Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Top speed of an unmodified S-40 (Read 114 times)
musicdorian
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Top speed of an unmodified S-40
10/14/07 at 12:46:40

Can anyone tell me the top speed of an S-40, when on a flat surface, with no wind resistance (other that what is there generated by the speed of the bike.)?

A fellow who knows quite a bit about these machines, in a mechanical capacity, told me that they top out at about 70 mph.  This sounds suspiciously like the top speed of a Honda Rebel or a machine its equivalent size.  It would seem that a 650 engine, with street gearing should be able to do somewhat above the 70 mph mark.  (PS.  I am a putt-putt rider, I have no intentions of experimenting with the maximums on my machine.)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Top speed of an unmodified S-40
Reply #1 - 10/14/07 at 12:50:23

my '96 would do 80-85 before I did anything to it.

I was a newb at the time, so after looking down I was sitting higher.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/14/07 at 13:03:57

Mine hit 88 or so( indicated) stock. 70 is eaaasssyy! That guy doesnt know what hes talkin about.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 10/14/07 at 14:09:13

The fellow who told You this did not know that the bike has more than 3 gears.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #4 - 10/14/07 at 15:37:34

I think I saw somewhere that the stated speed by Suzuki (?) is 87mph.  When I first logged on to this site there was a chart in one of the posts listing all the speeds on the bikes available. Ours was about 5th from slowest.
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 10/14/07 at 17:26:25

I'm about 250lbs.,I have no problem hittin'70- Grin 75

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #6 - 10/14/07 at 17:30:41

Hit 85  for I backed her down.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
BEAMRUNNER
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/14/07 at 19:46:58

I have an 07 s40 that I got up to 95. It felt like it might have a little more. I weigh around 165.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 10/14/07 at 20:29:06

I've run mine with my 180 lbs. and about another 100 lbs. of gear on the back seat and in bags at 85 for a few several miles once when I had to keep up with a pick-up driver on the interstate down south last year. I still had throttle left in medium hills in N. Carolina. I don't advise it as a habit, but it was really stable and there was quite a bit of gusting crosswinds. The only changes I've done in that department was:

1. I took the washer completely out of the carb when I first go it.
2. I did a by ear carb adjustment right after that 2 1/2 years ago.
3. I put a Sportster muffler on.

I know a lot of you say to re-jet and all that other stuff. My theory is that if it's running well, isn't backfiring near as much as when I got it and just keeps running up and down the road I'm going to leave it alone. Oh yeah, and I run synthetic oil when I do all these long trips down south in the summer. I suffer from the heat but the bike doesn't seem to.

Jack

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #9 - 10/14/07 at 22:52:43

I have an 06 S40 with windshield, bags and in leathers I weigh around 230.  I cruised once for around 65-70 miles at 80 with no problems, an it didn't hurt it one bit.  I do a lot of highway riding at between 65-70, and it settles down and just Thumps along with some good acceleration left.  I ride 65-70 for 150-175 miles straight with no problems at all.  I perfer to cruise between 55-65 though.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #10 - 10/15/07 at 05:06:25

I never ceases to amaze me just how many people run the Savage down with no real knowledge of what the bike is really like.

Your mechanic friend is talking out his ehaust port.  I'll bet if you push him a little further, he'd tell you that a Savage can't make it up a steep hill without you getting off and pushing!

The stock Savage pumps out close to 33hp.  That's more than enough to get a solo rider to the speedlimit and beyond.

Like other riders have said, my '04 has no problem hitting or maintaining 70mph.  There is alot of throttle left if I need it too..

Don't let other people (who really know nothing) make up your mind for you.  If you doubt it, ask for a test ride.  When you're done, you'll likely have the same smile on your face that we do on ours..

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #11 - 10/15/07 at 05:39:16

Took the bike fore a spin this morning and clocked 85 before easing off, mainly because i was in a 50MPH speed limit.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 10/15/07 at 06:04:01

Mine isn't stock anymore but........This weekend I was with two neighbors (big HD's ), and they decided to pass a car on the expressway,  62 to 82 in a flash into the wind.  I didn't realize I was at that speed until I look down.    Actually felt like the bike had more to go, but I'm not too anxious to see how high it will go.  It will do the speed limit.......(+10).....   When it was stock, it did 75 with no problems.

And remind your "fellow" that HD 883's are approx. 37 hp stock and weight a bunch more.  

Also, my last bike was a '82 Honda CM250C which is the original version of the Rebel 250 / Nighthawk 250.  There is a world of difference between the Honda "Twinstar 250" engine (their name, I didn't make it up) and the Suzuki 650 thumper.  The Honda, you really really really had to know what gear you were in and with me (200 lbs) and my son (110 lbs) on it, it slowed down on hills.  Not the LS650.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 10/15/07 at 06:45:42

The RD250LC Yam was the first 250 in uk to do 100mph, and it did this with a genuine 31bhp.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 10/15/07 at 07:13:56

My Savage was bone stock and under the conditions you describe (flat being horizontal - not going up a grade or down) with no wind. Mine would do a little over 80 with me sitting upright. Put a little headwind or even a slight grade and the speed will start dropping. There was one time trying to pass a semi trailer at 70 mph at WOT that it topped out in the wash from the truck.

Tailwind, downgrade, or leaning forward would coax out a few more mph. No problem with the MC at top speed (except I felt like I was really flogging the engine with WOT). Tracked straight and true, and just ran out of "go."

So as you can see with the other posts, ymmv.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top speed of an unmodified S-40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.