Shocking!!! (Read 10 times)
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Shocking!!!
09/27/07 at 14:38:28

Howdy All:

I've finished up the 1st steps of upgrading my '95 Savage with new 880 Metzlers, carb mods, Iridium plug, and general check-up.  I'm now trying to decide on the next upgrades.  At this moment the top of the list is struggling between improving the quality of the ride or a wind shield.  Eventually, both will happen.

The ride issues are a set of 412 Progressive shocks in a model 4233c or 4201c.  Question-  I weigh in at a svelte 250.  I am 64 and, at this stage in my life, I am built for comfort, not for speed.  Does anyone have a recommend?  The 4233 is an 11" unit. the 4201 is an 11.5" unit.  Question-  does the additional 1/2" increase travel by that much?

Other pieces of improving the ride include a modified stock seat- extra padding, maybe Gel, and raised, and changing out the front fork oil with fresh, and checking the stock front spring for loss of resistance.

Any thoughts, opinions or ideas about any of this would be appreciated.

I am clearly a newby to the Savage world.  I do appreciate this site.  I have read every post in all four sections.  This site has increase the knowledge and pleasure I get from my LS650.  Thanks to all who make it possible.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Shocking!!!
Reply #1 - 09/27/07 at 15:00:36

I have the 412s  11 inch 4233c  115-155 pound springs I weith 165  I think they are little soft for me I yous the 3rd preload  I thing 125 165  w houd be right for me.because of
angle of the   you have to have more pound springs   you really need some strong springs  i wish i knew what the stock springs where I thought they where pretty hard for my weight

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #2 - 09/27/07 at 15:36:17

You wants about 1 inch compression with just you on the bike (called sag)http://www.progressivesuspension.com/metric/index.html
look at their springrate chart under literature Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 09/27/07 at 16:13:13

Hardly wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
....trying to decide ...  improving the quality of the ride or a wind shield ....
Aside...  Early '80's.  my first highway capable motorcycle, a Suzuki GS450E.  Early Saturday morning take the 405 to the Santa Monica to California Highway #1 and up the coast toward Solvang.   The cold wind is cutting trough - core body temperature dropping - can't continue - hang a right just past Point Mugu and take the 101 inland away from the cold damp coast.  Somewhere along the line I spot a motorcycle dealer, stop to warm up and look at the goodies.
    They had a Vetter Quicksilver Fairing, with a mounting kit for my Suzi.  So I bought it.  Mounting it, if I recall correctly, involved removing the gas tank, handlebars, lights, etc.. Which I did in the parking lot.  Which no one questioned.
    Continued on home down the freeways at 65-70 mph and noticed a very strange thing.  No wind.  I got out a cigarette and lit it.  At 65-70 mph.  Fascinating.
    A month later I rode that bike to Seatle and back.

If you plan on continueing to ride as the temperature drops, a windshield will help *ALOT* toward keeping warm.  Ride quality doesn't mean much if you are shivering uncontrollably.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/27/07 at 17:02:55

gel seats below 40 F????

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/27/07 at 17:45:25

You wont get the goody out of your other mods till you slap a fork brace on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reply #6 - 09/27/07 at 18:20:29

Howdy Back:

And thanks for your inputs.

As I said, the windshield is a given.  The only thing in question is the order of priority.  What happens to gel seats as the temperature goes down?  Any opinions or experiences with the the Over-the-seat strap on types?  Sheepskin covers?

I rarely exceed 55 mph and not even that on a cool day.  I kinda liked the wind in my face in the warmth of a summer eve until I got clobbered by some giant Idaho flying bugs.  Yuk!!! Needless to say, that moved the windshield up on the priority list.

Justin- a fork brace is on the list.  I'm leaning toward a Tkat simple because of the price.  Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Adios, David

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #7 - 09/27/07 at 19:36:54

You won't have to go far, checkout the search for TKat and the other fork brace. The other name brand gets more cash out of your wallet. It's a fine piece of work but does not justify the cost over "ours". Tkat is also well made and the difference will be immediate.
Thanks for the subject, I two would like to beef up the suspension (220 lbs) last time I checked. But that is a "down time " job and I'm not ready for it yet.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #8 - 09/29/07 at 02:32:21

There is a thread going on now in the CAFE, 'progressive shocks'. Check it out as well as do a search for rear shocks. Many good postings concerning lenght etc

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reply #9 - 09/30/07 at 18:30:35

Howdy back:

Grandpa-  I've done the searchs and read them all.  I even went to the Progressive Suspension home page for more downloaded info.

