Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Major Mistake! (Read 352 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Major Mistake!
10/02/07 at 17:20:22

well today, after i had been working on the old girl for about an hour, i decided to change the oil. After i drained the engine and changed the filter i began puting in the oil. I put down my little paper funnel for a sec and when i picked it back up again and put it to the crankcase i heard a tink-tank-clinck from a pebble that had gotten in the funnel and had poured down into the crankcase. My question is this: Is it possible to flush this rock out of my engine with oil or am i gunna have to take the darn thing apart again.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Major Mistake!
Reply #1 - 10/02/07 at 17:25:09

ouch!!! that sounds bad, i don't know if you could flush it out, it probably would get stuck behind something else. if it were mine i'd take it apart.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 10/02/07 at 17:40:36

was afraid of that, I knew in hte back of my mind that taking it apart was the answer. I am gunna start that as soon as I have a spare hour. I believe that ill get it out if i just pop off the right side crankcase cover, however will i need the gasket as well? the one that is on there now only has 200 mile on it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/02/07 at 17:44:49

Where are the pics inside that side of the engine?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/02/07 at 19:26:09

If you own a gun,...I'd keep it unloaded for next few days...
like,..maybe, until you can laugh about this...

Very sorry...

I just spent 3 hrs looking for a carb nut I dropped, while fixing an old ladies Honda, for free...
Hope that makes you feel a tiny bit better...

best of luck....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 10/02/07 at 20:06:50

From this picture, it seemsyou can just drain and filter out the oil and then repour it back in several time to flush it out. DON'T START YOUR ENGINE at all.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/parts/Suzuki/LS650P/2003/1255445

I know the year is not the same but our beloved engine haven't change for over 20 years Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 10/02/07 at 20:08:47

You could drian the oil and try flushing with kerosene.  Keep sending the kero thru until pebble comes out.

If it doesn't,  Then it's time to buy gaskets.  Try looking in the generator side first since it's downhill.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 10/02/07 at 23:25:57

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
You could drian the oil and try flushing with kerosene.  Keep sending the kero thru until pebble comes out.

If it doesn't,  Then it's time to buy gaskets.  Try looking in the generator side first since it's downhill.  

Yes, taking the left side off is a possibility too... As I recall, the little tunnel for oil at the bottom is pretty small though. Anything bigger than a BB (.177") would have a hard time making it that way I think.

Should you decide to go that route, here are some more pictures from when I had to replace the stator:

http://catoosatrading.com/images/cycles/lh_crankcase/

Good luck!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 10/03/07 at 01:26:07

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If you own a gun,...I'd keep it unloaded for next few days...
like,..maybe, until you can laugh about this...

Very sorry...

I just spent 3 hrs looking for a carb nut I dropped, while fixing an old ladies Honda, for free...

How far away was the hardware store??

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/03/07 at 07:03:26

The oil fil is on the clutch side.  I've had mine off twice to inspect the adjuster and reused the gasket each time.  Just apply a sealant around the oil path and it'll be ok.

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 10/03/07 at 07:11:41

Thanks yall, I will be removing the right cover soon, as i am scheduled for a weekend trip to paint rock in N. AL this weekend. It will be the first major ride since I rebuilt the old LS650, and i am not gunna let a little rock jam up my plans.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/03/07 at 10:01:23

splash07 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thanks yall, I will be removing the right cover soon, as i am scheduled for a weekend trip to paint rock in N. AL this weekend. It will be the first major ride since I rebuilt the old LS650, and i am not gunna let a little rock jam up my plans.

Might as well inspect your cam chain adjuster mechanisms while you're in there.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 10/03/07 at 10:19:59

what should i look for on my cam if it is going bad?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 10/03/07 at 10:37:26

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The oil fil is on the clutch side.  I've had mine off twice to inspect the adjuster and reused the gasket each time.  Just apply a sealant around the oil path and it'll be ok.

No need to go around your a$$ to scratch your elbow.  Remember KISS.

If that pebble is in there, it mostly is under the primary gear on the right side.  There is even a baffle under the oil filler hole anyway.  It shouldn't be too far away.

I'd recommend draining the oil by removing the cover.  Not by the drain plug.  Just to make sure the oil doesn't push it any further.

Good luck.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/03/07 at 11:04:44

Doesnt look like a pebble can move across with just drain flow. I would certainly pop the clutch side off. It would be better to crack the case & let it drain that way, so it couldnt drag any sand or small grit  toward the drain plug. Chances are, that pebble wasnt sanitary.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Major Mistake!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.