Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Average Battery Life???
10/10/07 at 22:14:23

Well I tracked down the charging issue with the Savage today after work. I found the water level WAY down on the battery! So much so, that I'm surprised that it even started. Looks like the stock battery from '04. Does anyone have any idea, on average, how long the stock batteries usually last? I did the maintenance and the bike fired right up, and I'll be putting the trickle charge leads on for winter. It was too late to pick up another battery anywhere. I'm just wondering if this is the sign to replace it now before I wind up stranded somewhere!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Average Battery Life???
Reply #1 - 10/11/07 at 00:19:59

Hi Southpaw (I'm a southpaw too BTW Grin) ... bought my Bike new in Aug. '03 and I'm still on the original battery ... pull it for the winter every year, top up the cells with distilled water and charge it up once a month during the off-season ... still works fine (so far).

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 10/11/07 at 06:24:59

Well, if nothing else I'm consistant on this matter - the battery has now been likely damaged a bit as the cells were uncovered - throw it away and install a sealed AGM battery like the Big Crank - and dont worry about the water level ever again - from what I can tell the AGM's are also likely to not need a trickle charger during the winter - I believe their discharge rate is only 2% per month or some such.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 10/11/07 at 06:30:11

3 years in the heat of the desert, your results may vary.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 10/11/07 at 08:46:15

Average *motorcycle* battery lifespan is about 3-4 years for a decent battery, depending on use, and the bike its in.

I go with Reelthing in that: once the level has run low, and the battery run down, their days are numbered. Usually in one or two digits. I prefer not to be stranded. Pony up $60-$80 for a good gel-cell battery, and forget about it for a few years.

How long all these new gel batteries are gonna last remains to be seen. But I'm betting they go for at least a year or two longer than the "old" liquid electrolyte batteries, and they're a lot safer too.

YMMV

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 10/12/07 at 01:36:01

Southpaw, its a good time to change your battery! Last year I was gonna ride across the states and back and decided to have my battery checked cause the fluid was low. Took it to a battery shop and they tested it under load and told me it was fine. 2nd morning on my ride from oregon, the darn bike wouldnt start and for the next 4 days till I ended up in Souix City Iowa, I had to push start or jump it every morning. Set there for 3 days while the suzuki dealer ordered me one. I could not find one in any Walmart, Bimart or even the rare suzuki  dealer that i ran into had one. Just casue this battery is retty much made for this bike only. (this is what I was told) because of the drain tube  being on the right side. It might start in warm weather but if the battery is weak,at all in cold weather, good luck on starting it. If i remeber right Greg D lengthened his battery cable by reorganizing the cable route so most batteries of its size will work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:23:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Average Battery Life???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.