Send Topic Print
Beeping turn signal (Read 109 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Beeping turn signal?
Reply #30 - 09/05/07 at 09:59:29

What's the sound level db spec on the buzzers you used?

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #31 - 09/05/07 at 11:27:38

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
You guys are overthinking this...

Pull the flasher. Go to NAPA. Ask for an audible flasher relay with the same style blades. They make them for big rigs.
-WD

Napa here has never heard of them, thy had one flasher unit that clicked. Well, that's not gonna work!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #32 - 09/05/07 at 11:30:12

mark_k wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Added 2 12V Piezo electric buzzers in the turne signal circuit.

I guess it's hard to figure out exactly what you did unless I took a peek at my own flasher, so I can recognize the pics.
All in all, electric stuff is not my forte! I might just go for the pre-made one! I would like a really loud one!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #33 - 09/05/07 at 12:20:23

I plan on doing mine this weekend.. I hope.
The plan:
Use a single beeper, rectifier (diode set), and a relay to disable the beeper when the brakes are applied.  (I think it would drive me crazy to listen to that noise at a long light).
I will be hooking into the rear turn signal connections under the seat.  The cable to the beeper will be left long so I can try different locations on the bike to see where it is loud enough.
RadioShack Part Numbers and wiring diagram will be provided.  Maybe even pictures!!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #34 - 09/05/07 at 12:57:18

Paladin - Radio Shack says they are 75 db buzzers, but they don't sound like 75's. It may also be the mounting point on the frame under the tank. I am planning to switch them out for some LED's or use both.  Allied Electronics has some 100 db at 100 cm buzzers that I am thinking about.

I suppose if you used a relay from the brake lights to cut them out while you are stopped at the light, it might help the sanity.

The LED's I found are 12V bar LEDS in the Walliworld auto bling section, they are tied to a power point or cigarrette lighter plug, but I will cut that off and tie them into the circuit.

The first pic is the bike side connector to the instrument cluster in the gas tank.

The second pic is the view from the left side of the bike with the tank removed, looking at the front portion next to the coil. The round thing just beside where the black wires terminate (hard to see black wires against black frame) under the screw is the coil. The wires have crimp hook connectors to allow me to use the coil mounting screw as my ground.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #35 - 09/15/07 at 20:45:19

I finally got around to install the beeper!
It's pretty darn loud and annoying! I'm bound to hear it!

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Re: Beeping turn signal
Reply #36 - 09/15/07 at 21:25:52

Which buzzer did you use?

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #37 - 09/16/07 at 00:02:48

SteveRocket1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Which buzzer did you use?

I purchased this one at JC Whitney.
It's a bit pricey ($32), but really quick to install!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 09/16/07 at 08:27:47

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I purchased this one at JC Whitney.
It's a bit pricey ($32), but really quick to install!

How did the buzzer connect?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #39 - 09/16/07 at 10:28:15

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
How did the buzzer connect?

Took off headlight, stuck the beeper on the left side of the frame, wrapped the 3 wires (2 red 1 black) with black electrical tape to make them less visible and ran them into the headlight bucket. Then I bared a tiny portion of both blinker wires (black on left and green on right side) and wrapped the bared tip of the red wires around each blinker wire and covered it with electrical tape, and connected the black (ground) wire to the black and white ground wire from one of the blinker wire. It was pretty quick!
The sound it make has an aggravating pitch to it, but that's perfect! I'll actually hear it!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 09/16/07 at 15:24:52

This is cool...a whole new generation of beeping Savages is replacing the old generation of backfiring ones.  We're all gonna be mistaken for a forklift that's backing up Tongue

What if you just hook the horn up?  You'll get the attention of the other cars, and you won't forget to shut it off.

Just kidding....

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #41 - 09/17/07 at 11:13:01

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
This is cool...a whole new generation of beeping Savages is replacing the old generation of backfiring ones.  We're all gonna be mistaken for a forklift that's backing up Tongue

What if you just hook the horn up?  You'll get the attention of the other cars, and you won't forget to shut it off.

Just kidding....

No why didn't I think of that!!
Would have saved me some money LOL!
I drove around for hours yesterday doing errands, and used the turn signal a lot. At intersections I actually had people turn their heads to look at where the sound was coming from.  Grin
Then I left it on, on a longer straight stretch to see when I wasn't able to hear it anymore. At about 40mph I could barely discern it. But then again, I don't take turns in the middle of town going 40. All in all I'm really happy with it, and don't have to worry about someone pulling out in front of me cause I left the turn signal on. Now they will just pull out in front of me cause I'm only a bike! 8)

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #42 - 09/18/07 at 05:56:52

Hmmmmmmm......Like the idea of people looking at where the sound is coming from......always want people to know that I'm there.

Not so sure I could put up with the beeping......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #43 - 09/18/07 at 06:22:31

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Not so sure I could put up with the beeping......

That's why I have the "brake disable" on mine.  I would go crazy at a long light listening to that thing.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #44 - 09/18/07 at 11:22:47

If I'm at a traffic light that takes a long time I can just turn the blinker of. Other then that, it's not like you have to have your signal only for longer then a couple hundred feet. The beeping is bearable for such a short amount of time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beeping turn signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.