Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oil consumption (Read 8 times)
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
oil consumption
09/12/07 at 04:58:39

It seems like my bike is eating a lot of oil. Is anyone else having an issue like this? Is it a savage trait? In the last 1000 miles, The site window went from full to no oil in the window. I have no leaks. Any ideas as to what this could be? A buddy mentioned maybe the valves need adjusted. I dunno. Anyone? I used a motorcycle grade 20W-50 at the last change

WWW   IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: oil consumption
Reply #1 - 09/12/07 at 05:15:54

The oil is either blowing past the piston or it is being sucked down the valve guides.  New rings ( possibly a rebore with new piston and rings)  and/or new valve stem olseals should reduce consumption

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 09/12/07 at 05:32:06

Let's quantify this question.  How much is the difference between "Full to No Oil in the Window"?  That's about 1/2 quart or so isn't it?

I wouldn't be rebuilding the engine quite yet.  In 1000 miles a hot old thumper engine is gonna eat a little oil too.  

We often get used to the oil consumption in our modern, tight, temperature regulated automotive engines, and we forget that our bike is more than just a nostalgic piece of history.  It is also old technology.  If you were driving a 2007 Valverie Rune, then you could be concerned.  

Instead, just add another $2 worth of oil and happily drive another 1000 miles.  That's the way it was 1986.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 09/12/07 at 05:50:17

Did you have the buddy ride behind to see if it smokes???

Like Greg says, a little consumption is ok.  A little smoke is ok too.   Smoke enough to shoo away mosquitoes isn't

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/12/07 at 06:47:37

Shoo away mosquitoes...I like that.  I was doing that when I started mine after the rebuild the other day.  All that engine assembly grease and oil on the valve guides and piston rings was creating a really big white cloud.  No mosquitoes in my yard Tongue

I almost forgot...It might also be good to check the oil level during a "pre-flight" inspection at least every 500 miles too.  Not quite such a long interval, just in case you really do have a problem.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 09/12/07 at 07:21:48

Check Your air box for oil inside. There is a crankcase vent that goes from the right side of the head-cover to the air box. In many thumpers the "thumping action" of the piston, causes the oil to go from the crankcase in the air box. On the bottom of the air box, You will see a hose with a plug. Place an oil pan under the bike and pull the plug. If a lot of oil leaks out- there goes the missing oil. If NOT- the oil was either boiled away , or burned.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 09/12/07 at 07:29:18

Why not...but of course, if you get a 1/2 quart out of that drain we'd be best to just start a whole new topic called an "Oil Bath for My Air Filter" Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/12/07 at 20:54:30

I keep an eye on mine with every tank. How much is needed seems to vary, I dont just keep it full, I watch & re fill when I know I cant go out of town on it & not get in trouble. It's easier to keep an eye on it & know that to ride wondering.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:15:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil consumption

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.