Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New (used) savage- many small fixes, but how? (Read 3 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
New (used) savage- many small fixes, but how?
09/03/07 at 15:40:20

Im a new owner of a 1996 Savage which is my first bike.

Its in generally fair condition for the price, $1100, but its got a lot of little fixes needed.

First, the neutral light is always on.  Crossed wiring?

The bike backfires, but the carb modification should fix it.  Is there an online tutorial on how to do that?

The first night I had the bike I left the bike on, draining the battery.  I can downhill start the bike and get it running, but the battery wont run the starter unless its been running for a while.  Should I get a new battery?

thanks

-Rob

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: New (used) savage- many small fixes, but how?
Reply #1 - 09/03/07 at 15:44:49

Just look through the tech ref section. Anything you wanted to know (and some you don't Grin) are in that section. As for the battery try a slow charge.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 09/04/07 at 06:24:27

Charge the battery and see if it will hold a charge.  Charge overnight.....

As for neutral light, if you are ok with electrical work, the circuit is fairly simple.  Power goes into light, wire out of light goes to a diode assembly that is shared with sidestand circuit then to the switch on the clutch side of engine which goes to ground when in neutral (switch is inside of engine side cover).  

The wire for N switch on my '01 connects under the gas tank.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/04/07 at 10:06:40

Check the water level & get a hygrometer(sp) for the battery. It is to check specific gravity of the battery acid. The distilled water we add to the battery is cheap compared to the cost of a battery. Since you dont know the age of the battery, maybe it would be a good time to order a Big Crank. Even if you get this one going, unless the PO can tell you its a pretty fresh battery, you sure might want to stick a Big Crank in there.  

Ohh yea, a syringe is the easiets answer to getting the waterIN the battery & not just On it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:14:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New (used) savage- many small fixes, but how?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.