Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Savage (boulevard s40)...Advice? (Read 54 times)
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Re: New Savage (boulevard s40)...Advice?
Reply #15 - 11/12/07 at 10:45:05

Like some have already said, don't be afraid to run the little bike, because it DOES think it is bigger than it is.  One thing to remember though, is it is very light and when you get out on the Interstates, it gets even lighter.  I have never had any problem running it 70 or more on the super slabs, but I was just careful and alert.  It is a great bike for every day commuting, and will also run 70 all day long.  My 06 has a wide sweet spot around 50-65.

You will love the little bike......just ride safe

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #16 - 11/12/07 at 12:02:26

I'd be scared to get it on the interstate, but I get scared sometimes in my car too.  

The attitude on the interstate in Birmingham is "Get outa my way or I'll kill us all!"

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #17 - 11/14/07 at 19:57:25

Yup, great bike, after a couple of hundred miles you'll see you didn't really need a bigger bike  Grin  

(How new?  new new?   0 miles?  ...then wait 500-600 miles before making her scream, watch the revs, no red-lining! ...the rest of the machine's life will depend on those first hundreds of miles) Oh, oh!  ...and get a magnetic oil-drain plug  Wink

Happy riding.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #18 - 11/15/07 at 07:18:46

And don't forget to take pictures to share with the rest of us!

All it takes is a cheap digital camera and a free photobucket.com account.  Posting photos is only tricky the first time!

This shows a small magnetic tank bag.  Good place to keep the garage door remote, parking meter change, sunglassese or regular specs and a cheap digital camera.  Comes right off the bike when you park.  Make sure the one you get doesn't interfere with your view of the speedometer.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #19 - 11/15/07 at 12:41:04

Stimpy...

Yea, it was brand new in the crate, but an 06 model.  I think I got a pretty good deal too, OTD price was $3800.
I don't think I would want a physically bigger bike, but a little more power would be nice.  I may go to a sports bike later, but time will tell; still not sure.

drharveys...

Yea, pictures make the boards a lot more fun, but I gotta get me a new camera first.  My old one is toast, and I just blew a big chunk of change on a new motorcycle  Grin  I got a lot of other stuff on my Christmas list too, like windshield, leather, upgrades, helmets etc...  Maybe adding a camera wouldn't be too much.  Hey I'm single and I've got good credit.   Grin  I've still got that voice in the back of my head nagging me though.  How do you shut that guy up?

I like the tank bag but I'll probably store my stuff down low where all the extra space is.  You know... where that other cylinder is supposed to be. Wink  JK!

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 11/17/07 at 18:56:52

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
my advice is to remember that you are invisible.  

Amen.  I was driving my Corolla in town yesterday -- right lane (2 lanes my direction, 1 oncoming).  I have a habbit of looking over my shoulder to change lanes, not completely trusting the mirrors.  Started to change into the left lane, checked both mirrors (clear), then looked over my left shoulder.  If I'd changed with only the mirrors, I would've run a car right off the road.  There was a HUGE blind spot to my left rear.  I could only think, "Man, what if that was a bike?!  I couldn't even see the car!"  Lotsa people change lanes w/only their mirrors -- even the conscious & semi-conscious ones.  Bad practice.  Then, there's the completely unconscious cagers who aren't at all aware, and don't care.    

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 11/17/07 at 21:26:16

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
you got the name right, savage   it's all good.  ride  ride ride.  saddle time cures monkee butt.

add commute time and be prepared to talk to people who see the machine, they love it.  

Holy crap, this is so true.  I was out doing a search for a 13-y/o girl who is missing in my area, and a guy stopped me to ask about the thumper.  He was on a Hardly.  His first bike was a thumper and I think he would have talked to me for an hour about them had I not had to get back to the command center.  These bikes are great.  Just ride the p*ss out of them, they will keep going.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
blues40
YaBB Newbies

Doyline, Louisiana
Reply #22 - 11/18/07 at 07:57:46

I purchased a 2007 (blue) S40 Nov. 6th for SO.  Her first bike and on her birthday so she was pretty happy!

I rode it home from the dealer in Shreveport, about 30 miles and found it to be pretty tight and sluggest.  Thanks to the info on this forum and pictures from "The Savage Companion" I finished the carb fix this morning.

Stock bike had the standard needle spacer .112" thick, I sanded it down to .060".  Main jet was 145, I replaced it with 152.5 ( I purchased 152.5 and 155 when I bought the bike).  Pulled out the air adjust screw cover and found  it to be 1-1/2 turns out.  After warm up I ended up at 2 turns out.

Have not ridden as it rained this morning, but it sounds like it has lots better power and throttle response.  

P.S.  There was gunk in carb bowl, probably had old gas in there for a while sitting at the dealer.

My first bike
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #23 - 11/18/07 at 10:57:07

If you still have popping remove that spacer altogether. That thing was just a kneejerk reaction to meet EPA. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 11/18/07 at 11:48:48

If I may suggest ... backfiring is primarily a function of a lean pilot circuit, assuming the exhaust is not leaking air, so making the pilot circuit richer will likely be a better solution.

IP Logged
blues40
YaBB Newbies

Doyline, Louisiana
Reply #25 - 11/18/07 at 13:09:52

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
If I may suggest ... backfiring is primarily a function of a lean pilot circuit, assuming the exhaust is not leaking air, so making the pilot circuit richer will likely be a better solution.

I agree, after riding,  it seems better on  low end and 3/4 throttle of more,  the mid range is still lean.  No popping or backfiring tho.

My first bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:34:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage (boulevard s40)...Advice?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.