Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
old savage same as new s40?..also good beginner? (Read 17 times)
SoNew
Ex Member

old savage same as new s40?..also good beginner?
11/12/07 at 17:37:09

Hi I am considering buying a savage/s40 as my first bike....it was highly pushed by a dealer, and I did like the feel a whole lot (my only concern is that it goes against the newbie power/handling warnings).

So first question- is this a good beginner bike? Honestly! Or a better second bike when comfortable...I am SO green and didn't even totally trust the 125 I took my safety course on (u-turns, not my friend yet!).

2nd question, is a used savage (specifically a 2000) going to handle the same way as th 07 I looked at at the dealer?

If not- are there any years that people would say are most "forgiving" bikes?

Thanks!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: old savage same as new s40?..also good beginne
Reply #1 - 11/12/07 at 17:50:34

Your better off  buy new if you can .  You buy used your buying someone elses troubles

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 11/12/07 at 18:10:06

I've had a Honda 175, Honda 250 and now the '01 Savage.

As for the power,  big thing to remember is that you don't have to use full throttle.   But it is nice to have just in case a car (cager) does something dumb.   ALso, as you become more comfortable with riding,  you will be happy that you didn't go smaller.

Big thing for all bikes is , how well it stops.  Of my three bikes, the LS650 stops the best.  Probably could stop better with a rear disc brake, but.... I have locked up the rear already, so a disc would have locked faster.  

As for a 2000 handling any different than a 2007...well if the 2000 had equal miles as the 2007 and new tires, then they should be real close to the same.  But I would hazard to guess they don't have same mileage.   SO handling may be slightly different.  New tires help a lot.   Mod's you can put on help a ton too.

And agreed will Bill,  if you can affort new do it.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/07 at 18:14:15

The Savage is my wife's first bike. She loves it. She was a little concerned with power and weight just like you but I told her  it wasn't that much different as far as weight was concerned. Power is relative to how much do you need or want at the time you twist the throttle.
My opinion is it's a great first bike. What's the mileage and how much does the person want for it?

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #4 - 11/12/07 at 19:09:45

I'm probably old school but when I started riding, a 650 was a BIG bike. My early miles were primarily on a Honda CL100. I'm glad I started small and worked up... building confidence and riding skills. Next came a 350 Honda which was a great bike.  My largest bike was a Yamaha 750 and am now back to the 650 which is one of the most enjoyable bikes I've had. Having worked up to large seem to work well for me... not having to worry about dumping a bigger machine fit my learning curve.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/12/07 at 19:14:58

Check the weights of the bikes you're looking at.

The savage is only 350 lbs.

What's your goal?  Street only, a 250 will be ok.  Freeway, you'll want the 650.

As for power, from the factory it's just right.  Last year I was just a green as you as far as power bikes are concerned.  Yet with a little extra twist the power is there.  Lots of torque to get you started though.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/12/07 at 20:14:27

If I had known this forum was here & that I could do the maintenance I woulda bought used, IF I could have found one close by. But, I thought I needed tha warranty so I went for new. But, is it a good Starter bike? Yep. I had not ridden in over 20 years & had been in very poor health for over 10 years when I got on it. I am 52 & no even close to heaslthy, but I can hold that thing up. Anyone can handle this bike. You will see people from all walks doing their own maintenance. Impressively, I might add. Grab one & join the group. You will never be sorry. It has enough get up & go to make a beginner happy & when yoiu get ready for more performance, it is just a few simple mods away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 11/12/07 at 22:40:36

Compared with the Kawasaki 125 Eliminator used by the MSF the Savage is 0.8" higher in the saddle on a 0.4" longer wheelbase.  Due to the larger engine, the Savage is 25% heavier -- 352 vs. 282 pounds.  Not unmanageable, and you get a "beginner" motorcycle that can keep you happy indefinitely.

WWW   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 11/13/07 at 08:27:32

When I started looking for a bike again, number one on my list was maintenance. One piston, 4 valves, one carb.  What I did not realize.....what a deal!!! Most versatile, easy to work on , and fun motorcycle you will find! I've even ridden in the dirt ( that was an adventure!!)

