Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
old savage same as new s40?..also good beginner? (Read 17 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: old savage same as new s40?..also good beginne
Reply #15 - 11/13/07 at 17:32:25

Then again does and old car handle as good as a new one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #16 - 11/13/07 at 19:15:45

SoNew, I just bought mine Saturday.  I was a little shaky for a couple of hours, and nervous as hell the first time I got on the highway.  I've been riding for a couple of days now and I already feel very confident on it.  Probably a bad thing! Grin  

It is my first bike also and I was actually considering buying bigger, but didn't because of the prices.  By the way, I'm a small guy, about 5'10, 150.  It doesn't have scary power to me, but might after the rejet  Roll Eyes

I haven't taken the safety course but I'm guessing that you didn't get much practice.  As someone told me in another post "Time in the saddle" is very important.  The real skills come from experience.

So far I am very happy with it.

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #17 - 11/13/07 at 19:34:29

This is a little off topic, but as a new rider how should I handle this.

Today I was riding and looked in my mirror and all I saw was a chrome grill from an 18 wheeler.  I wasn't in a situation where I could let him pass so I sped up, but he stayed right with me.  I finally got to a place where I could let him pass and he cuts right back in front of me, very close.  I had to find a place to pull over and clean my shorts if you know what I mean.  He was intentionally being an A$$ hole.  It's bad enough for a car, but a big truck would never be able to stop if he had to.

Should I report a driver like this to the DOT or just the cops.  Can't report that one because I don't remember anything specific about the truck now  Undecided

Oh well, just a rant I guess,

~Joe

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
SoNew
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/13/07 at 22:51:20

Thanks everyone...I can't believe how many responses!  Smiley I'm going to go feel them all out again...but feel much more confident to go with what feels best. I'll keep you posted!

IP Logged
greidel
YaBB Newbies

Personal Text

Lancaster, PA
Reply #19 - 11/14/07 at 01:45:46

I bought an '06 S40 as a first bike a week after taking the MSF course. Prior to that, I had only a 50cc scooter (which is a completely different animal).

I was a little shakey on it for a week or 2. Stalled it at an intersection on the way home, almost lurched into a guiderail. I half-dropped it in a parking lot, scuffing a peg. But after that, I was glad I didn't get a smaller bike. I would have been disappointed in the top speed. Within a month, I was riding it from Lancaster, PA to Frederick, MD.

I now have 1,800 miles on it in 3 months and it is still challenging me. I have locked up the back tire (girl cager turned left) and I have spun the back wheel pulling into traffic. I see these as good things because I consider this my beginner bike and they mean I am finding the limits. This bike has been a forgiving teacher and still has lessons for me.

BTW, the s40 is listed as a beginner bike on this greate site: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/MotorcycleIntroA.html

2008 Versys - Red
2006 S40 - Silver (traded)
2007 Yamaha C3 - Blue
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 11/14/07 at 03:25:52

Very interesting website.  I especially like the plain truth style in part of the explanation why a beginner should not get a sport bike ... "it will kill you", and then goes on to give some examples of pro football players who in spite of being strong and having quicker reflexes than most of the population have nearly killed themselves on a powerful sportbike  that was more than they could handle.
EXCELLENT INFO !   Wink

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #21 - 11/14/07 at 05:51:17

I think the Savage is a better choice for beginners than a 250 simply because it's easier to ride - less chance of a well running Savage bogging down than a 250 when the rider doesn't get enough revs (common beginner problem from my observations), and the power comes on pretty smoothly to a manageable level. Another real advantage a Savage has is the ability to flat foot the MC for all but the shortest people (who aren't going to be able to flat foot other MC's either). Personally there are other choices out there for a beginner, but none significantly better than the Savage.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 11/14/07 at 06:14:04

The Savage is acknowledged as a good beginner's bike.  What is not widelt acknowledged is that it is a good final bike -- look at the number of us with many decades of riding experience who ride Savages.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #23 - 11/14/07 at 06:40:46

joeh100 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
This is a little off topic, but as a new rider how should I handle this.
Should I report a driver like this to the DOT or just the cops.  Can't report that one because I don't remember anything specific about the truck now  Undecided
~Joe

YES - you can report him, but be prepared.  License plate is good, and if it was a private rig pulling a company trailer, get both info. (the 800 number off the trailer and the state stickers on the side of the rig.)  Problem is it is often too difficult to get all this while being tailed and harrassed.

As an added bonus, most cops don't care UNLESS you also see another infraction that can be fined such as lights out, overweighted truck, wrong state stickers on the rig or other 'physical' thing they can ticket.

These are times when I would like my magic helmet camera working....

