Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixing Tyres? (Read 10 times)
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Mixing Tyres?
11/24/07 at 06:59:13

Any views on running different tyre brands? My Savage came with Maxxis (AKA Chen Shing) HI MAX F & R. While the rear is as new, the front could do with replacing.  Altho' I don't like CS tyres, I'd rather do without expense of a new rear so near to Xmas, so will a Conti Milestone up front while keping the rear for a while be OK? Or is a matched pair (even CS) actually "better"?
The Hi Max are less than half the price of Contis!
All views welcome!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Mixing Tyres?
Reply #1 - 11/24/07 at 07:38:04

My bike came with the OEM IRC tires.  Got a set of Dunlop D404's, replaced the rear, held off on the front as it wasn't worn out.  Ran 4000 miles before I did the front.  The rear was getting worn, picked up another rear wheel, with good rubber, not Dunlop, and have been running that for the last 7000 miles.

But I go no where near the limits of performance.

(Corrected, Rocking John is right.)

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 11/24/07 at 08:56:57

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
My bike came with the OEM Chen Shing tires.  Got a set of Dunlop D404's, replaced the rear, held off on the front as it wasn't worn out.  Ran 4000 miles before I did the front.  The rear was getting worn, picked up another rear wheel, with good rubber, not Dunlop, and have been running that for the last 7000 miles.

But I go no where near the limits of performance.

I think the last sentence of Paladin's statement above is key. Unless you ride on the ragged edge of traction limits, I doubt the difference of having mixed tires on a Savage would be that much of a distraction. I know that having a Dunlop 404 on the rear, and an Avon on the front of my 99 works just fine.

In fact, I'd choose them above the matched set of OEM tires by IRC that are still on my 87 after 20 years. (I thought IRC had always supplied the OEM Savage tires?) Anyways, I've got to get those IRCs off the 87 because of the weather cracking, even though they still have a little tread on them. (I'm not currently riding the 87, just starting it occasionally.)

IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #3 - 11/24/07 at 09:58:01

Thanks both.
I doubt I go near the limit - mainly that the roads hereabouts have large proportions of painted areas! The cheapo, hard, "nylon" boots on both my Viragos squirmed nastily on such stuff even in the dry.  Milestones  MUCH better.
Conti front for now I think.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #4 - 11/26/07 at 23:33:21

As I understand it: it is not generally recomended to mix tire types because different rubber compounds react differently when breaking, taking curves and specially in wet weather.  

I suppose it is fine to mix, let's say, a new Dunlop with a similar older Dunlop, but I personally would try not to mix different brands.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 11/27/07 at 04:09:38

Has anyone went to a wider tire on front to slow down handling a bit. To me the front end feels pretty light once you get up over 60 mph.I did that to a 500 moto guzzi both front and back and it felt like a bigger bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 11/27/07 at 04:40:22

I have a 110/90-19 on the front of mine.But it needs a fork brace bad,the front fender is off.Rides good at speed,but slow wants to follow the ruts in the road.I personally like a skinny front tire.90/90-21 on the Harley

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 11/27/07 at 04:49:34

I wonder why it would follow ruts in the road ,is it the size tire or the brand of tire. What brand do you have

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 11/27/07 at 05:06:59

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
 I wonder why it would follow ruts in the road ,is it the size tire or the brand of tire. What brand do you have

tire size, we have dunlop 404s on both bikes, front and rear. we both have 130/16 rear, i have a 100/90/19 on the front of my bike and debby has a 130/16 on the front of hers, and her bike feels the grooves, ruts, and irregularities in the road surface WAY more than mine. it is not squirrely or dangerous feeling, just different, i guess you get used to what you ride.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 11/27/07 at 06:13:32

Azjay what kind of bikes do you have with those size tires?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 11/28/07 at 05:10:41

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
 Azjay what kind of bikes do you have with those size tires?

i ride a '84 HD fxrp (police glide) debby rides a '97 HD road king now. she started on a '96 savage (which is how we ended up here), my dad has it now, and rides it daily.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 11/28/07 at 05:32:52

Ok thanks

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #12 - 11/29/07 at 04:50:59

I ran mine most of the summer with a Shinko Tourmaster 203 on the rear and the OEM IRC in the front with no problems.

Now that the front tire is sufficiently worn, I'm taking the wheel over and getting the tourmaster front put on.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:29:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mixing Tyres?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.