Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: External fuel filter
Reply #15 - 12/03/07 at 03:29:11

I'm glad it was easy, that's my very favorite way to do things.  

As far as clearance to your springer seat goes -- what are you going to do with the rest of those nasty hoses and electrical wires that run under the seat area?  They are all in danger from your seat springs and all that frantic pinching and mashing that is going on between the coils.

Does your pinching action go below the frame rails?  That hose routing doesn't go above them, you know.  If you needed, you could use a cable tie or two for reassurance.

I think Bary68v10 was the first to mention that you do want an automotive pleated filter and the reason why -- most bike-type filters are just a piece of fine brass screen no bigger than a 50 cent piece.   Some of the small auto filters use the same brass screen material, just a bit more of it.   We have all seen what happens to the same sort of screening on the petc0ck itself -- it gets plugged up with trash and varnish over time.

All of the right angle filter types I have seen use it.

You can plug these screen-type filters up over the course of a year or three, then you are chasing diagnositcs between a potential petcOck problem and a plugged fuel filter.

A big-assed clear auto fuel filter with a pleated paper filter element (1) filters a lot finer than a screen can (2) holds 1000 times more trash before becoming plugged up (3) can be visually inspected at a glance to see what's going on - shows trash and water, ect  (4) shows up as partially fuel empty if your petc0ck is having vacuum issues which results in poor fuel flow (a diagnostic aid) and costs the same as the smaller right angle filters.

In any case, you're welcome.  My pleasure.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 12/03/07 at 08:34:23

Does a $5 filter really require this much discussion?  Come on.  You all are making this sound like a major engineering decision.  We trying to get 100K miles out of a fuel filter?

Get short fuel filter at bike shop.  Cut fuel line.  Install fuel filter.  Done.

KISS Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 12/03/07 at 13:03:57

I have never put and external fuel filter on my bikes and I don't no anyone that has, and I've never had a problem,I would think if they were need the motorcycle companies would put them on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #18 - 12/03/07 at 16:07:13

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Does a $5 filter really require this much discussion?  Come on.  You all are making this sound like a major engineering decision.  We trying to get 100K miles out of a fuel filter?

Get short fuel filter at bike shop.  Cut fuel line.  Install fuel filter.  Done.

KISS Roll Eyes
easy gus dont rain on the parade dble kiss Kiss

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 12/03/07 at 16:08:00

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
 I have never put and external fuel filter on my bikes and I don't no anyone that has, and I've never had a problem,I would think if they were need the motorcycle companies would put them on.
visible insurance/p.o.m.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #20 - 12/03/07 at 16:10:27

arthur have you found a suitable filter yet??if not p.m. me and i'll send you one just to keep THE savage greg in his cage!!!lol  Kiss

IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/03/07 at 20:00:56

Okay, okay, yes I got the filter and now this matter can be put to rest.  However, I have one of those 1950's toilet paper oil filter kits with the metal pot and lid assembly in which you place a roll of toilet paper and route your oil lines to and from it.  Its supposed to REALLY clean the oil better than any conventional filter.  I'm thinking about plumbing it into my Savage, perhaps with a Suzuki decal on its side so it looks factory original.  Would anyone care to comment on this? Savage Greg?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 12/03/07 at 21:08:15

Toilet paper might work for those old cages with high pressure oil systems, but you only got a few psi to work with.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #23 - 12/03/07 at 21:58:48

Arthur wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Okay, okay, yes I got the filter and now this matter can be put to rest.  However, I have one of those 1950's toilet paper oil filter kits with the metal pot and lid assembly in which you place a roll of toilet paper and route your oil lines to and from it.  Its supposed to REALLY clean the oil better than any conventional filter.  I'm thinking about plumbing it into my Savage, perhaps with a Suzuki decal on its side so it looks factory original.  Would anyone care to comment on this? Savage Greg?
search oil cooler to see plumbing variations..btw dad put one of those on his 1960 chevy apache 10..was my job to do oil changes back then, threw the old oil and the tp filter over the back fence into the "wash"(arnold rides a bike thru the updated version ) i was just a kid!! didnt know any better plus it kept the weeds down and i wanted dinner so...

IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 12/04/07 at 05:59:08

Heh I was joking!  I would never put that ugly monstrosity on my Savage.  Anyway they had the reputation of having the toilet paper disintegrate into tiny bits which passed through the screen at the bottom of the canister and clogged oil passages.  The question is, Charmin or generic brand?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 12/04/07 at 06:28:09

My dad had one of those on his pickup when I was a kid and he seemed to like it a lot.  I remember him changing the oil and peeling off some of the paper from the roll in order to get it to fit.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 12/04/07 at 07:18:33

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
easy gus dont rain on the parade dble kiss Kiss

Just trying to provide a little impetus and being proactive.  It is a no brainer, as most of you know.  If Arthur wants to install one, then he just needs to know that...without a lot of "over thinking" about it.  

Besides, the biggest confusion was caused by going to an auto parts store in the first place.  Most don't even carry motorcycle fuel line...unless you want to use stuff intended for fuel injection.

Of course, the question that hasn't been asked is "Why do you need it?"  If there is that much CARP in the fuel, there's a bigger issue to worry about...

KISS back at ya Kiss Kiss Kiss

After all, my old petc0ck filter works just fine anyway.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 12/04/07 at 07:28:57

Arthur wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

Yea, right.  I wonder how much pressure drop that'll give that "high performance" oil pump, but I'll love to see it when you're done Tongue

What about your dirty gas tank?  There is always a little Carp in the bottom of a Carb.  That's a good reason for a bowl drain anyway.  Why do you need a filter?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 12/04/07 at 08:16:53

What's better natural or synthetic filter material?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 12/04/07 at 08:47:47

I have a reusable filter on mine that you just clean and reinstall.  It's described on the JP Cycles site as having a stainless steel element but it's actually a brass element.  I switched to this because I'd found the tubes on each end of the disposable plastic filters began to bend over time (possibly due to heat from the engine in the summer months here) and one even developed a crack that sprayed fuel onto my thigh.

If you zoom in on the image below, you get an idea as to how it looks on my bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:50:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › External fuel filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.