Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got my savage finally (Read 209 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Got my savage finally
07/09/08 at 07:33:48

So I finally landed a savage, or s40 I guess.  It completely broke me, and I probably paid 100-200 dollars too much for it, but I was sick of waiting and didn't wanna run the guy off by asking him for more price drop.  Paid 3300 for an '05 with a windshield and sissy bar and 1,700 miles.

Had never ridden a motorcycle before last night.  I had to go to oklahoma (I live in arkansas) and right when I got there it started storming right west of us, moving east.  So, as it was getting dark and a storm coming, had to figure out how to ride the bike then immediately take it on the turnpike for the long haul back home.  Then I had to take a turny backroad all the way to my house in the dark.  That was a crazy and scary experience, and today I didn't even get to ride my bike because it rained.

Anyway, since I am now broke, does anyone have any suggestions for making some REAL cheap throwover saddlebags?  Is there any danger in just making some ghetto bags for a little while? (like will they get caught in the wheel or blow around too much if I don't give them a hard back?)  I really know nothing about saddlebags other than that I cannot pay very much for them, but need them very much.

Josh

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Got my savage finally
Reply #1 - 07/09/08 at 07:57:05

day trip size back pack,wear it or bungiee to back seat...i use one as a "tackle box"to go fishin...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #2 - 07/09/08 at 07:57:28

You paid $100. more than i did for my 05, but yours has 1000 fewer miles on it than mine did when i bought it a couple months ago.
You didn't overpay in my opinion.. Now go get some spare keys for it and upgrade the stock headlight and tail light!
Congrats!
Cheesy

IP Logged
aebooze

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingsland, GA
Reply #3 - 07/09/08 at 08:02:44

darn you'd never ridden before and you took it on the highway?  Glad you made it home ok.  I still haven't worked myself up to that yet.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 07/09/08 at 08:03:01

Congrats on the Savage!  And on making it home in one piece.

Ghetto bags can be cool, if done right.  We've seen some very creative stuff on Savages/S40.  With any soft bags on the back, you'll need to make sure that they have supports so they don't get caught in the wheels.  You can make your own supports from some bent rod or the likes.  Feel free to be creative.  Must of us Savage owners have to be, since we are also broke most of the time.

Also, you can use other carrying options instead of saddlebags.  That sissy bar is a great thing to strap bags/boxes to.  Do some searches on this site for saddlebags and luggage.  Also look in the tech section.

Enjoy the new bike and keep the Rubber Side Down!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/09/08 at 08:55:15

Get a milk crate, set it on the pillion (you won't be taking any passengers for awhile anyway)  either take off the sissy pad and mount it on the crate or just leave it off.  strap the crate to the bar, another strap to the shock mounts to the front of the crate and you're ready for some serious hawlin'.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/09/08 at 09:53:41

Trial by fire!
Thrift shop, man-bags/messenger bags are more comfortable than backpacks for me.  The backpacks tend to cut off circulation at the shoulders.  Wonkish saddlebags will tend to get in spokes.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/09/08 at 10:17:00

Josh, try to save up for the MSF course!  You will learn a few key points to staying safe out on the road.  Congrats on your new bike, Good Luck and ride safe!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #8 - 07/09/08 at 11:14:10

Congrats on your purchase! You're going to love the bike. Smiley

A cheap set of saddlebags will run you less than $100, the brackets to keep them out of the wheel can be fabricated (check threads here) or purchased for around $60.

If you're dumping money into crates, bags, etc... Why not just invest in actual bags?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #9 - 07/09/08 at 11:20:58

I've got an Ogio Sector Z backpack which is big enough for my 15" Dell laptop and an ATV Cargo net kind of like this http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_10-0010
that I connect to the rear shocks and the fender.  The backpack was free and I think I paid $7.99 at Meijer for the net.

It's really nice on 90+ days so the pack doesn't make my back sweat so much.  I even manged to put 5 pounds of rawhide bones and a box of Grandma's cookies in it on day one my way home from work.  Grin

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 07/09/08 at 11:37:40

My favorite bag is the Dowco Overnighter bag here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/124/5429/ITEM/Dowco-Iron-Rider-Over.... It's strapped and bungeed on my rear rack usually containing a little under 15 lbs. of photo gear for my job, which requires me riding to/from numerous locations all day/night. It's a great bag, just needed to get used to riding with the weight at the extreme rear of the bike. But for riding with stuff with little weight, I hardly notice it back there. I paid $53 for it on ebay, and registered it with Dowco for a 2 year warranty.

FSO
  IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #11 - 07/09/08 at 18:02:35

Wow.  I admire your bravery.  Or craziness.  I had never ridden a street bike (only dirt bikes almost 20 years ago) when I bought my Savage.  I rode her around the dealership's parking lot for almost an hour before I braved the 13 miles of straight county roads home.  I take her on the freeway now 1,000 miles later.

As far as bags go, I had a really great Fieldline hunting pack I bought at Wal-Mart.  I traveled with the thing on four continents and two major military operations.  It was nearly indestructible for $30.  Now Wal-Mart is selling the same bag as a motorcycle pack- instead of camo it's black with reflective tape sewn on and a sissy-bar attachment set-up.  I bought it about a month ago out of the automotive department for thirty or forty bucks.  You can fit three days of clothes and camping gear in the thing, or cinch it down tight with just a case of beer on the way home from work.  And it's hydration bladder compatible so on long trips I'll put my camelbak bladder in it.  It was way cheaper than saddle bags, fits more gear, and I use it as my carry-on when I fly, too.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #12 - 07/09/08 at 20:01:22

Hard Corps wrote on 07/09/08 at 18:02:35:
Now Wal-Mart is selling the same bag as a motorcycle pack- instead of camo it's black with reflective tape sewn on and a sissy-bar attachment set-up.  

Hard do you have a pic of the bag you can post?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/09/08 at 20:14:31

A backpack with a hole in it to accommodate a piece of heavy string in the lower front to tie to the left lower shock mount & a bungee to the helmet lock WILL work. The pack from Wally World for just under $10.00, a bungee cord? A buck?. It worked for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 07/09/08 at 20:34:13

welcome,  i uesed, use a set of throw over saddle bags i got at surplus.

with my bobber  i just throw them over the seat, sit on them to hold them in place.  they dont restrict the riding position. i jume off take them with me.  

a great score i got was a micky dee's  book bag,  it folds up real small stored in a small camera bag mounted toframe low in front of engine. take it out use it as a pack, it'll hold a half rack  or a gallon  of cow.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got my savage finally

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.