Send Topic Print
right side crankcase (Read 2 times)
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
right side crankcase
11/10/07 at 18:06:44

Well, I am finally getting my hands dirty!!  Have gone past my anxiety of attacking things mechanical and am going for it.
I have received the upgrade carb from Lancer and am eventually going to do this but I have had an oil leak from the right crankcase and so since I'm replacing the muffler I took the crankcase cover off.  The gasket was toast and I am quite sure I am missing one of the brass locating dowels, the one
on the lower right.  I have replaced the gasket (after cleaning off the brittle old one).  The question is there a problem only having one locator dowel?  I have torqued the crankcase down to just over 8N, but I just noticed that the torque specs state 9.0 - 13.0 N-m, at least that is what the crankcase bolts
specs state.  Am I looking at the correct specs?
Thanks for your help.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: right side crankcase
Reply #1 - 11/10/07 at 19:44:34

When tighten bolts, you need to use the mid-range value of the torque (in this case 11 M-m). The stated range is for minimum and maximum. At least that is taught to me by the Air Force how to fix aircraft.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 11/11/07 at 04:54:42

The gaskets are just about always toast.  Sometimes you get lucky, but with the adhesive on them you can expect them to tear.

You need to get another dowel too.  They are cheap.  They line up the gasket and for the oil passages to the oil filter.

They aren't brass either.  They are steel, unless a PO did you are favor.

If you get my CD, you'll have photos to compare Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/11/07 at 10:10:25

While you are there, have a look at that cam chain tensioner. Measure how far it's extended.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #4 - 11/11/07 at 12:52:21

So fortunately I haven't really tightened down the crankcase bolts and intend to open it up again once a storm passes over(my workshop is open to the elements on three sides).  I went to our island dump and found some copper tubing which if it is the right diameter I hope to clean up and cut down to size to replace the dowel.  Does this seem feasible?  
I imagine the cam chain adjuster measurement information is in the tech section.  I am also waiting for a new cam chain from Lancer.  My Savage is an 1986 and only has 12,000 miles on it and hopefully wouldn't need to be changed yet.
(fingers crossed).
Thanks all of you for your information and help, I really appreciate it!!!
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/11/07 at 14:54:27

I needed one and there is a bike salvage yard in the city.  I went in and asked for a 12 MM dowel.  The guy reached up to a head on the self, pulled one out and gave it to me.  I asked him how much, and he waved me off.

They are common, plentiful, and cheap...and if you have to wait for some other work anyway.  Just order it at a bike shop.  It's a no brainer.

Don't take short cuts...you might screw something up like I did Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:13:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › right side crankcase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.