Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new savage owner, is my bike totaled already? (Read 16 times)
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

new savage owner, is my bike totaled already?
10/11/07 at 02:33:21

hey guys, i just recently bought my first savage, its an 1986 with straight bars and its got some problems. first, the electrical- the turn signals and horn dont work, the head lights are always on highbeams, the switch does nothing. theres an oil leak that seams to be coming from the top of the engine. 3rd and 4th gear are slipping a little bit.

so, basically the only positives about the bike are that it runs and it has new tires.

now, im not a mechanic, not even close, but i really like these bikes and ive been looking for one for a year now. home repairs beyond oil changes and battery replacement are going to be tough to pull off especially with no garage space to do a job like this.

basically what im asking is, in all of your experiences, roughly how much am i lgetting into on repairs (at a shop)? would i be better off leaving it as it is? parting it out? selling as is?

also, i paid 700 bucks for it, did i over pay?

any help would be greatly appreciated. and if theres anyone who lives close to santa clara, how much beer would it take to have you come over and check it out? Grin

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: new savage owner, is my bike totaled already?
Reply #1 - 10/11/07 at 03:31:32

1. The wiring is likely broken and has been patched back together or just left broken.
2 You have a leaking head cap seal and it needs attention asap.
3.Never and I mean NEVER let the oil level get low.
4. The gears cannot "slip". The clutch slips but not the gears.
5 Price you paid was good.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 10/11/07 at 06:26:39

IMHO it was a steal. All the above is acurate and it sounds like a good project bike. I too am without a garage or shop but still managed to completely rebuild my 2000 from the ground up in my living room and driveway.
    The clutch is slipping prob due to the springs, an easy fix. leaky head plug seal also an easy fix. The electrical is going to be the hardest part and from the sounds of it your not that bad off. My bike doesnt even have signals or a horn and i ride with the brights on all the time (bright lights and loud pipes saves lives).

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #3 - 10/11/07 at 06:27:11

all these repairs can be done with basic hand tools and a good shop manual. good luck

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 10/11/07 at 10:31:13

And don't worry about not being a mechanic, I wasn't either!
Emphasis on wasn't, I guess now I am  Grin
Good luck with fixing the bike.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/11/07 at 11:35:36

Sounds like the infamous head seal/plug needs to be replaced.  It would be good to adjust valves at the same time.  Clutch slippage could be something as simple as a cable adjustment but I'd suggest replacing the clutch springs with some stiffer aftermarket springs.  Just the age of the bike could make that necessary as springs lose tension over time as they remain compressed.  They run around $12 to $15 for the set.  Replacing them will mean removing the right side cover and you'd be well advised to check out your cam chain adjuster while you're in there.  Overall, the electrical problems will probably be the most frustrating but possibly the easiest access.  I think there's even a simplified wiring harness design in the Tech Ref forum should you decide to entirely replace yours.  I would follow the above advice about keeping the oil from becoming low as well as that of having a good shop manual.  I personally prefer the Suzuki manual but the Clymers is simpler to follow and cheaper to buy.  Take a peek in the tech ref forum for known problems with the Clymers manual though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/11/07 at 11:53:26

Investigative work of any kind in any shop is expensive.

Shop rate times hours.

I'd do the basics and leave them as a last resort.

Clutch spring are easy to do, only a couple of hours of work.  And check the cam chain adjuster while you're there.  Read up on all your issues here, then make your decision.  One fellow took his bike in for a lot of little things and it totaled $1000.  Take care of the little things yourself, leave them the big things.

Key words to search for 'cam chain adjuster, clutch, head plug leak'.

WWW   IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 10/11/07 at 14:06:56

so, including everything, about how many hours is this project going to take?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/11/07 at 15:00:24

clutch, about 2 hours
adjuster, 5 seconds more
head plug, about 4 to 8 hours, not sure cause took break to get parts.  And these are the parts the dealer doesn't stock so plan for a week downtime.

now I'm not a mechanic, at least I haven't twisted wrenches since cars went electronic.  But the savage is just like my Vdub 30 years ago so I'm in my element, busted knuckles and formagasket.

If you have absolutely no experience, double the time.

I haven't got a clue with your electronic work.  But I'd still wade into it before giving it to the jr. booger picker at the stealership.  Cause that's who they'll give it to so it takes longer and they get more.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 10/11/07 at 21:06:03

First of all, smart move finding this site Danroot. And very smart to join and start asking questions before taking it to the stealership.

This group of Savage owners have saved my bacon many times with their advice and knowledge.

The symptoms you described have pretty much been answered by the above folks. I would heed their advise.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 10/12/07 at 00:19:16

thanks for all the advice guys, dunno if im going to tackle this at the moment. ive never worked on anything before, so im hesitant to jump in. when i decide to open her up, ill let you know how it goes.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 10/12/07 at 00:19:50

The best thing is to find somebody to give you a hand.
Don't worry about the electricals. They are easy. The way you describe, it seams that the left hand switch is bad and somebody just rigged it to have a headlight.
About the rest of the problems- they are common, the only thing is that You got all of them in the begining.
Before You start the repair, prepare Yourself with the parts:  Head rubber cap/cause for the oil leak/, side plug for the cam shaft, clutch cover gasket, i'd advise to get friction plates for the clutch, and check the posts about the cam chain tensioner/adjuster/ mod. Have one ready made, so You don't have to stop in the middle.
Before You start working on the head cover, read the links aabout the famous oil leak. There will be many pictures and advises.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 10/12/07 at 00:53:15

you would be wise to invest in one of gregg d's CD.s on the main page. walks you thru everything with pics

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:28:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new savage owner, is my bike totaled already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.