Charge my battery (Read 9 times)
laurentj23
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Charge my battery
11/14/07 at 12:21:59

How do I charge my battery?
I have a 2006 s40.I can't find it in the owner's manual.Step by step instructions with pic will be great.thanks!

IP Logged
constrapolator
YaBB Newbies

Clymer LS650 Manual,
Page 49, Step #11
 ::cry::

Santa Cruz, CA
Re: Charge my battery
Reply #1 - 11/14/07 at 15:36:11

Call me foolish, but after a few times leaving the lights on, I began trying to "jump start" the bike.  Hehe, not with jumper cables...  You push the bike as fast as you can, then "jump" on, pop it in 2nd or 3rd and apply some throttle.  

Easier than taking the battery out, and charging it.  But I'm no expert.  Maybe it's better for the bike/battery to do it the hard way.  

Your S40 manual should include instructions on how to physically remove the battery.  Follow those instructions, then charge the battery, then put it back (also in manual).  

I little battery charger unit myself, but you can also hook it up via jumper cables to another 12V battery (such as car, or motorcycle) and wait a bit.  That should get you enough charge to start the bike.  Then run it a bit, and let the alternator do the rest.  

heh, maybe I'm foolish -- I don't know.

S40 2005, LS650 1996
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 11/14/07 at 15:56:45

Another option for avoiding the won't start problem in the future is to do what I did with my bike. I installed a 12 volt outlet to the bike (accesibly zip tied to the frame under the seat) by running a nice heavy gauge wire pair to the plus and minus bolts on the battery. I then made myself some special jumper cables with a cigar lighter male plug on one end (center +) and a pair of spring clamps on the other. Now when my 4+ year old battery says "I don't w-a-a-a-a-a-na do it today" I plug the 12 volt plug into the 12 volt socket on the bike and hook the clamps to a car battery or battery charger. Easy access to the battery AND you can run a phone charger or low wattage inverter. The latter is great for watching DVD movies when the countryside going by is flat and boring.

Of course I know I don't need to say it, but do by all means keep those two clamps straight in your mind as to which is the positive and which is the negative. Fireworks are for the 4th of July and are not appropriate for motorcycle-in-the-driveway displays.

Jack

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 11/15/07 at 06:24:47

I use the Battery Tender Jr. and it comes woth a couple of sets of cables for it.  One has clamps.  The other you permanently attach to the battery terminals and simply plug the tender into it.  I keep mine coiled up under the seat for easy access.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 11/15/07 at 10:16:32

I have the battery tender jr. also and I wiretied the plug to the frame just under my right thigh(as sitting in thre bike). I leave the battery tender jr. hooked up to the bike all the time once the temps start hitting the freezing point.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:25:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Charge my battery