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #24 - 11/14/07 at 09:38:08

Doesn't matter if you do have that camera ready:

http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/000869.html

Sent e-mail to Forward Air about their law breaking employee.  No response so I assume it is company policy to break the law if you feel like it.

WWW   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
GREAT beginner bike.
Reply #25 - 11/14/07 at 18:35:04

Yes, a savage is a perfect first bike Wink

- Light
- Quick
- Nimble
- Stable (even w/passenger!)
- Lots of power if you chose, or need, to use it
- Solid quality
- Not too big, not too small.
- Great for weekends, daily commute or even cross-county  
- And how do $10-20 bucks of gasoline a month sound!  Grin

You MUST not buy new; you can buy "previously owned" from the stealership (or private) with low miles (less than 2,000mi and no more than a couple of years old should be fine) and ask for some form of warranty on paper.
This way your price will drop dramatically!

2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40 MSRP $4399.00 (new)
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 MSRP $3899.00 (new)
2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40 MSRP $2999.00 (used <2K)
2000 Suzuki Boulevard S40 MSRP $1799.00 (used <20K)

Good Luck & welcome noob.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
kingcrowofoctober
YaBB Newbies

Time is a great
story teller.~Irish
proverb

White Hall     ~   Arkansas
Reply #26 - 11/17/07 at 20:48:13

I bought a 2006 S40 with 1700 miles on it. Trailered it home where I learned to ride it from scratch. I'm 5'11 and 250 pounds and this bike fits my frame pretty well. It has plenty of spunk (torque) when the throttle is called upon.~~~I liked it so much I bought a 2007 for my wife to get back into riding. These S40 bikes are more fun than a barrel of monkies. I don't think you'd regret getting one! Oh, yeah I prefer mine with a bit louder pipes than my wifes stock muffler.

Most important thing is just get out there and ride.  Wink

2006 S-40 Boulevard with a deep growl.
2007 S-40 Boulevard meek and sleek.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #27 - 11/21/07 at 21:00:24

I disagree that you have to get "new".  I love to get "new", but one reason I'm not further ahead these days than I am is because of too much "new" (cars, cycles, etc.) in my past.  I found my 2003 Savage this past Spring for $2400 w/1700 miles on it.  It was nearly new condition with a couple defects due to a standing drop on its side.  Motorcycles are unique in that you can often find them in like-new condition with low miles for much, much less than current-year prices.  You'll never find low-mileage late-model cars at a bargain price.  There's always the possibility that the rider(s) abused them, but it's quite likely they just sat in the garage due to the owners' fear, disillusionment, or lack of time to ride them.  I'd venture to say there are riders out there who would caution you to NEVER buy new.  Why give the "stealership" that unfair depreciation?  Someday I'll extend that theory to cars  Tongue.  Cars are a bit different, though, because the new-car warranties now are ridiculously long.  Cycles are still at the cheesy 1-year warranty period I think.  That being said, Japanese cycles are high-quality, and my guess is that warranty claims are low compared to cars.  Anyway, a used sport bike might be a gamble due to the potential for past abuse, but a used low-mileage Savage / S40 is likely a safe bet.  My local stealership turns me off, and I'm glad I did not purchase from them.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #28 - 11/22/07 at 15:13:56

Logically, as an inexperienced rider you really do not know if you will still want to be riding in a year. If money is not a issue (that is 1-1.5 K extra for new) then buying new makes sense as there seems to be three reasons to leave a motorcycle 1) You dont want to ride anymore (boredom, fear, extra hassles putting on gear etc) 2) you gain experience and want to move up/down or accross to bigger, smaller different style of ride, or 3) you get tired with a specific bike/model/brand because its unreliable.  So why buy new, it will probably rule out the issue of reliability which can really turn you off. If you hold off on mods (modifications) until you determine if the bike is close to what you want,  you will then be able to sell it easier to move on/up/over/down/ or away from bikes as suits your needs.   Can't beat used if you need to save the 1K though Grin  Of course, you might like us, love the bike and then mod away.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
used vs. new
Reply #29 - 11/25/07 at 12:16:59

...then again, if you have it $$$, buy new.

Basically because the ENTIRE life of that engine depends on how you ride those first 500-800 miles.

That is the reason why my 1997' with 6,500mi (about 4000 of those are mine) is burning oil and smoking out the tailpipe a bit.  I mean, it strill runs like a champ and pulls like a tractor (almost 90mph top speed  Grin) but the truth is that it will need rings and a new piston before it hits 10k. (but I allready have everything except the piston, hey! where was that piston buy group Wink )

God knows what the previous owner did to the poor thing during it's first couple of 100miles.  

...I guess as with everything else in life, it's a luck thing.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:29:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › old savage same as new s40?..also good beginner?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.