Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fair Weather Bike (Read 69 times)
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Fair Weather Bike
11/10/07 at 10:56:35

The ol'e bike dose not like cold weather.  It will not stay started below 55 deg  When it is warm it runs fine 60 deg or warmer it runs fine.  I can keep it started with the throttle kind of and when I am going about 30 mph but if I stop it dies..  I started it yesterday and let run with the choke out and let it idle and it seemed ok for about a minute or two.  Then it started spitting and died. ??? :'(

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Fair Weather Bike
Reply #1 - 11/10/07 at 12:28:04

You'll need to tell us what's up with your bike for us to help you.  How old?  Mods?  When did you last ride it?  When did you last fill 'er up?  etc...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #2 - 11/10/07 at 12:44:49

My '07 starts with half choke at 40 degrees. After 5 seconds turn off choke and keep at 1200-1400 rpm with throttle lock for a minute or so while putting on earplugs, helmet and gloves. Then drive of gently and keep rpm down for about 4-5 minutes. Oil= 15W50 ext MObil One. Cheesy Have mods below. Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #3 - 11/10/07 at 20:05:39

87 30000 mi no mods.  Ran great a couple of weeks ago when warm got plenty of gas ive put aprox 600mi since end of August.  it was burried in the shed.  When it got cold it started acting up.  I am the worlds worst mechanic.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 11/11/07 at 03:46:23

KWKaletta wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
87 30000 mi no mods....I am the worlds worst mechanic.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Hmmm.  How close are you to Washington State?  Greg lives there...

Anyway, start by draining the float bowl and check for water.  Check the vacuum lines for leaks and/or gas in them.  Simple stuff first.  Experiment with different choke settings, there should be different choke settings than just "in, out."  
Bottom line:  There are lots of posts here with folks with similar problems, search function will help you find all this stuff.  With due diligence you can shed the "worst mechanic" moniker.  Let us know what you find.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/11/07 at 04:39:00

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Hmmm.  How close are you to Washington State?  Greg lives there...

Yeah...shop work has slowed down.  Tongue

Anyway, the Savage is not a Fair Weather Bike.  It is a Cold Blooded Thumper.  May want to richen up the idle with the air screw, and then leave the choke on the first notch position when riding at slow speeds.

Like I said before, seems like we get a lot of these posts this time of year.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 11/11/07 at 07:18:55

going into second winter with my 06 not one prob last winter i ride if its 40 or above and no ice on roads..(40 mph at 40 deg = 28 deg )
choke at start up bike rpms tells me when  its ready for no choke, any time below 50 i warm er up in the drive way as i finish puttin cold weather gear on good 3 mins or better..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 11/11/07 at 07:30:41

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
going into second winter with my 06 not one prob last winter i ride if its 40 or above and no ice on roads..(40 mph at 40 deg = 28 deg )
choke at start up bike rpms tells me when  its ready for no choke, any time below 50 i warm er up in the drive way as i finish puttin cold weather gear on good 3 mins or better..

That's another important thought...one that people should remember when starting their car too.

All too often people start up and drive off.  That's sometimes called a "dry start", especially if the vehicle has been sitting awhile.

In cold weather the oil is thicker and slower flowing.  Need to let it warm up longer for a couple reasons in cold weather.  It'll make the clutch and tranny smoother acting too.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #8 - 11/12/07 at 04:19:00

I ride mine regardless of the weather; 26 degrees the other morning.  When it is cooler I do have to ride with it in the "prime" position.  Otherwise not a lick of trouble.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 11/12/07 at 05:51:44

Along with Greg's suggestion of adj'ing the mixture, you may also want to tweak the idle up a little in cold weather.  Idle is probably the easiest thing to adjust....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 11/12/07 at 05:57:36

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
That's another important thought...one that people should remember when starting their car too.

All too often people start up and drive off.  That's sometimes called a "dry start", especially if the vehicle has been sitting awhile.

In cold weather the oil is thicker and slower flowing.  Need to let it warm up longer for a couple reasons in cold weather.  It'll make the clutch and tranny smoother acting too.

Also agreed with Greg on this one.  At my 50 deg F self imposed riding limit, the Oil preesure gauge at stratup is 30 PSIG because how thick the oil is.  Poor little gauge is just about pegged......  I wait till it gets down to 15 before riding.

Here's the gauge this past August.  Big difference in pressure.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #11 - 11/12/07 at 10:23:52

I do almost the same thing as Thumperclone.  If it is in the 40's, I start with a full choke for initial start then knock it down to half choke for a minute or so, while I am getting suited up.  When it is below 40, I let it run a little longer on half choke then let it idle for a few minutes to get the oil thinned a little.  My 06 loves the cool weather once it gets warmed up.  It don't get real cold here on the Mississippi Gulf coast, but I have run it as low as 35 degrees with no problems once it warmed up.  Had to start it a little before everyone else so I would be ready to go though.  Temperature "sweet spot" is in the 50's.

Ride safe

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
astrolin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/27/07 at 16:05:44

I know this may sound stupid, but when thumperclone said "choke at start up bike rpms tells me when  its ready for no choke" is that when the RPMs drop.  I ride my savage all the time and whenever I start it cold (even if I just rode it a few hours ago) I start it with full choke and then when the RPMs drop I the choke off to half.  After I do this it dies about 15 seconds later.  I have tried turning the choke completely off and completely on, but anything I do it dies.  Any suggestions?  I am riding an '01 with 6600 miles.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 11/27/07 at 17:00:02

astrolin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I know this may sound stupid, but when thumperclone said "choke at start up bike rpms tells me when  its ready for no choke" is that when the RPMs drop.  I ride my savage all the time and whenever I start it cold (even if I just rode it a few hours ago) I start it with full choke and then when the RPMs drop I the choke off to half.  After I do this it dies about 15 seconds later.  I have tried turning the choke completely off and completely on, but anything I do it dies.  Any suggestions?  I am riding an '01 with 6600 miles.
yes thats what i meant..think all you need to do is raise your idle speed a bit,no problems once shes fully warm ?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #14 - 11/27/07 at 17:28:01

I took off today about 7:00 AM, and I think it was in the low to mid 40s (yes this DOES happen in Houston).  Half-choke worked fine while I was getting my gear on.  In fact, my bike always likes half-choke, and I usually turn it off 30 seconds after I roll.  The cool wind was another issue.  The liner on my leather jacket was near-useless, as were my gloves.  I think I need some Thinsulate stuff if I'm going to do this morning stuff very often.  I had to warm my hands on the cyl. head at a light  Undecided

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fair Weather Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.