Thumper on Tour (Read 115 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Thumper on Tour
Reply #15 - 09/12/07 at 20:18:13

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
on your way back to la la land (i was raised in panorama city)swing up here to west colorado i got a lumppy fold out couch and bad coffee in the morning....

A possibility.  After today I know I can do the 500 miles tomorrow, but it's really not that much fun.  Will have to tell Helena that Arkansas and a BB1500 back to L.A. is out of the question.  The return trip is into plan B -- holding it to 250-300 miles/day, preferably on two-lane roads.  Most likely somewhat staight back as I would like to get home before the 22nd.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #16 - 09/12/07 at 22:38:24

i think the 300 mile a day is a good pace.

enjoy
sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #17 - 09/13/07 at 00:49:01

Have a safe and enjoyable trip Paladin ... am anxiously awaiting your blow-by-blow write up! Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #18 - 09/13/07 at 00:56:20

[quote author=Paladin link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1189602824;start=0#14 date=09/12/07 at 20:09:57
Quote:
Plan C for this trip is to tow broken Thumper to Suzuki dealer, trade for a new S40.  Plan D involves hotwiring a car.  

I like your plan D.  Roll Eyes

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #19 - 09/13/07 at 12:27:47

<* KenGLong waving as you head east towards the NM/Texas border>

May the wind be at your back.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #20 - 09/13/07 at 21:47:33

I couldn't tell, will you be going near Texico NM? If so, swing by Clovis it is only 10 miles from there.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 09/13/07 at 22:33:03

Paladin d man .....  I'll be praying for flat roads and smooth curves ... no potholls and any rain to be in the wee hours of the morn so you can wake up n ride to sunny skies.
Ride safe.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #22 - 09/14/07 at 09:39:42

Paladin. If you're not liking the 500 mile days at our age, don't get in the time bind like I did this last summer on my round trip to Miami . I ended up doing several fivers+, a six and a quarter and a seven and a quarter. At least it was over a hundred degrees everyday.

Why do we keep pushing these bikes above their pay scale? Because we can. Every trip I come up with a little something that improves the ride comfort. Bead seats aren't it though. Take care and watch for the big guys.

Jack

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #23 - 09/14/07 at 18:17:32

Asking a 650cc bike to do 65-70 for 8 to 12 hours a day is not pushing the bike.  Occasionally pass by a wall to the side which reflects the exhaust sound back to me, a steady Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap.  So pretty.

Traffic on the Interstate is very polite.  I was riding an indicated 60-65 being passed by 75-80%.  But once onto I-40 none of it was going more than 10 mph over the limit.  By my speedometer, most were holding close to the speed limits.  No one tried to kiss my butt before pulling left to pass.  All in all a very pleasant ride.

Some people complain about wind buffeting, especially around big rigs.  Yet the only time I was bothered was this last stretch in Oklahoma; which, judging by the vegetation, involved a noticible headwind.

Hi Ken, sorry about missing you, but I was in a bit of a rush going east.  I've decided to let younger butts to be certified as Iron, and take the easy way home.  Will figure out a route Sunday that heads westward in 200-300 mile stretches -- six or seven days to get back to the left coast.  Might catch you might head a different direction.  Don't know yet.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 09/14/07 at 18:39:07

So where exactly are you now?

IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #25 - 09/14/07 at 19:12:55

Hey Paladin, sounds like you're having fun.  I'd offer to help but I don't think you're coming this far east.  Stay safe.

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #26 - 09/15/07 at 09:26:59

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Will figure out a route Sunday that heads westward in 200-300 mile stretches -- six or seven days to get back to the left coast.  Might catch you might head a different direction.  Don't know yet.

You could pick up US-60 in Amarillo and take it all the way to Kingman. It's a great ride over the Salt River in AZ. Might be a bit cool in the mornings though.

Ken

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #27 - 09/15/07 at 09:32:29

And US 60 goes straight through Clovis NM  Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #28 - 09/16/07 at 13:16:35

US 60 sounds like a plan.  Right now I'm sitting in a roadside rest in Texas -- they have free pitiful-Speed Internet Wi-Fi in the middle of nowhere!  Will spend the night in Amarillo, go check out the Quarterhorse museum 9am - noon, then head toward Clovis.  106 miles . . . should be coming in about 2:20 pm tomorrow.

WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #29 - 09/16/07 at 15:36:30

Be sure you take US-60 through Globe, AZ and not 260 through Payson. 260 is pretty boring but 60 is spectacular. Phoenix can be a pain but you can take the 101 loop road to get around it and get back on 60 to Wickenburg where you'll grab 93 for the run into Kingman.

Another great road in AZ is 89 from Flagstaff to Congress. If your route takes you near Flag, that is one nice ride!

I'll be slaving at work tomorrow while you're out there doing what we all dream of <g>.

Take care,
Ken

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:20:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumper on Tour

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.