Send Topic Print
0-60, post carb mods? (Read 40 times)
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
0-60, post carb mods?
11/12/07 at 19:27:49

Hi,

Anybody clocked a 650 with some basic stuff like carb mods done to it? I`m not talking cams or high compression pistons or any of that stuff that requires motor work, just the standard carb mods, exhaust swap, stripping it down kinda easy non-invasive stuff.

I know our stock speedos are off. I also know that tweaking the carb, etc. does make it pull noticably better. I`ve read that the stock 0-60 is about 6.9 seconds, slow for a bike but quick for a car. I am sure mine`s faster than that and all I`ve done is tweak the carb and shed some pounds. But I can sure feel the difference.

So anybody clocked one?

Bill

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 0-60, post carb mods?
Reply #1 - 11/13/07 at 05:19:57

I have done 0-60 runs on mine with a Veypor computer installed so the times and speeds were accurate.  When installing the Veypor part of the setup is measuring the outside circumferance of the rear wheel to within 0.1", which will result in the speed being accurate to within 0.1 mph.
The 0-60 time is calculated by built in 3 axis accelerametors which activate the chosen program the instant the bike starts to move.
There is a difference in my bike from what you were asking however, and that is that my engine did have a modified camshaft.  The outside end of the exhaust port had been opened slightly but no other port work was done.  So the results I am posting are not exactly what you are looking for but it will give you an idea of what the Savage can do.

Since then, during the past year, the intake and exhaust ports have been modified significantly and 0.040" removed from the head and cylinder to increase compression, but the bike is not yet back together so there is no data available for the recent changes.

The following 0-60 mph time was done in the late summer or early fall of 2006.

0-60 mph  in 4.9 sec

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #2 - 11/13/07 at 07:08:03

This is my best time using a vericom.
0-100km/h 4,51 sek / 67 meters and this is suppos to be very accurate, borrow it from a friend that use to go on the strip with his car and it was always showing 0,1 sek to mutch, so that means that my best time is 4,41 sek to 100km/h  (100km/h is 62,13 miles/h)
That is with open pipe KN and rejet on a Dynobench.
Result: Power 33hp Tourqe 49,9Nm on rearweel.

Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

Reply #3 - 11/13/07 at 13:16:09

Oh boy.....

You guys are my new best friends! Better numbers than my old `78 XS650 which ate & spat out HD`s for laughs.

Mike....tell me about your cam shaft, can I get one? $$$? I think I recall reading about your porting, I will search the tech section. Uh, did you notice what kind of MPG you were getting w/o `hot-rodding", just cruising around?

Odar...what jet sizes did you settle for? Know what altitude you are at? Same question about MPG, as the $$$ of fuel is going up up up, even for Vikings. Nice looking ride,too.

`Gimme fuel, gimme fire'
                                 Metallica

Thanks, guys!

Hell, Billy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 11/13/07 at 17:30:55

Billy,

The performance camshafts are a REGRIND item.  It takes a good used camshaft as a donor core that is then reground by Webcam to my specification.  It is designed for strong midrange power, and the little suckers work GREAT !  The power curve is designed for 2500-5500 rpm and it pulls like a BIG DOG.
When stock my Savage got about 52 mpg, after the cam I averaged about 48 mpg.  If running hard during performance test runs it would drop to the low 40's, but the fun was worth every drop .

I sell the performance cams for $175 if you supply a cam core, $225 without.  However, right now I don't have any cam cores at all, so if you want one you will need to supply a core.

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

Reply #5 - 11/13/07 at 20:04:40

Well Mikey, guess I`ll start looking. I`m having a lot of fun with this bike, each round of mods seems to pay off bigtime.

Prob`ly wait awhile to do the cam thing, it`s brand new, barely 3000 on it yet, but no harm hunting bike parts down for later. I`m still fine tuning the carb,and by swapping to a Super Trapp, a solo saddle and installing a bobbed Fatboy front on the rear--that should strip quite a bit more weight off.

I can keep going on this bike for years, it`s a great starting point and I am not a bit surprised that you & Odar are getting this kinda performance. The motor is in such a mild state of tune stock that it practically begs to be opened up, but the torque and the weight are what got me convinced to grab one. 650cc at 352 lbs [and going way down] is off the hook for a street bike/cruiser. It continues to impress me.

Well thanks guys that`s all I needed to know, that the potential for more horsepower is really there.

Cool,

B

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 11/13/07 at 21:06:22

Billy, This is you, quoted from the "Horsepower" thread:

Quote:
Deep kaka!

All this obsession w/ HP and top end......to me, it`s all about the torque and weight.

Hey, uh, 29-30? I am guessing that doing some of those carb mods should boost the HP some , no?

What gives with you? We were talking about HP in another thread, and you "don't understand the obsession." Now suddenly "all I needed to know, that the potential for more horsepower is really there."

So which is it? Or are you often of inconsistent demeanor?

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

Reply #7 - 11/14/07 at 14:47:58

HA! Inconsistent demeanor, you got it, that`s me, how`d ya know??...actually I really don`t care how fast Suzi will go on the long end, but, rather how QUICK she`ll get there. There`s a difference, R J.

I find that-for me anyway- going over about 75 on an unfared bike, well, you`re holding on for dear life, but gettin` out of  the way in a hurry, that`s another matter. Nimbleness and quick responce are very useful. I have gone fast before, but now I more enjoy going quick. Sometimes I like to go real slow, too. Depends on the mood or situation.

TORQUE!! More important than HP, esp. in a thumper.

......or we could discuss aberrant behavior in the aging motorcyclist, if you want.Or life style choices, or the difficulty of making decisions ....or the sanity & practicality of riding on 2 wheels to begin with. Hey, why do bikers plaster skulls all over everything...or those Gre***n bells, or why I won`t spell the word out even?

So do you consider yourself sane RJ????? I know that sometimes it feels like Chicago O`Hare inside my noggin. That might just be why I HAVE to ride, to shut it all out. To get focused......besides the shear pleasure, of course.

And, btw, John, have you clocked your bike? What are you running?

B

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 11/15/07 at 10:55:11

Ok... I understand now. You're just mentally ricocheting around and typing at the same time. And you are correct, you are not alone.  My "inconsistent demeanor" comment would apply to me as well. And I "get ya" about the acceleration being more important than the ultimate velocity too... As for "shutting out the noise" I recommend Scuba diving. Nothing but you and the bubbles...    8)

Don't ask me about bells to keep imaginary beings away, I don't believe in them. (The beings nor the bells.) Grin

Ahh... Sanity, now there's a relative term if ever there was one. And ya, I suppose a person had to be a little nutty to hurl themselves through the world on two motorized wheels.

Sorry no "clocking" the bikes yet. I've had WOT get me just past 90 (corrected by large rear tire) but no timing device to clock with. I live within listening distance of Tulsa International Raceway (dragstrip), and have threatened to go over there to one of their "midnite drags" where you just pay a couple of dollars at the line to cover your time slip and go. Haven't made it over there yet though. I dunno about going either. Probably be the slowest thing down the track all night.  Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:20:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 0-60, post carb mods?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.