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #9 - 11/13/07 at 08:58:55

I bought my '02 Savage in August with less than 1k miles.  My prior riding experience consisted solely of 45 minutes in a parking lot on a '76 Yamaha XS650.  After riding that 500 pound bike in circles my hands were pretty sore from pushing on the bars.  Even though it was for sale really cheap, I didn't feel safe on it.  Instead I found my Savage and 1k miles and a few minor mods later (carb spacer and seat lift), I am very pleased with it.

People tell newbies not to get a big displacement bike not so much because it has too much power, but because that power usually comes with a large increase in the bike's mass, making it hard to handle.  Happily, the Savage is an exception to this rule.   8)

Then again, if you are not trusting a 125... Sounds like a test ride is needed if you haven't already.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #10 - 11/13/07 at 12:43:50

First post here, so no wish to be controversial but I'm with earlier comment: "I'm probably old school but when I started riding, a 650 was a BIG bike. "
OTOH my very first bike was a 250 Rickman Metisse Bultaco, just about street-legaled! Slowly worked up to a 750 K7 and then....22 year gap. Re-started witha 250 - seemed about right!
Reckon if not ENTIRELY comfortable with a 125, then a 650 however "single" and light not the greatest of ideas!

And thanks to Hutch from the RE USA Forum for sign-posting me here!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 11/13/07 at 13:09:21

You don't say if your boy are girl and how big you are. In a way a small bike isn't as safe. I started with 200 and 2 month later bought a 550 which was a bigger bike than the s40.To me  at 65 the s40 feel to light.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/13/07 at 15:47:38

2nd question, is a used savage (specifically a 2000) going to handle the same way as th 07 I looked at at the dealer?  

Any S40 or Savage all the way back to 1986 will handle the same. Other than the switch from a 4 speed to a 5 speed transmission in 1996 there have only been cosmetic changes and a few minor design changes over the last 21 years.

Weights angles engine etc have also seen minor changes but nothing of much consequence to power.

So an old Savage is going to ride pretty much exactly the same as a new S40

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 11/13/07 at 15:49:08

Dave48 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
First post here, so no wish to be controversial but I'm with earlier comment: "I'm probably old school but when I started riding, a 650 was a BIG bike. "
OTOH my very first bike was a 250 Rickman Metisse Bultaco....

While not my first bike, it was my longest riden bike -- a 1974 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (what they now call dual sport.)  Don't recall, but probably under 250 pounds, "freeway legal" but only so I could ride from the campground to the dirt via the interstate.  Stock it topped at about 60 -- I replaced the countershaft sprocket with a pair that gave me top ends of 50 for dirt and 70 for street.  I rode that 175cc two-stroke single from early '74 thru late '86 both dirt and on the streets of Greater Los Angeles.  Never did "out grow it."  Did get a GS450E in the early '80's, rode to Seatle and back to L.A. where it got stolen.  The 175 by then was so ratty I normally left the key in the ignition -- proably could have place a sign on it "Please steal me!" and no one would.  

This time around the dual sport option was not available in a seat height that would allow me to flat foot it; not to mention I don't play in the dirt any more -- maybe later.  So I went for a cruiser.  Just about settled on the GS250 when I noticed the specs on the Savage.  Just 50 pounds heavier, same small size to fit my aging 5'8.5" body -- why not??

If you got the legs for a dual sport and a place to go play in the dirt you might consider something like the 200-250 cc range.  Really depends on where and how you'll be riding.

WWW   IP Logged
bennyc
YaBB Newbies

PA
Reply #14 - 11/13/07 at 15:56:10

I was just like you a few months back-I took the MSF course and that was really the first time I rode a motorcycle-an Eliminator 125.

As far as a first bike-I could not be happier with the S40 (I got a new 07). It has the right amount of power, the weight is right, etc. It is also nice that it has a little room to grow with you as you get more confident on the bike.

I really feel a smaller cc bike would have left me wanting more.

GO FOR IT!!! 8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › old savage same as new s40?..also good beginner?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.