FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Thumper on Tour
Reply #75 - 09/24/07 at 00:25:55

Paladin,

Beautiful pictures!!

Do you feel any different now that youre back? Like a new man....or do you do this alot?

Also I'm wondering what all you have on your bike? Fork braces?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #76 - 09/24/07 at 00:38:21

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
It was fun doing -- both the riding and the posting.

Do you have a laptop with satellite connection or did you stop at internet cafe's or friends for the updates?
I absolutely love the big cactus, I have a bunch of them at home, but not that tall!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #77 - 09/24/07 at 02:27:08

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Do you feel any different now that youre back? Like a new man....or do you do this alot?

Also I'm wondering what all you have on your bike? Fork braces?
Feel relaxed.  Was a bit sore, but two days of not riding fixed that.  For me, a motorcycle is the most relaxed method of travel -- I feel less vulnerable on a motorcycle, a smaller more elusive target.  Unfortunately a motorcycle has limited carry capacity and is rather unsuitable for family use -- the first limited trips <1986 and the second >1986.

Don't do it alot.   This was actually only my third long trip.  The other two, in the '80's, were LA - Seatle and back on a GS450E and a 5 week tour of England/Scotland on a 500cc Silverwing.

I have a superbrace and Leatherlyke saddlebags.  For the trip I added the Street Shield and the sissybar suitcase.  Also carried, but didn't use, a sleeping bag & tarp -- just in case I was caught out in the middle of nowhere too tired to continue.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #78 - 09/24/07 at 02:40:42

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Do you have a laptop with satellite connection or did you stop at internet cafe's or friends for the updates?

Along with my at&t DSL I have at&t WiFi -- which gives me access in many if not most McDonalds.  Most of the motels I stopped in had WiFi, 'tho the only Motel6 that did was in Holbrook.  In OKC I had WiFi access at the IHoP across the street and at the Biltmore where the reunion was.

The Internet is mature technology and available almost anywhere.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #79 - 09/24/07 at 03:09:02

GrinThanks Paladin ... really enjoyed your Ride ... found it inspirational! Just might have to do a Road Trip next year!
Thanks again!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #80 - 09/24/07 at 11:26:55

The Internet is mature technology and available almost anywhere.

The reason I asked is because I'd like to take my laptop with me on my trip though Canada, Yukon and Alaska but wanted to find out about satellite links cause there are probably not many McDonalds or Ihops on that long lone road.
I'm not sure if you ever saw Jungle 2 Jungle with Tim Allen (hilarious BTW) but he had one of those satellite set ups. I guess they are super expensive though.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #81 - 09/24/07 at 11:47:01

The reason I asked is because I'd like to take my laptop with me on my trip though Canada, Yukon and Alaska but wanted to find out about satellite links cause there are probably not many McDonalds or Ihops on that long lone road.
I'm not sure if you ever saw Jungle 2 Jungle with Tim Allen (hilarious BTW) but he had one of those satellite set ups. I guess they are super expensive though.

The reason for me to take a ride like that is to get AWAY from anything to do with technology.  I work with it every day and am actually on call 24/7 (though it doesn't happen much).  I would leave everything behind...except a cell phone (for emergencies).

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #82 - 09/24/07 at 11:55:45

Gary On A Savage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The reason for me to take a ride like that is to get AWAY from anything to do with technology.  I work with it every day and am actually on call 24/7 (though it doesn't happen much).  I would leave everything behind...except a cell phone (for emergencies).

I'm a MOM.
I would never forgive myself if something happened to my kids while I was off having fun, and they were not able to get a hold of me. Also this would allow me to share my trip with them. They can log on to my website where I would post pics of where I had been. For me the ride would be just the joy of riding and getting immersed on the beauty of the surroundings. To actually have some time on my own and relax. But to totally get away, that's not gonna happen, and I do not wish for that either.
If your kids are older and have lives of their own it might be different. (but then again, maybe not)

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #83 - 09/24/07 at 12:09:24

I'm a MOM.
I would never forgive myself if something happened to my kids while I was off having fun)

thats why i have a "fur" family, just lock them in a closet for a week.  Shocked Shocked Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #84 - 09/24/07 at 13:58:46

I'm a MOM.
I would never forgive myself if something happened to my kids while I was off having fun, and they were not able to get a hold of me. Also this would allow me to share my trip with them. They can log on to my website where I would post pics of where I had been. For me the ride would be just the joy of riding and getting immersed on the beauty of the surroundings. To actually have some time on my own and relax. But to totally get away, that's not gonna happen, and I do not wish for that either.
If your kids are older and have lives of their own it might be different. (but then again, maybe not)

I completely understand your situation, and, yes, my kids are older...in fact I have a grandson.  Any way you enjoy your "thumpin' time" is a great way.  But my wife knows she'll never reach me while the thumper is thumpin' (can't even hear the darn thing ring).  She just leaves a message and knows that I'll call her back at the next butt break.  The last thing I want is computer technology.  I have yet to bring my camera along on a ride.  Just leather and a smile!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #85 - 09/25/07 at 09:08:17

I was only an hour away from a 600 mile two day round trip when I came across this thread.  I've only been rideing for 3 months so this was a big one for me.  my rump hasn't been this sore, well, ever.  I hope that I'll be able to do a ride like yours one of these days.

My motorcycle gets better gas mileage than your hybrid.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #86 - 09/25/07 at 10:29:28

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
thats why i have a "fur" family, just lock them in a closet for a week.  Shocked Shocked Grin

LoL....do you put food and water in the closet for them?

That's the only reason I dont have animals, I have no one to feed them while I'm gone Smiley

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #87 - 09/25/07 at 10:46:07

I have a superbrace and Leatherlyke saddlebags.  For the trip I added the Street Shield and the sissybar suitcase.  Also carried, but didn't use, a sleeping bag & tarp -- just in case I was caught out in the middle of nowhere too tired to continue.  

Is everything else stock? The shocks?
and do you know what Fork boots are?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #88 - 09/25/07 at 12:07:15

NDBiker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
''' 600 mile two day round trip ....  I hope that I'll be able to do a ride like yours one of these days.

When that 600 miles is in a single direction you don't have a lot of acceptable choices.  Like that Rally in Michigan it is "Push On Regardless."  Not to mention that as you get older pain becomes a constant part of life so a little more doesn't matter as much.

Quote:
The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #89 - 09/25/07 at 12:39:42

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Is everything else stock? The shocks?
and do you know what Fork boots are?
For the trip the only non-stock items were windshield, 140/90 rear tire, superbrace, rear lights, muffler, and luggage.

Fork Boot

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:27:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumper on Tour

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.