Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What does 1.5 turn out mean? (Read 27 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
What does 1.5 turn out mean?
08/29/07 at 19:12:24

I'm reading lancers carb instructions, but have no idea what he means with 1.5 turns out. Does that mean you turn the screw  540 degrees (whole turn and half turn) to the left ? Or to the right. How can you make sure you turn the screw that far around? Mark one of the knobs on the screw with paint?
Or does he mean 1.5 out 1.5 knobs around?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: What does 1.5 turn out mean?
Reply #1 - 08/29/07 at 19:25:38

If you turn the adjusting screw clockwise (CW)until it is fully seated and closed, then you have reached the starting point.  (This is done gently in order to avoid damaging the screw)
At this starting point you then begin turning the adjusting screw counterclockwise (CCW) and count the turns going out.  In the example you referenced, 1.5 turns out, which means from the full down or closed position, the adjusting screw has been turned CCW 1.5 turns.
This is a way to keep track of the position of the adjusting screw, and when talking to someone else about tuning we can both be sure we are on the same page adjustment wise.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 08/29/07 at 19:31:55

Holy moly!!
I only just now realized that the instructions are talking about TWO screws! Pilot and Idle. Where the heehaw is the pilot screw?
I found this on the tech site:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We can also fatten up the low end of your bike's carburetor by turning out the low-speed mixture screw. To gain access to this screw, you'll need to drill out the brass plug pressed in over it and yank it out with a sheet-metal screw attached to a slide hammer. You'll find that plug up high on the right side of the carb about where the mouth enters the carburetor. Usually Suzuki applies a splash of white paint over the brass plug so that it's immediately noticeable.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not see a brass spot nor a spot of paint.
Is there a picture with the location of the screw available?
What does he mean with, "Where the mouth enters the carb"?
My manual does not even mention a pilot screw!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #3 - 08/30/07 at 02:02:49

Check the tech section for the jet mods and Lancer's tuning guide. One of them has great pictures of where you need to drill. Go slow so you just go thru the cap and not go into the screw below it. Then use a punch or nail to pry the cap off.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 08/30/07 at 08:04:42

Also, when you remove the plug and "turn the screw in"; do it gently.

You just want to seat the tip on the air screw, and then turn it out 1 1/2 turns.  Don't want to damage the air screw or the seat.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #5 - 08/30/07 at 11:30:47

grandpa wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Check the tech section for the jet mods and Lancer's tuning guide. One of them has great pictures of where you need to drill. Go slow so you just go thru the cap and not go into the screw below it. Then use a punch or nail to pry the cap off.

Had a hard time finding it, but is this the picture you were talking about?

Is it the idle mixture w/o plug that is the pilot screw?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/30/07 at 11:44:34

Yes,  Pilot screw, low speed mixture, idle mixture, air screw,  and some other names that I can't remember at this time.

People call it the pilot screw because it is adjusting the gas flow that is also going thru the pilot jet.  

And.....somewhere here (maybe in tech section) it says that if you can make the bike run rough adjusting the screw in both directions (too lean & too rich) than the pilot jet is sized correctly.  IF sized correctly, most people say run bike dead center between the two points.  But, depending on how you  ride, a slightly lean or slight rich low speed may be desireable.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 08/30/07 at 23:02:28

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Yes,  Pilot screw, low speed mixture, idle mixture, air screw,  and some other names that I can't remember at this time.

People call it the pilot screw because it is adjusting the gas flow that is also going thru the pilot jet.  

And.....somewhere here (maybe in tech section) it says that if you can make the bike run rough adjusting the screw in both directions (too lean & too rich) than the pilot jet is sized correctly.  IF sized correctly, most people say run bike dead center between the two points.  But, depending on how you  ride, a slightly lean or slight rich low speed may be desireable.  

What do you mean with, "if you can make the bike run rough "?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 08/31/07 at 09:29:59

Ooooohhhh .... if you get chance to adjust the screw you'll fine out what running rough means.

Hard to describe,.....there's a smooth idle (as smooth as a thumper can get!) and them there's rougher idle.  If you haven't play with idles on engines it's hard to tell you.  

You could actually have a rough idle now and if you never heard a smooth idle you would never know.   But it would be a WOW moment when you did.....

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 08/31/07 at 11:34:27

Now, what is better for the engine's "health"?
A smoother one right?
I'm guessing a smoother setting will make the bike vibrate less, is that correct? If that's the case I'm all for a smoother setting, my muscles are all jittery when I hop of the bike after an hour's ride.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 08/31/07 at 11:54:17

Yes, smoother is better.

Is your brass plug out so you can adjust the screw?

---
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 08/31/07 at 22:07:31

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Yes, smoother is better.

Is your brass plug out so you can adjust the screw?

Yes it is!
I'll give it a try tomorrow, just got off work and I'm beat!
Also got the parts in to change the oil in front fork. I'll be doing that as well!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 09/03/07 at 16:04:45

Well, I guess my ears are not attuned to engine sounds.
I've turned the pilot screw as far in as possible (it took like 5 turns), then did 1.5 turns out, marked it, started bike and slowly turned it bit by bit and waited to hear the engine turn rough.
truthfully, I can't hear a difference.
it doesn't get smooth or rough, it stays the same.
Is there like a a spring underneath the screw on the inside? it feels like it when I turn the screw.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #13 - 09/03/07 at 16:27:29

islandwahine

Did you increase the idle speed, (Step 2) prior to making the pilot adjustment?

Sounds like if it makes no difference either way you may have to go up to the next pilot jet size..... (Wait for someone more knowledgeable then I to confirm, I may be incorrect)

Below is a Quote from The Tech Section

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1157720585

Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning

-start with the pilot adjusting screw at 1.5 turns out as a reference point, and count as you turn in and out so you always know where you are during the process.  Everything is done and referenced in the "# of turns out".  

-turn idle up a little so you have a smooth fast idle

{Strafford's note - : the above refers to  thumbscrew on the left side of the carb}.

-turn pilot adjusting screw "in" until engine begins to slow downand note the # of turns out
-turn pilot adjusting screw "out" until engine begins to slow (it will speed up initially then go down) and note the # of turns out
-then set the pilot adjusting screw in the "Happy middle" of those two positions
-after the pilot circuit is happy, turn the idle adjusting screw back down for the idle you desire.

*for ex...if the turn in setting was at 1 turn out, and the turn out settig was 3 turns out, then the happy middle is 2 turns out.
**Turn slowly as you do this, no more than 1/8 or 1/4 turn at a time...then pause and wait 5 seconds or so in order to give the engine time to adjust, then turn again if necessary.  If you have a tach, then you can set the pilot adjusting screw by just tuning for max rpm, then set idle speed.

***If after you have finished this process, the pilot adjusting screw is 2.5 -3 turns out, then you definitely need the next larger pilot jet.  For myself, if I go over 2 turns out then I go up to the next size pilot jet.

When the pilot is properly adjusted, and assuming there are no exhaust leaks in the system, you will not have any backfiring.  It is normal to have some mild crackling and popping on brisk-hard deceleration, but there will not be any backfiring.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #14 - 09/03/07 at 16:30:03

I was using lancer's guide while doing this, but I'll try it again, I just couldn't hear much of a difference in anything, and engine was not slowing down either.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:14:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What does 1.5 turn out mean?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.