Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
STARTER BUTTON NOT WORKING"HELP"! (Read 30 times)
ALRICH
Ex Member

STARTER BUTTON NOT WORKING"HELP"!
09/12/07 at 15:16:00

???  Was wondering i anyone out there in Savage land has ever had there starter button stop working??  I thought maybe the starter solinoid was bad so I went and bought one.  But that still didnt solve my problem.  I am wondering if there are any other relays that make the starter button work, or if my only other option to get it to work is to replace the control??  Right now I have to use a screw driver to start my bike it is a pain I would love to get the button working again.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: STARTER BUTTON NOT WORKING"HELP"!
Reply #1 - 09/12/07 at 15:26:12

Now that you have a new relay, it sure would suck if the problem was the clutch switch, side stand switch, or the neutral switch....

...but of course, you know that those items are what allow the decompression module to actually turn on your starter relay anyway.  Right?

I guarantee that the problem is not the starter button (unless the wires are cut) Tongue

IP Logged
ALRICH
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/12/07 at 15:34:51

I did not know what sent power to the relay but I will check into those.  Have any idea how to test them or is there a way??  Do you think my decompression module could be bad?  I have never seen it move or anything.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 09/12/07 at 15:59:54

My motto is KISS (nothing personal)....

Get a schematic, find a meter or test light, and then check the switches.  Those are what make the module work.

Never buy electrical parts until you have used those tools first.  Most places won't let you return electrical parts.

And for a totally shameless plug, after you get the manual, then click my web site link and buy my CD, too.

Click

The

Link

Right

Down

Here

V
V
V
V
V
V

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 09/12/07 at 16:35:05

There is a small switch under  the clutch lever. Unplug the little plug, that goes inside and using a paper clip or a piece of wire, connect the 2 wires.
 If this doesn't work just bring the bike in a shop. The way You sound, I don't believe Greg's CD will help You.
You will do more damages, than work.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
ALRICH
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/12/07 at 17:06:14

wELL THANKS FOR THE ADVICE i WENT AHEAD AND ORDERED THE CD ANYWAY.  i AM ALITTLE SMARTER THEN i SOUND.  i MANAGED TO REBUILD THE MOTOR WITH JUST THE CLYMER MANUAL.  EVERYONE HAS TO START LEARNING SOMEWHERE.  BUT THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ANYWAY.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 09/12/07 at 19:03:57

So......here is a techincian's standard dumb question we ask but have to cause you wouldn't believe how many people OOPS....so sorry in advance....

Did you check the position of the red kill switch by the throttle??   (see, I said it was a dumb question).

So, assuming you got the red switch correctly positioned.  There are fail-safe interlocks on the bike.  
1) clutch lever needs to be depressed to start the bike, period, no if's ... and's... or.... but's.  ((I don't like this one.))
2) if Bike is in gear, the kick stand must be up. (try starting with bike in neutral? ?)

With out these safety features engaged, the decompression solenoid won't make nosie (actually nothing happens when you hit the swtch). 

Since the switches are mechanical, they can go bad.  Both are "normally open" switches.  Means when pressed they complete the circuit.  To troubleshoot them as suggested above, all you need to jump them out (short the wires).   The Kickstand swtch connects to wire harness under the seat.   The Clutch swtch at the lever.

Try these semi simple things and get back to us......

EDIT: also check fuses!!!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/12/07 at 19:45:07

would suspect the sw on an older bike...  clymers/suzuki service man..a multi meter on top of gregs cd..couple of brews good lights in the shop/workplace youll be all rite
oh yeah patience...specially some of our responses!!! 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 09/13/07 at 05:14:21

Don't completely rule out the thumbswitch. Mine went bad after just a couple of thousand miles - not all that many starts. Somewhere there's a thread about it. Search for dressing contacts.

I took the switch apart and dressed the contacts and voila everything was back to normal.

But as others have said, a schematic and a voltmeter will work wonders.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 09/13/07 at 05:25:17

ALRICH wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
wELL THANKS FOR THE ADVICE i WENT AHEAD AND ORDERED THE CD ANYWAY.  i AM ALITTLE SMARTER THEN i SOUND.  i MANAGED TO REBUILD THE MOTOR WITH JUST THE CLYMER MANUAL.  EVERYONE HAS TO START LEARNING SOMEWHERE.  BUT THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ANYWAY.

I really appreciate that too.  I think it is a pretty good resource for a person that really wants to learn about the Savage.  You can see parts without picking up a wrench Tongue

Sure, everyone has to start somewhere.  I did too.  When I really started "getting it" though, is when I really started listening to others with more experience.  It helped to have some mechanical savvy, but once I realized that I really didn't know $hit I began to put all the pieces together.

In this case, we are discussing electrical stuff.  Generally people learn mechanical stuff first because you can put your hand on a nut and bolt.  It's a little tougher with this, because it's really hard to grab an electron....

IP Logged
ALRICH
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/13/07 at 06:16:38

Thanks for the helpfull info I will put some of these things said to the test.  Eletrical has never been my specialty.  Guess its cause it can be very confusing sometimes.  But the more I work on these things the better I will get

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/13/07 at 07:01:35

Believe me, if you know the basics of DC voltage, have the electrical schematic, and get a $10 meter then you'll find out why the "starter button" doesn't work...

...as long as there isn't any obvious signs, I guarantee the starter button is just the symptom, not the cause.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 09/13/07 at 07:24:32

Seems like someone found a dead spider or something similar inside their starter switch and, after cleaning the switch out, all worked fine.  I'd sure be checking the interlocks first though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 09/13/07 at 07:39:53

A guy brought me this XT250 because it wouldn't start.  I had to hose off the mud before I rolled it inside, and one of those large brown spiders (Recluse?) jumped off and ran down the driveway.

I'm sure the owner will feel much better when I explain that the spider ate his missing pilot air screw...Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:23:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › STARTER BUTTON NOT WORKING"HELP"!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.