Send Topic Print
dead battery (Read 8 times)
JimmyB
YaBB Newbies

Love the S40

Abington, Pa
dead battery
11/18/07 at 05:30:17

Woke up this morning to find I had left the key in the ignition over night.  Is there a way to recharge the battery?  Or would a jump start work?

Love riding!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: dead battery
Reply #1 - 11/18/07 at 05:51:37

Of course, you can charge the battery, but it needs to be a lower Amp charger than a car type.  6 Amps or less, or get a trickle charger and do it slower.  Might need one for winter anyway.

I personally wouldn't recommend jump starting the bike with a car though.

Sounds like you need a manual too.  Good luck.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 11/18/07 at 07:48:35

Every automotive battery charger I've seen has a 2 amp setting for use with smaller batteries.  When I got my Savage the battery was mostly dead and I could only get about 10 seconds of cranking out of it.  The only problem with jump starting from a car battery is connecting the positive lead to the battery terminal.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/18/07 at 10:52:42

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Every automotive battery charger I've seen has a 2 amp setting for use with smaller batteries.  When I got my Savage the battery was mostly dead and I could only get about 10 seconds of cranking out of it.  The only problem with jump starting from a car battery is connecting the positive lead to the battery terminal.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Mine is rated at 6 Amps with 6 or 12 volts.  Since I've had it about 30 years no need to change quite yet.

The reason I don't recommend something is for the reason you state and a few more...

It's called CYA with Murphy's Law, because sure as the world, if you say "it can be done" then someone will do it wrong.

After all, didn't this topic start with "Is there a way to charge the battery?"

See my point? Tongue

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/18/07 at 11:00:32

2 amps is the best way to charge any battery. They don't get hot and will take more charge.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/18/07 at 11:59:20

I dont like jumping a dead battery & then allowing the charge circuit to recharge it. I think that is hard on the charge circuit. My charger is like Greg's, 6 amp, 6 or 12 volts. The only difference is, mine is a LOT newer than his old piece O crap. Mine isnt a day over 28....
The point? Get a charger, one that has a 2 amp scale.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JimmyB
YaBB Newbies

Love the S40

Abington, Pa
Reply #6 - 11/18/07 at 13:18:48

Many thanks for all the info.  Can it be recharged by removing the seat?  If so, how do you get the seat off?  Thanks in advance

Love riding!
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 11/18/07 at 14:38:19

seat off -- remove a couple of 10mm bolts, one each side, toward rear, angled up and in; lift and pull front tab out of it's slot.  Reverse to install.

Greg posted a picture of the started solenoid, I think in another of the battery threads.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/19/07 at 03:46:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I dont like jumping a dead battery & then allowing the charge circuit to recharge it. I think that is hard on the charge circuit. My charger is like Greg's, 6 amp, 6 or 12 volts. The only difference is, mine is a LOT newer than his old piece O crap. Mine isnt a day over 28....
The point? Get a charger, one that has a 2 amp scale.

Yeah, but I upgraded mine years ago with an on/off switch, so it is still better than yours.

...but a 2 amp charger is kinda slow if you want to charge a car battery.  The 6 amp is still okay, just don't "set it and forget it"

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 11/19/07 at 03:55:20

JimmyB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Many thanks for all the info.  Can it be recharged by removing the seat?  If so, how do you get the seat off?  Thanks in advance

You must be the second Newbie with a new topic about dead batteries.  He just asked about removing the seat too.  Why don't you guys share the topic, so we don't have to write the same stuff twice ?

As I mentioned to the other Newbie, if you don't know how to remove the seat, then "Buy A Manual".  You remove the seat to make it easier to get access to the neutral battery post.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/20/07 at 12:04:16

Greg, sounds like we have the same kind O charger. Mine has no on off switch.

You newbies will have many reasons to pull the seat as you go thru the mods. It may even need done while away from the house, so, there is a neat little mod someone shared with me I will toss out, here.

Get a couple of allen head bolts, long enough to go thru the mounts & still poke out nearly from under the seat & use 2 nuts on eah one, jammed tightly together about 1/2" from the end. Now, just drop the allen wrench for those & the 4mm for the one behind the seat in your tool kit & now, you can pop the seat off without a ratchet & 10 mm.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 11/21/07 at 04:55:03

That is one of the best things about putting the Sportster seat on mine using speedpins instead of bolts.  My seat comes off in a few seconds.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 11/21/07 at 06:54:15

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
That is one of the best things about putting the Sportster seat on mine using speedpins instead of bolts.  My seat comes off in a few seconds.

Show off!

I think there ought to be a way to just remove and install it with out any devices.  Mine doesn't have anything under it anyway, and it certainly isn't going anywhere when my butt is on it Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/21/07 at 11:09:02

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
...it certainly isn't going anywhere when my butt is on it Grin

The issue isn't when your butte is on it but will it be under it once gravity returns to normal.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 11/21/07 at 11:29:41

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
The issue isn't when your butte is on it but will it be under it once gravity returns to normal.   Grin

Trust me, if my butt is off the seat and there is unexpected gravitational issue at fault, my biggest concern is not likely to be the location of the seat.  Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:32:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dead battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.