life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Re: Savage Savage
Reply #15 - 12/03/07 at 16:27:34

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
so how would one up the mpg rating???

Slow Down Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #16 - 12/03/07 at 17:27:16

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
so how would one up the mpg rating???

chain conversion

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 12/03/07 at 18:19:17

Gary On A Savage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
chain conversion
not cast in stone  see mpg is it good post>>>

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 12/04/07 at 06:06:33

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Slow Down Grin

That one is definitely true under the right circumstances.  My Savage really likes to run at 75 on the freeway but her mileage isn't a good as it could be when she does (42-45 MPG).  If I reign her in a bit to 65, there's a noticeable improvement (about 52-53 MPG) and it gets better if I take it to 55-60 (55-56 MPG).  Below that it varies quite a bit, but that's mostly due to a lot of stop 'n go sort of conditions in the off-freeway portions of my regular daily drive routes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 12/04/07 at 06:40:12

My Savage had a reverse spring action on the throttle ... every time it was started and put in gear, the throttle just automatically goes toward full throttle.  I had to make a concerted effort to keep the throttle under control and the speed down near the legal limit.  Fortunately I have a strong right arm/hand or else I could have had a real problem.   Grin

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #20 - 12/04/07 at 08:22:18

I get about 40mpg at the moment. I ride quite  hard between 65mph and 85mph on the freeway
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 12/04/07 at 18:50:59

A buddy of mine riding a 2002 Savage was on tour in the Rockies with me - we had a long leg to go - and I was alarmed at the distance we had to go to the next gas station. We had to ride 170 kms which at normal highway speeds stretches the range beyond what the bike can do.
We were not in a rush and there is good scenery through that area so I slowed us down alway the way to 75 kmph - or about 45 mph.

We rolled through the distance and he filled up - astonishing me by taking only 7 liters - that little sucker had pulled an astonishing 90 miles per gallon.

So want to boost that mileage - turn the wick - way way down and you will be impressed

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #22 - 12/05/07 at 02:54:13

OK, here's the figures...

in the 1st leg of the trip, she returned 18,5 Km/l @ 5000rpm;
in the 2dn leg of the trip, she returned 21,5 Km/l @ 4500rpm, so I'm quite happy.

She rides well frmo 3000 up, although I do admit she changes character once she's up to 4500... she turns from a well mannered lil'old one into a wild big single, and DEMANDS to be ridder harder, HARDER, HARDER ...
...which reminds me of a certain Green Door from some 25 years back  Grin ...

On the other hand, she's difficult to start (manual choke) and difficult to keep going at all until she's warmed up a little, there's a veritable gap up from idle until 2500 rpm.

BUT THERE'S MORE...
She leaks oil like a 1960's Norton, this morning I commuted to work and got my trousers peppered with tiny black dots - not to mention my right boot !!!
Shocked
Angry Angry Angry
Is it possible that, once installed the new camshaft and refitted the head (they claimed it was a "head-off" job) they didn't tighten the head bolts up enough?
I actually have a thin film of oil running the full length of the cooing fins where the head mates to the cylinder ...
... and there's a tiny pool of oil in the morning (one spoonful?)
I suspect I may have to go down on all fours and inspect that oil window soon...  Tongue

(but why couldn't Suzy engineers fit an oil pressure light?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 12/05/07 at 06:08:45

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
...which reminds me of a certain Green Door from some 25 years back  Grin ...

Ahh yes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 12/05/07 at 08:22:36

BUT THERE'S MORE...
She leaks oil like a 1960's Norton...
they didn't tighten the head bolts up enough?

I had the same problem, thought it was a bad valve cover seal and replaced it to no avail.  And I was loosing oil about 1/2 a qt. every week.  Then I retightened all the bolts on top and the problem went away.  And I know I torqued them the 1st time.  And I found one stripped out.

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #25 - 12/05/07 at 08:26:12

(but why couldn't Suzy engineers fit an oil pressure light?

Probably cause there is not much to presurize. Everthing runs on Ball/Roller/needle bearings except the cam Smiley Also maybe it's the "plug" that's leaking. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #26 - 12/06/07 at 05:05:59

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I had the same problem, thought it was a bad valve cover seal and replaced it to no avail.  And I was loosing oil about 1/2 a qt. every week.  Then I retightened all the bolts on top and the problem went away.  And I know I torqued them the 1st time.  And I found one stripped out.

Hey, Verslagen, you been ridin my bike  ? ? ? 8)

Exactly what the mechanic said when I called him and complained...
...so why didn't he fix it? (proper, I mean ?)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #27 - 12/06/07 at 05:07:16

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Probably cause there is not much to presurize. Everthing runs on Ball/Roller/needle bearings except the cam Smiley Also maybe it's the "plug" that's leaking. Wink

...er, what plug ?

She's leaking oil from the top of the cylinder head...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 12/06/07 at 05:23:22

I kept having trouble with the right-rear head/cyl bolt ... threads stripped a bit and it would not hold enough to keep from leaking a little oil.  When I did finally take everything apart this year I drilled it out and installed new threads.  So hopefully I will not have any more trouble.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #29 - 12/06/07 at 09:49:50

...er, what plug ?

She's leaking oil from the top of the cylinder head...

Threre's a plug horrizontally in the head above the right front cylinder head nut (visible from the ouside) and another rubber plug (vertically) between the headcover and head on the right side where the cam is at. Also if they didn't use any or enough sealer between the headcover and head, that could cause a leak. Also some of the bolts that tighten the headcover need to have rubber washer to keep them from leaking Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.