Head plug leak fixed??? (Read 10 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Head plug leak fixed???
10/01/07 at 13:41:55

I took on the dreaded head plug this weekend. Took it  to my friends house to work on it in his garage. Got it all stripped done and followed Savage Greg's tech doc (Thanks Greg). Head plug just more or less fell out of the hole so we cleaned it all up and I put some sealer around the new one put it back it and reassembled it. Took it home, next morning I washed off the engine at the carwash across the road and found out it was still leaking oil from somewhere. Took it back to friends house and we stripped it down again. I think the problem was the odd shaped O ring that seal one of the oil ways did not have the same shape as the replacement one I bought so I left the old one on there.  This time we changed it and bolted it back up. We had a slight problem when my friend tighted down the very front head right hand side cover bolt it stripped the thread not on the bolt but what it bolts into either the head or the engine case I am not sure.
Being as this is my transport to work I said just finish putting it back together and if it leaks I will fix it next time.  Now has this happened to others ? . If so did you heli coil it or strip  it right back down and retap the bolt hole. I checked it today after about 50 miles and it does not seem to be leaking oil anywhere.  So I will probably leave it till it does. Any thoughts on what I should do ?

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Head plug leak fixed???
Reply #1 - 10/01/07 at 13:56:18

You are welcome.

You stripped the bolt hole for the chrome cover on the right side of the headcover?  That won't cause any trouble since some people remove those covers anyway.

As for that little egg shaped o-ring, I use a little vaseline on things like that to hold them in place during assembly.  I keep a little jar in the garage.  Of course, you could use a wheel bearing grease, but it just seems neater Tongue

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #2 - 10/01/07 at 13:58:51

no it was the one that goes throught the cover down into the head , I think or even righ through to the casing

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #3 - 10/01/07 at 14:00:41

also when I took off the head cover the egg shaped o ring that was in there was almost like a figure of 8 not the like the one I replaced it with at all
Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/01/07 at 14:08:39

Well, I suppose that you'll just have to wait and see if it leaks.  That isn't one that's involved with holding the cam shaft...either that, or it will be another good winter project to fix the threads.

I've had this discussion before.  The o-ring is supposed to be funny shaped but not really a figure 8.  More like egg or oval shaped.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 10/01/07 at 14:33:55

If it aint leakin' I'd leave it alone. Cheesy.Me on the other hand stripped the right rear one that goes into the cylinder,through an oil passage.Guess what I had to do?
...that's right whole top end came off to do one heli-coil.Because there wasn't room to drill it out straight while on the bike. AngryI hate Murphy and his stupid laws. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/01/07 at 15:13:38

Demin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If it aint leakin' I'd leave it alone. Cheesy.Me on the other hand stripped the right rear one that goes into the cylinder,through an oil passage.Guess what I had to do?
...that's right whole top end came off to do one heli-coil.Because there wasn't room to drill it out straight while on the bike. AngryI hate Murphy and his stupid laws. Grin

That was your punishment for breaking the law...

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #7 - 10/01/07 at 15:24:19

I will have to do it one weekend I suppose  I live in California so I don't have winter. (thankfully). It cant leak much worse than the plug I suppose.  It does make me think a Lancer camshaft would be a good idea. cause if I have it down that far I  might as well, and of course it will need a carb to match it and my supertrapp lol. Then with a bit of tuning it becomes a "Super Savage" .  I  like that idea.
Steve

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #8 - 10/03/07 at 11:02:52

So far so good. No leaks.  The other thing I looked at a bit more was the stripped bolt. It looks to go right through the head so I could feasably put a slight longer bolt in to catch the good threads or put a thinner bolt with a nut on the end
we shall see
Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head plug leak fixed???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.