small right angle paper element type filters talked about in the above posts allow for a short hosed, tight installation. But thanks for the suggestion.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 16:58:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › External fuel filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.