Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2nd Ride Even Better (Read 7 times)
EastTNSavage
Ex Member

2nd Ride Even Better
10/13/07 at 18:25:50

My first post was yesterday after a 50 mile ride which I thought was great. BUT, today I rode 150 miles through the the Smokies and surrounding area and I am again so impressed with this bike. I was riding with 3 other HD riders but had no problem keeping up through the twisties or straight aways.
  I have an 04 Silver model with only 2400 miles that I picked up at the local Harley shop. This is my first bike after taking the MSF course and the characteristics of this bike has made learning to ride extremely easy. My intentions was to keep this bike only long enough before moving up to a larger bike but now I am not sure I could part with the bike. The only negative I have for this bike is that the seat could be a little more comfortable for those longer rides.
 The bike does not have saddle bags or a shield. Could someone help me out with some suggestions on both of these. Does Suzuki offer OEM or is aftermarket better?
I will post pics of the bike and some of the beautiful scenery after my next ride.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: 2nd Ride Even Better
Reply #1 - 10/13/07 at 18:37:14

I like the rifles big windshields and i have willie and max gray thunder compact bags I think they are real sharp looking

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 10/13/07 at 18:44:52

I'm glad you are having so much fun and enjoying your bike so much!!

I am still new but I dont like the Suzuki oem saddle bags at all....I think the Savage,just my opinion is better and more functional with aftermarket accessory's.(Bigger bags,etc.)

And the seat...yes....most dont like the seat either  Wink
There are some guys who have put different seats on or did seat mods....lots of posts here to search on that.

Hopefully the guys will help out more than my 2 cents worth though.

There's alot of options!!
One thing I did learn was not to buy things too fast without looking at the other options....which sounds like your idea also.

Keep having fun on that bike  Grin

I love the Smokies also! Gorgeous there. Will enjoy seeing the pics!!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 10/13/07 at 20:33:06

EastTNSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
...  The bike does not have saddle bags or a shield. Could someone help me out with some suggestions ....

I have 3-year-old LeatherLyke bags -- look like new, lockable hard bags.  A bit steep at $430 but very nice.  Once the mounts are on the bike the bags slip off / on in a matter of seconds:  http://savage.andruschak.net/Paladin/LeatherLyke_off-on.AVI

For a windscreen I have both National Cycle's Flyscreen and StreetShield -- the 9" Flyscreen take wind pressure off the body, the 17" StreetShield puts a still pocket right at face level.

WWW   IP Logged
noshow
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 10/13/07 at 21:08:25

I don't post much but I check this site all the time. If you are looking for parts, try Suzuki of Alcoa. (next to the airport)

They seem to have most parts in stock but then again you will be paying dealership prices. Find out what you want then order it yourself. You'll save money!

I did buy the Suzuki windshield and love the look but hate the actual performance.

Not that I consider myself tall....but I'm 5.11" and it looks like it was meant for someone more like 5.8".  If this might be a problem for you, I would suggest a memphis slim windshield or something like that...

By the way, did you drive the Cades Cove Loop today? I live less than 15 mins from the Smokies.......always a great drive!

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #5 - 10/13/07 at 23:21:26

Bought my '06 used. It had the factory bug shield and saddlebags with it. Both are OK but could be much better. I am kinda large, 6 ft and 300 lbs. The bug screen blocks 90 % of the wind. The other 10 % seems to hit all around my helmet. Liveable for my 40 mile round trip commute but would be annoying on a long trip. Saddlebags should be able to hold stuff!! The factory bags should be called glove bags!! can get four 20 ounce bottles in one and a sweatshirt and gloves in the other. Hasn't been on my list to change yet.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2nd Ride Even Better

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.