I do now know that-
*Progressive does not list a shock specifically for an LS650 or an S40.  *The stock shock length, eye to eye is 10.5".
*The stock shock does not have a variable rated spring.
*Progressive #412 shocks are pretty generic.  The variables are grommet diameter, length and spring combinations.
*Any Progressive shock will be a nice upgrade over the stock shocks.

A variable not included here or in the PS info is a fact that I've discovered the last few years.  that is, the older I get, the better gravity works!!!!  How rude is that??

No where have I come across a travel comparison between Stock shocks and various lengths of Progressives.  Anyone know?  I wouldn't mind a little more wheel clearance if it meant more travel.

Given what I know, i've got it narrowed down to a 412-4233c 11" standard, 115/155 lbs. Or a 412-4236c 11.5 125/170.  Does anyone have any first hand expeerience with either of these?  Opinions will also be appreciated.

On a side note, we had our first snow flakes here in Southeastern Idaho yesterday.  The motorhome is gassed up and pointed South, but SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) won't think of leaving until all the Grandkids have been properly spoiled for Christmas.

Thanks again to all who provide this forum and those who share their knowledge and experience.

Adios, David

IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reply #10 - 10/07/07 at 15:41:56

Howdy All:

I've done a ton of research and reading on the Progressive Suspension website and perusing, comparing specs and numbers on eBay.  I'm disappointed to find that our typical 11” 412s only have 1.9” of travel.  I don't want to get into interference issues by going to a shock that is too long, by going to an 11.5” unit to gain .5”.

Is anyone using 11.5” Progressive shocks on their Savage having any clearance problems?  Is getting that last half-inch of travel worth the risk?

I'm also trying to decide between the #412-4201 with a dual rate spring of 115/155lbs and a #412-4236 with a single spring rated at 125/170lbs.  Again, I weigh close to 250 outfitted to ride, do carry stuff, and occasionally carry a passenger.  I do prefer comfort, and do know how to adjust the preload.

If anyone has real world experiences to offer with either of these I'd appreciate hearing from you?  How much will going from a well-used 10.5” stock shock to an 11.5” Progressive make in ride, wheel clearance, or other issues?

In researching on eBay I've come across several H/D shocks in the 11.5” size at very reasonable prices.  Other than an inch longer then a stock Savage shock, are there any advantages to a H/D shock?  I realize the H/D units take a Suzuki grommet to fit.

Lancer- I am following your advice/example by going to eBay to shop.  It is new to me.  I have found two that I might bid on.  I'd appreciate any advice or insights on the bidding process you may offer?  What happens to the item if the “Reserve” is not met?

Again, I thank all who make this resource a reality.

Adios, David

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/07/07 at 18:31:50

800 Intruder shocks are an easy swap if you can find a pair.  They're 12.5" and do require slight trimming of the belt guard at the front.  Much smoother ride.
 HD shocks require modding the bolt bushings and mounts.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 10/07/07 at 23:35:13

Hardly wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Howdy All:

I've done a ton of research and reading on the Progressive Suspension website and perusing, comparing specs and numbers on eBay.  I'm disappointed to find that our typical 11” 412s only have 1.9” of travel.  I don't want to get into interference issues by going to a shock that is too long, by going to an 11.5” unit to gain .5”.

Is anyone using 11.5” Progressive shocks on their Savage having any clearance problems?  Is getting that last half-inch of travel worth the risk?

I'm also trying to decide between the #412-4201 with a dual rate spring of 115/155lbs and a #412-4236 with a single spring rated at 125/170lbs.  Again, I weigh close to 250 outfitted to ride, do carry stuff, and occasionally carry a passenger.  I do prefer comfort, and do know how to adjust the preload.

If anyone has real world experiences to offer with either of these I'd appreciate hearing from you?  How much will going from a well-used 10.5” stock shock to an 11.5” Progressive make in ride, wheel clearance, or other issues?

In researching on eBay I've come across several H/D shocks in the 11.5” size at very reasonable prices.  Other than an inch longer then a stock Savage shock, are there any advantages to a H/D shock?  I realize the H/D units take a Suzuki grommet to fit.

Lancer- I am following your advice/example by going to eBay to shop.  It is new to me.  I have found two that I might bid on.  I'd appreciate any advice or insights on the bidding process you may offer?  What happens to the item if the “Reserve” is not met?

Again, I thank all who make this resource a reality.

Adios, David

Here's an older post where we went through quite a bit on the progressives - page2/3

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I have not used any 11.5" shocks only the 11" - both the 412-4232c and 412-4233c

Certainly at 12.5" you are running into other considerations from rubbing the belt guard to oil check issues with the bike no longer level - at 11.5" I do not know.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:39:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shocking!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.