Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
petcock only works on prime (Read 25 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: petcock only works on prime
Reply #15 - 11/17/07 at 18:46:20

Amen.

IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 11/17/07 at 18:49:28

I dont have a problem converting to a maual petcock. I just want to know if that will solve my problem. I did not want to convert the petcock and then it be something else. I did not think it was a needle or jet problem if it did not happen on prime.  If you guys think the petcock conversion will solve my problem I will do it tomorrow.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 11/17/07 at 19:15:19

This sure seems odd - the only way for fuel to come out of those vents is for the float to not cut the gas off - sounds like a float failure.

This PRI stuffs,,, no offense but your sure? there is a arrow on the fuel lever showing which way - so you really just point the long part of the handle - not top of handle - to PRI and such

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 11/17/07 at 22:47:06

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Also, I would consider removing the internal fuel screen and adding an inline fuel filter...that change added about 30 miles to a tank of gas for me.

How would that effect mileage?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 11/18/07 at 07:35:17

I went to drain the tank to convert the petcock and when in prime or any other position fuel wiil not run out. I thought fuel would drain from the tank on prime position. I put the lever in all 3 positions and it will not drain in any. If i start the bike it will run fuel out in prime but in run position the fuel pulsates noticeably. Am I correct in assuming it is definitely the petcock?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 11/18/07 at 07:43:38

like both - an odd acting petc0ck and a float the does not close the needle - fuel does pulse on run with the engine at idle - but pri should stream fuel engine running or not - at least drain the tank and pull that petc0ck - may just need to clean screen.

IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 11/18/07 at 08:40:54

I forgot to mention that I had pulled the fuel line off of the carb at idle to see the fuel flow. It pulsed at run and reserve but flowed smoothly on prime. The vacuum must be what pulls the fuel even on prime? If it flows smoothly on prime why would the float have anything to do with it. Also the guy I bought the bike from supposedly replaced the diaphram. Is it possible he reversed the position underneath the petcock lever when he put it back together?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 11/18/07 at 10:22:08

Prime position should flow constant, all the time, no vacumm needed.  If it does not, the screen must be plugged or you're tank is empty.
Run and reserve should not flow without the engine vacuum pulling the diaphragm in the petc0ck open.

"I forgot to mention that I had pulled the fuel line off of the carb at idle to see the fuel flow. It pulsed at run and reserve but flowed smoothly on prime."
"I went to drain the tank to convert the petthingy and when in prime or any other position fuel wiil not run out. "

The combination of these two statements and the fact that the bike runs on prime, defies logic.  I am totally stumped.

That being said,... the problem has to be in the petc0ck, so pull it, take it apart, and see what's going on in there.

Then let us know what you see.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #23 - 11/18/07 at 10:45:59

I think you need to check the clearance on the valves, particularly the intake. It appears to be pressurizing the carb/intake manifold on the compression/power events. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/18/07 at 12:49:00

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 09:35:43 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #25 - 11/18/07 at 15:48:54

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
How would that effect mileage?

Rob, the internal fuel screen only picks up fuel about 1/2" from the bottom of the tank, no lower.  My MPG was not affected, but my usable fuel WAS.  Now I can COMPLETELY drain my tank.   Wink

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #26 - 11/18/07 at 15:52:20

BTW, the internal fuel screen is very susceptible to plugging up if the m/c is not properly winterized, that was one of the problems my Savage was having.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 11/18/07 at 16:09:18

I tried to convert the petcock but it leaks not only around the lever but around the bolts that connect it to the tank. I put a new oring on lever and black rtv sealant around mounting surface on petty connection surface. What type of sealant should I have used? If new oring how can petty lever leak?This bike is only supposed to have 1300 miles even though 98, stolen and wrecked.Is there a way to tell if this bike really has a lot more miles than the speedo indicates. I guess I messed up because it ran perfect and did not leak on prime and the carb did not flood. Obviously for me the petty convert was not that easy!

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #28 - 11/18/07 at 16:28:12

I didn't use any rtv on mine.  If the O-ring is good, you shouldn't need any rtv.  I suggest taking it off, clean the rtv off, ensure the O-ring is good and try again.

There's 1 O-ring that seals the petc0ck to the tank, and 1 O-ring that seals the lever inside the petc0ck.  The only place to use rtv in the conversion is to ensure the hole you seal with a screw doesn't leak, so if you have a bad float needle, the carb won't flood with the petc0ck turned off.

IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 11/18/07 at 17:42:52

I am going to get a new oring for the petcock as it does not look good. I put a new one in the lever and the first time I did not use vaseline so it did not get seated far enough. This time its fine. What keeps the fuel from leaking around the 2 bolts that hold the petcock on?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:20:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › petcock only works on prime

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.