Send Topic Print
easiest mods to perform (Read 30 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: easiest mods to perform
Reply #15 - 09/09/07 at 12:57:26

Choices of best are subjective. I may prefer a deeper rumble someone else may prefer a higher bark sound. Then theres the "bang for the buck" & I expect the HD muffler is the better choice based on a compromise of good sound & good performance & low price. Now, I have to admit, I went with the Supertrapp. It was spendy, but I wanted the tuneability & performance it offered, It also sounded as good as I wanted. That was just pure luck on sound. I had no idea what it would sound like when i ordered it. I ordered it for the sake of tunability & performance. It opened the bike UP. It was a totally different ride. Then, added a fork brace & it was a new bike again. With each performance upgrade I went thru new learning & riding changed. Corner speeds changed with the exhaust & jetting, then again with the fork brace. I had to grow as a rider after each set of changes. I am glad the bike isnt everything it could be right off the showroom floor. Riding it stock, I learned a lot, then with the first upgrade, it took a few months to be able to utilize the newfound power, then with the forkbrace, I was able to expand the riding yet again. I would recommend the forkbrace as soon as possible, tho.  Hvae fun with that thing. get comfortable working on it. If you dont have the tools for basic maintenance, if you want to save $$ on tools, maybe starting to haunt a few pawn shops would be in order? You can go ride on Saturday & scout a few shops for tools, ride around & scout some more.. Its as good a reason as any to go for a ride!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #16 - 09/09/07 at 13:50:36

I like the deeper rumble.....I dont like something screaming at me Smiley

I listened to the muffler sounds again here and the best are: Supertrap,Jardine and mac slip on.Harley dyna is not bad either.

Just got to figure out the best sound for the lowest price for now.

How do ya'll know when you search for a muffler,used or not,if it will fit the Savage? Is it pretty simple to figure out?

Thanks guys !

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #17 - 09/09/07 at 16:16:21

911 radiomans brake pedal mod is the cheapest and easiest to perform. Autozone number 20730. about $3.00

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/09/07 at 16:48:25

Bang for the buck? I would lean toward the HD muffler. Note tho, I didnt do that. I went for the Supertrapp. Not sure what I would do if I had it to do over. I do like the look of the Dyna muffler. The $$ saved over the trapp would pay for a lot of stuff. I really like the Trapp tho. The bike did slip the clutch a bit after the mods. Wheelies( unintentional) forced me to learn how to acelerate without going all out. Before the mods, I copuld drop the hammer on it & GO, Not wind it out & drop the clutch,, No, But reall go aggressively & no wheelie, Now, be careful on takeoff or get a wheelie! Luvvitt!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 09/10/07 at 16:19:41

Asking again Smiley

How do ya'll know when you search for a muffler,used or not,if it will fit the Savage? Is it pretty simple to figure out?

I'm thinking moreso about the Supertrapp.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #20 - 09/10/07 at 16:38:40

read the forum. Its been established what mufflers fit the savage. Sportster and dyna muffs without the crossover fit the savage. If you see a harley muffler or a SE, ask the person selling it. My personal choice is an older sportster muff.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/10/07 at 20:28:20

Jump on the Trapp if you can swing the $$ easy enough. You wont regret it, BUT, save youself some freight & get the additional 6 disks, for a 14 total. The 8 that come with it arent enough.
If you will post which one you are gonna order I, or others, will look & make sure it will fit, I di think there was a model or 2 they make that wont.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 09/10/07 at 21:00:42

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
read the forum. Its been established what mufflers fit the savage. Sportster and dyna muffs without the crossover fit the savage. If you see a harley muffler or a SE, ask the person selling it. My personal choice is an older sportster muff.

Ok,I'm confused now.....which ones fit the Savage without any changes to be made?Re-jetting,etc.

What are my choices?
(And I'll listen to them in the tech section.)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 09/10/07 at 21:34:58

Get the Supertrapp, get one that fits an LS650. Whoever takes the order will want a year model. Your bike will likely NOT be in their book as a known fit, Mine wasnt either, but it does. They may not yet have the S40 in their books, so, tell them its the LS650 Savage. IF they dont have the 06 in their book, If they do, great, if not, no biggeee, tell them you want a Trapp for an 04 ls650. or an 03, same thing.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #24 - 09/10/07 at 21:56:19

want cheap, pick up a turn down tip at auto zone stick it right on the header (can baffle if you want using a washer and thumb screw) must warn ya tho it is loud.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 09/11/07 at 04:58:29

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Ok,I'm confused now.....which ones fit the Savage without any changes to be made?Re-jetting,etc.

What are my choices?

Let's put it this way... the LS650 is too lean to begin with and should be adjusted (and probably rejetted) just to run cooler and reduce/eliminate backfiring.  Just about any replacement exhaust will increase airflow and make it leaner overall, which will necessitate retuning.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 09/11/07 at 06:56:34

What are my choices?

Can you say... supertrapp.  This one's a known bolt on change nothin else done deal.  And it's tuneable, so when you do change the jet you're not stuck with a lump of steel.  Add disks per instructions and ride.

the worlds your oyster babe, go for it.

WWW   IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #27 - 09/11/07 at 09:30:23

I think the 2nd Cheapest is the Chrome Tank / Fender Trim - $10.00 or so.
It's the same chrome stripping you put on the edges of car doors.

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #28 - 09/11/07 at 11:02:09

Ok,"IF" you were going to rejet,etc.....then which one sounds the best?

While not tunable like the Supertrapp, I have been very satisfied with my MAC and it costs about half what the Supertrapp does.  The sound is good and it's an easy install.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #29 - 09/11/07 at 11:25:44

The header pipe is 1 3/4 " diameter. Of the two Harley mufflers I believe the Dyna muffler is the most direct bolt on. With a short adapter pipe you can use the factory muffler bracket and one bolt. Works fine in place of the factory two bolts. The factory muffler is pretty hefty. I have not seen the Sportser muffler but from what I understand the mounting is a little different. Just takes a good look and some minor adjustments to mount up.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:20:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › easiest mods to perform

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.