Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RE: Fitting MUCH Larger Rear Tire in tech section (Read 18 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
RE: Fitting MUCH Larger Rear Tire in tech section
09/02/07 at 01:40:15

Oldfeller2 put a much bigger tire on his bike, so I was wondering about my too big a tire.
Is there a way to avoid the tire being rubbed by the belt?
My bike came with too large a back tire, it has this v-point shape on the side. The tire however is missing the sharp V-point on the side where the belt is, it's been ground off.
The guy at the bike shop said to inflate the tire a bit more so it rides higher, and that it really didn't do anything to the integrity of the tire. I still can't help but wonder.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Fitting MUCH Larger Rear Tire in tech section
Reply #1 - 09/02/07 at 06:43:44

What size tire are you running?I have a 150 on mine still have about 1/4" before rubbing.Maybe check your back wheel make sure it is aligned.I think there is a thread started on how to check it

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 09/02/07 at 07:14:48

there is difference between the same size tire made by different manufacturers.
Also there could be a longer bolt sticking sonewhere under the fender. The size of the butt sitting on the seat and the rear shock setting matters also.
If nothing elce is bothering You , but the little totch in the rubber, ride untill You wear the tire and after that install the correct size tire.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/02/07 at 08:39:14

Good point, until we know how big the tire is we can only offer "thoughts" --- most of which will miss your real need.

I can tell you how to fit up to a 165/80-15 that will not rub on the sides, but I don't think you'll care for the amount of work needed to do that trick.

My next tire will be a 175/65-15, a Pirelli P3000 sports car tire intended to go on European sports cars.   Width is 6.9" (fender is 7.0" wide).   Height will be 24" which will give me enough running room at the top to stop rubbing when I hit a larger bump.   This will require installation of my chain conversion which is sitting on the floor next to my feet as I type this post.

I may have to wait a while though, I just depth checked my tread and I have only worn off .030" after 2400 miles so my projected time to change is over 2 years still.

====================

If you are rubbing the belt, you must have a pretty durn big tire on there.   My current 165 doesn't miss the belt by much and belt to tire distance is still stock on my bike.  BTW, you will rub on the belt guard well before you get to the belt.  The belt guard can be moved over fairly easily with a flat bar.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 09/02/07 at 23:01:59

I need to check what size tire it is. I think it is not so much the size as the SciFi shape of it.
Actually, I'll take a pic of it, easier.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 09/03/07 at 00:37:16

Oldfeller2,

What kind of tire do you have on now? What brand?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 09/03/07 at 05:23:47

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1181496112

It is a Chung Fuie $34.99 165-15 VW tire that I bought to do the conversion with, figuring if it was destroyed it wouldn't have cost very much for the experiment.

Trouble is, it worked out and now the tire is lasting like forever, so I can't wear it off and I won't take it off -- too much trouble to change it.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 09/03/07 at 07:54:22

So, am what I reading here say that all I've ever seen and heard about car tires on bikes is wrong? The flat bottom tires will grip in turns and not have me on the side of the bike heading for a corn field in the middle of a corner? I'm not too interested in bigger (I already run an oversized Dunlop), but way longer tread life and potential better grip is always on my mind since I seem to be pushing this little bugger way beyond it's payscale with three and four thousand mile round trips out on the big roads a couple times each summer.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 09/03/07 at 10:42:31

Jack,  you can read a lot of nonsense about car tires on motorcycles written by people who haven't ever done it.

I heartily recommend the 145-15 tire for several reasons.  First, it fits the envelope much easier and does not require all the mods that the larger tires do.  Second, if you blow it up with 35 pounds of air pressure according to reports of those who have installed them they act "like a bike tire" when you first start riding them.  We have like 5 members running car tires now with no issues or comments about how hard it is.

Car tires that are softly inflated act strange to your hind brain -- your programmed riding responses.  So start out with the thing firmly inflated and ride it some like that before beginning to soften it up for maximum sidewall conformance riding.

If you want to read all about all the strange things you are scared about, I went and did each one of them on purpose and reported on them on the root thread "Drinkin & Thinking"

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=cafe;action=display;num=1179508...

Scan down towards the end and you will read about ways to make a car tire act funny -- and how not to do that.  Main thing is to run enough air pressure.

(seems like folks aready knew that though).

Oldfeller

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 09/03/07 at 12:50:58

Here's what's going on with my big tire, which by the way is a  Wild Flare 150-80-15 M/C 70H.
The nice looking right side:

The bad looking left side (belt and cover touches it):

I'm not sure if the tire's integrity is still ok.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 09/03/07 at 14:04:25

Are you still running a belt guard?   This damage looks belt-guardish to me.  Is there any sign of a rub taking place on your belt guard or on your belt?  

<  think .....    >

Aha!  Do you have saddle bags on your bike?  Does the bag on the left side rest on the belt guard?

If it is unsupported by a bag sub-frame and the bag leans up against your belt guard all the time -- then at high speed the air pressure defects the bag and the belt guard inwards to hit the tire.   Or same thing can happen when it is heavily loaded with groceries, etc and you hit a bump.

Mine belt guard is firmly safety wired so it always lays tight up against my shock absorber spring.  Mine can't deflect into the tire unless it takes the shock absorber with it.

Is your tire safe?    Yes -- your air is controlled by the tube, not the tire.   If you have 2 layers of cord left in the sidewall you are OK to finish out the tire.  

Got any white cord exposed yet?  If not, get out your stainless steel or aluminum wire and rig a temporary fix to your belt guard deflection issue.  

You can't take your belt guard off unless you have a set of bag supports to hold up your bag.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 09/03/07 at 14:07:09

I agree it looks like belt guard.I am running the same exact tire I have plenty of clearance.Also check youre alignment.(Is belt rubbing against one side and not the other of your rear pulley)?

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 09/03/07 at 14:21:57

I too noticed you are tracking to the right side of you pulley.  Only way I ever did that was to have the tire tilted, pointing to the left on the axle alignment.

Do your handle bars sit slightly off camber when you are doing straight down the road?

Shame you can't 100% trust them axle adjuster marks ....

Oldfeller

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #13 - 09/03/07 at 15:53:17

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Are you still running a belt guard?   This damage looks belt-guardish to me.  Is there any sign of a rub taking place on your belt guard or on your belt?  

<  think .....    >

Aha!  Do you have saddle bags on your bike?  Does the bag on the left side rest on the belt guard?

Got any white cord exposed yet?  If not, get out your stainless steel or aluminum wire and rig a temporary fix to your belt guard deflection issue.  

You can't take your belt guard off unless you have a set of bag supports to hold up your bag.

Oldfeller

Yep I guess it's the guard, even though the belt is almost as close as the guard.

Is it easy to take off?
I think I might just file that edge down a bit, and put it back on. I don't like the idea of not having it on.
The saddlebag is not leaning against it:

the bike came with two saddle bag guards, but they had been taken of by the previous owner cause one was broken. If you look closely you can see that I mounted a corner bracket on the broken part, used liquid iron to glue it and clamped it with one of those circular clamps that tightens with screw, AND a zip tie for extra measure!
So no, the saddle bag is not leaning against belt cover.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #14 - 09/03/07 at 15:54:46

Demin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I agree it looks like belt guard.I am running the same exact tire I have plenty of clearance.Also check youre alignment.(Is belt rubbing against one side and not the other of your rear pulley)?

What is the rear pulley?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 18:18:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RE: Fitting MUCH Larger Rear Tire in tech section

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.