Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Put on my Progressive shocks today (Read 357 times)
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Put on my Progressive shocks today
09/12/05 at 14:58:56

VERY satisfied with the results. No more "mechanical bull" rides!  Grin  It 's rides smoothly now, even plush. Just way better dampening. At 70 mph it doesn't feel skittish, it feels stable, like a 500 pound bike. In hard corners it doesn't bob & weave & try to pitch me off. Bopping around the neighborhood it doesn't bounce me up & down. I got the 12.5" Progressive 412-4207C shocks. They come with a few sets of bushings & the thinwall ones fit. Putting the bike on a cinder block & taking off the old shocks was easy. Dropping the wheel enough to put the longer shocks on was, well, 1/2" from being easy. A few taps with a hammer to compress the spring & they snapped into place. Took 20 minutes, including 5 minutes looking for my lost tools.  Wink

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Put on my Progressive shocks today
Reply #1 - 09/12/05 at 16:17:12

if u had to stop fast wouldnt the back wheel come up?

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/12/05 at 16:28:33

No, the front brake's too weak to do a "stoppie", at least sitting down.  Smiley The longer shocks did raise the back some but it still sits lower than a trailbike or supermotard, so it would take a lot more braking power to lift the back tire off the ground.

WWW   IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #3 - 09/13/05 at 14:50:09

How much did they cost & where did you get them?

Thanks.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/13/05 at 16:04:41

I paid $321.45 at the Suzuki dealer, including shipping & tax @ 8.25 %. They can be bought cheaper elsewhere but I didn't have the cash on hand soon enough so I just put them on my Suzuki credit card. Lookin' forward to paying that off, someday. Undecided
I should add that these might feel a little stiff for anyone under 170 pounds or if you ride the stock shocks at the lowest preload setting. I'm over 200 & ride at the lowest preload with these & they're just right for me.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 09/24/05 at 22:44:30

I just got a pair of the 412-4214C models.  They are the heavy duty version of the 4207C and at 200 lbs., I figured heavy duty couldn't hurt.  They are 12.5" also.  They went on easily though I now have a slight rub by the belt on the belt guard when I'm not on the bike.  I'll either modify the guard or remove it.  Instead of tapping them to get them on I used the handle of a mallet as a lever between the tire and fender to gain the extra 1/2" necessary to slide 'em right on.  Haven't ridden with 'em yet; I want to alleviate the belt rub before riding.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 09/25/05 at 07:19:34

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I just got a pair of the 412-4214C models.  They are the heavy duty version of the 4207C and at 200 lbs., I figured heavy duty couldn't hurt.  They are 12.5" also.  They went on easily though I now have a slight rub by the belt on the belt guard when I'm not on the bike.  I'll either modify the guard or remove it.  Instead of tapping them to get them on I used the handle of a mallet as a lever between the tire and fender to gain the extra 1/2" necessary to slide 'em right on.  Haven't ridden with 'em yet; I want to alleviate the belt rub before riding.

How much, Rob?  Do different shocks help the monkey butt?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 09/25/05 at 08:01:59

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
How much, Rob?  Do different shocks help the monkey butt?

Shocks are $200 at MAW and slightly more at BikeBandit (though the AMA member discount at BikeBandit makes them about the same) but I can't report on 'em yet.  I'll let you know. I'm expecting something similar to Babbalou's findings above.  They are definitely higher.  They look something like Lancer's so far as clearance in the back goes.  It'll be easy to put the saddlebag supports back on and the larger rear tire is in absolutely no danger of rubbing - even on the softest setting.  After putting a larger tire on a while back, I had to use the stiffest preset on the stock shocks and remove the saddlebag supports.  I was looking mainly for better clearance and a softer ride.  Of course, I have to use a spanner wrench to adjust them now but it came with the shocks.  So far as monkey-butt goes, the gel seat delays that quite a bit by insulating away a large part of the vibrations.  A pulled lower back muscle may keep me in the cage for a few days but I'll let you know soon.

Update: I did have to modify the belt guard because of the changed angle with the higher shocks.  I removed the lower guard plate (the small one) and cut a section out of the larger guard to keep the belt from rubbing.  The belt might be a touch loose.  I'll check that more closely later.  Based on a twist by hand, it's not bad.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 09/25/05 at 19:44:12

So Rob, I guess this means you have given up on those air shocks.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 09/26/05 at 06:59:57

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
So Rob, I guess this means you have given up on those air shocks.

Well, here's the story... I was trying to locate the proper bushings to mount the air shocks and give 'em a go but I started thinking that I wanted some with a higher clearance than stock at it's highest preset but a softer ride.  The air shocks are 10.5' eye-to-eye unextended while the Progressives I got are 12.5" at the softest/lowest preset.  I've recently heard a lot of good about the Progressives and thought they'd fit the bill.  I think you can tell by the angle in the image above that the clearance change is significant.  I'll try to get a full pic of the bike up in a day or two.  If I decide to make it lower again, I'll use the air shocks rather than the stockers.  I believe the bushings that came with my Progressives will work with the air shocks too.

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 09/28/05 at 17:43:16

These are really intended to give you an idea of the clearance using the 12.5" Progressive shocks at their lowest/softest setting.

AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Reply #11 - 09/28/05 at 18:16:23

What's a progressive shock? How is it different from what came on my stock '06? (Which is described by the Suzuki website as "Twin shock, 5-way adjustable spring preload.")

Hold on... I think my inexperience is showing... Shocked

::zzzziip::

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 09/28/05 at 18:49:35

AndyC wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
What's a progressive shock? How is it different from what came on my stock '06? (Which is described by the Suzuki website as "Twin shock, 5-way adjustable spring preload.")

Hold on... I think my inexperience is showing... Shocked

::zzzziip::

Progressive Suspension is a manufacturer of suspension products - a brand name.

AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Reply #13 - 09/28/05 at 19:07:29

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Progressive Suspension is a manufacturer of suspension products - a brand name.

Aha.  Got it.

::hangs head in n00bish shame::

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 09/29/05 at 05:37:42

Well, I must say I like the ride but the raised seating position will take a little getting used to.  It feels more like a motard than it did before and I'm definitely going to need to adjust my headlight.  Being higher in the saddle, I was wondering if I'd feel the wind more than usual.  Today's not a good day for comparison though; we just had our first fall weather front come through last night and it's quite a bit windier than normal anyway.  I'm not about to complain about that though.  It's only supposed to reach 79 F today and stay in the mid 80's to low 90's for the next week or so... which is as far as any meteorologist could hope to possibly beat a coin-flip anyway.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 08:02:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Put on my Progressive shocks today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.