Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage strength (Read 19 times)
TCMJim
Ex Member

Savage strength
11/22/07 at 18:21:59

Howdy Folks,

New guy here Colorado Springs, Co. I am currently without a MC but am wanting one so badly I can't hardly stand it. Anyway, I saw some information about the Savage on another site recently that lead me to this site.

My question is, being as I am 6 ft. and 245 lb, will this bike handle steep mountain passes with myself and traveling gear? I plan to use the bike mostly for getting to and from the office, house calls for patients, and occasionally traveling to Albuquerque, NM and Denver, Co. On the way to Albuqueque I will be riding through the Raton pass. The is 10,000+ ft. while Co. Sp. is about 6200 ft.

How well will this bike handle traveling through passes like this?

Will I be able to keep up with traffic, 75 mph, easily with enough power left over to get me out of a jam?

If I purchase a used bike, assuming the bike is in very good to excellent condition, how old of a bike is acceptable to do what I need.

One other thing to consider, I currently ride a Yahama C3 50cc scooter. This will be my first MC.

Thanks for help.

Jim

Boycott shampoo. Demand Real Poo!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Savage strength
Reply #1 - 11/22/07 at 18:42:21

i love the savage, but under the conditions you discribe, i see a good twin in your future.  others can make a better review of them than i.  

for me the savage fit's my needs perfectly.
the other option if to pick one up ride it for a while then buy a twin but keep the single.  nothing better than a garage full of motorcycles.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 11/22/07 at 19:08:33

I've only been to Denver, Longmont and Boulder on business.  My Savage would have no problems going up I-25 at 75 mph, but up there, it's a flat run at only 5300 feet.  Not sure about getting up to 10K feet....is there oxygen up there?????  Kidding.......if other bikes do it, then the Savage can.  

It's a great first step up from a scooter.  Very good commuter bike.  Small, light, inexpensive and it's got torque.    As for a longer ride for a six footer,  Sluggo may be right with a v-twin.    Other option is to get a Savage/S40 to see if you like MC's and then step up.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 11/22/07 at 19:08:51

I am 5/9 and 220 lbs.  The Savage carries it just fine during 100+ mile rides and running around town.  I will have to agree with the above for what you will use a mc for.

Be carefull and ride safe!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 11/22/07 at 20:41:04

welcome to the site from the west slope (gj)raton pass this time of year ??? got studded tires??  otherwise when roads are dry den and the querque are doable with some mods..change the belt to chain and lower the final ratio for the longgg ride to the Q every 100 miles youll need a gas pump...gel pad for the saddle or taxi seat beads unless youre an iron butt..
i go up over the mesa(4500 to 10000+) couple three times a year do a couple of 160mi rt poker runs a year(montrose and back) am 185# 5'9" did muff mod 3" hard krome,k&n drop in desnorkel and had dealer do carb tune with his o2 sensor..have the oem fly screen ..
wish list..
larger front shield,forward controlls,pillow seat(old arse)
chain convert..
again welcome, use the search feature get a manual pm me if you want to talk by LL...savager over here with a 95 think hes given up ridin may want to sell..

the ls has the balls if you do!!!

btw theres a savager in the springs air force i think dont remember his moniker tho..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
TCMJim
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/23/07 at 11:41:07

Hody Folks,

Many thanks to one and all for your advice. You are very much appreciated.

As I stated in the original post, I am new to motorcycles therefore, it may be a lot simpler to go with a twin to begin with and not worry about doing a lot conversions on the bike until I learn more about how they work. I may save buying a Savage until later. They sure are nice looking bikes, and as sluggo says there is "nothing better than a garage full of motorcycles."

Stay upright and ride safe.

Jim

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 11/23/07 at 12:04:57

Just get a Savage. As big as you are, the torque will do you good.
It's as light as a twin and as tame as you want it to be.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #7 - 11/23/07 at 12:39:51

"not worry about doing a lot conversions on the bike"

IMHO question of "conversions" a bit irrelevant for a "first" bike. Again opinion-only, but while you may be on the big side, it wll still be your FIRST proper bike and, old fashioned as I undoubtedly am, I reckon a 650 (even a single) is bike enough for starters.

Light, easy handling and responsive (without hurtling you up the road if your hand/brain slips), seems a pretty good starting point to me.

Whatever, good luck!

IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #8 - 11/23/07 at 15:16:31

TCMJim, most people here love these bikes and are going to give a biased opinion.  I bought one a few weeks ago, and it already feels kinda like a toy to me.  You can't go wrong getting one as a first bike, but I bet your gonna want something bigger real soon.

Don't get me wrong, It's fun to ride and will probably have enough power for you.  But your a big guy.  Your gonna look like a gorilla on a tricycle riding a savage.

If you can afford it get a better bike.  I already want one.  With that all said...When I get a bigger bike I would still like to keep my savage if I can afford to.

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 11/23/07 at 15:30:34

Quote:
Your gonna look like a gorilla on a tricycle riding a savage.

It's weight will make it a superior 1st bike no matter your size. Don't buy something you can't afford to drop. Check insurance too, guaranteed higher over 650.
To be fair I checked out the new Honda Spirit 750 now w/ shaft drive,  considered selling both and getting the new shaftie. Why have one 750 when a 650 and a 800 will do better?  Grin
From  a stop the Savage is quicker than 800, because it's lighter.
Unlike cages, bikes have personalities.
Kept mine, prefer it for short urban trips. Gets the best mileage. When gas hits $5 you won't  be sorry.
Cousin, ex-Savage owner keeps buggin me to sell the Savage to him.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #10 - 11/23/07 at 18:26:21

For the condition you describe, a stock Savage is marginal for power at best. Probably not acceptable for the long term. With that said, if you want to do some tinkering and modifications, the Savage probably has enough capability to do it. It's weight makes it a good first choice for a new rider. You also don't say how long your commute is. If it is on the longish side, comfort and gas tank capacity may also enter into the equation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:38:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage strength

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.