Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Savage (boulevard s40)...Advice? (Read 54 times)
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
New Savage (boulevard s40)...Advice?
11/10/07 at 17:17:56

Hi, I just bought a new s40 today.  A new 06 anyway.  I got a good deal too.  I really wanted a bigger bike but it just wasn't in my budget.

Anyway... Do u guys have any advice for a new savage owner?  Breakin, Maintenance schedule, etc...  Anything I may need to know but probably don't.

I've heard about the carb mod, but when do u suggest doing this.

Thanks a lot,

Joe

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Re: New Savage (boulevard s40)...Advice?
Reply #1 - 11/10/07 at 17:21:40

Salesman said I wouldn't have to worry about any maintenance for 600 miles.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 11/10/07 at 17:37:08

Ride the bike till you feel it could use more power then do the carb mods. The 600 mile service is needed for the warrenty but it seems that a lot of riders have had problems with the valve lash and oil level after the first service. The oil level should be in the middle of the sight glass with the bike sitting level, place a 2x4 under the kick stand to get close to level. If you have the 600 mile service done at the dealer make sure the bike has oil in it and runs right before taking it off the lot. There are a lot of monkeys with hammers out there who say they are mechanics and you need to watch out for them. Break in the bike by running it like you will drive it, just don't baby it or hold it at one RPM for too long. The key to breaking in the rings is to run the engine up and down the RPM range as you ride. Just my .02 cents on it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 11/10/07 at 17:43:09

joeh100 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
...wanted a bigger bike but it just wasn't in my budget.
...any advice for a new savage owner?

The Savage is the Jack Russell of motorcycles -- it thinks it is a lot bigger than it is.  Are you new just to the Savage, or new to motorcycles?

WWW   IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #4 - 11/10/07 at 17:59:45

New to motorcycles for the most part.  I've ridden before but never owned one.

And I will be doing my own maintenance.  I've learned from automotive service centers; that if you want it done right (or done at all) do it yourself.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 11/10/07 at 18:53:43

In that case my advice is to remember that you are invisible.  When someone "looks right at you" it does not mean that they see you.  And that includes that guy behind you who will be stopping a half car length behind the car you stopped behind.  Nothing you can do will ensure that you will be seen.

Practice makes perfect -- the more you ride the better you'll be.  Don't worry excessively about the bike -- metric cruisers are all pretty tough.  I took a 2700 mile tour with no special preparation and no problems.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/11/07 at 06:23:17

joeh100 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Anyway... Do u guys have any advice for a new savage owner?  Breakin, Maintenance schedule, etc...  Anything I may need to know but probably don't.

I've heard about the carb mod, but when do u suggest doing this.

Thanks a lot,

Joe

Hi.  Welcome.  

We can't sum it all up in one topic for every new bike.  And we can't make suggestions without knowing the need for it anyway.

Just read all the topics, do searches for anything you need to know and go buy a service manual before you pick up a wrench...

Hope you enjoy your new "Savage40".  Ride safe.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 11/11/07 at 07:12:02

get a manual for self service, clymers or suzuki service

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 11/11/07 at 13:37:14

I'd recommend changing the oil before 600 miles on the first one and DON'T take it to the dealer.  It think the PO allowed the dealer to create an oil-leak at the 600 mile service.  If you want it done right, best do it yourself.

For break-in, I like to let the parts wear together more slowly than factory recommendations, which means the first few oil changes should be fairly quick.  300-400 for the first one, and at no more than 1000 on the odometer for the second one.  Also, if you install a magnet somewhere (see multiple posts) it will minimize bearing scarring during break-in.

Also, I use full synthetic in all my IC engines EXCEPT for the break-in period...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 11/11/07 at 14:41:21

you got the name right, savage   it's all good.  ride  ride ride.  saddle time cures monkee butt.

add commute time and be prepared to talk to people who see the machine, they love it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #10 - 11/11/07 at 15:35:14

If You want that header to stay pretty chrome instead of blue-ing, yank that white spacer of the needle. Stock this bike runs WAY TOO LEAN. You can do this without taking the carb off the engine. When taking the tank off do NOT loose the little seal on the speedo cable where it attaches to the engine. Drill a tiny hole in the idle mixture plug (ON RIGHT OF CARB), insert small screw and yank it out. Adjust idle mixture with a hot engine to where you get the highest idle. Then adjust idle with knob on left side of carb. Voila, hardly any more popping, and sice the exhaust runs much cooler, no blue-ing of the header pipe. Change oil & filter at 400 and 1000. Torque head bolts per manual (600,4000 etc)Torque exhaust flange at oil changes. These seem to get loose till after a couple of thosand miles. If you want to run synthetics wait till 2000 miles so rings get time to seat. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
willrph
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 11/12/07 at 03:13:37

You might find this link uesful.    You want to seat the rings without overheating the engine to insure a proper break in.
  Enjoy the bike.  
http://www.dansmc.com/engine_breakin.htm

White spacer mod, 150 main, K&N Air Filter, Memphis Shades Slim
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #12 - 11/12/07 at 04:16:31

Welcome and have fun.  You picked a nimble, easy to maintain, and forgiving bike.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #13 - 11/12/07 at 05:07:51

Thanks a lot.  I'm enjoying it so far.  I put 80 miles on it yesterday.

It looks like I'll have a little more warm weather for a while so I probably won't do anything to it until I put in 600 miles.

~JOe

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 11/12/07 at 06:20:08

Welcome.

I suggest getting at least 1000 miles under your seat before you decide to do any modifications. As far as what works for me for break-in, I tend not to "ride it like I stole it" but other than that I make sure that I don't "drone" along at a constant load/rpm for any distance at all (more than a couple of minutes), I change gears, speed, use engine braking, etc. I do this for about the first 500 - 1000 miles. This has worked well for me in the past with new engines.  Follow the maintenance schedule and do your own. Get at least the clymers manual. Read the forum. Go back in history. Things tend to go around in cycles. Chances are pretty good that if you have something go wrong, it's happened to someone else and been discussed here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage (boulevard s40)...Advice?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.