Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Beeping turn signal?
Reply #15 - 08/28/07 at 18:13:55

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thanks thumperclone!
I found the beeper at J.C. whitney.
$32.00 isnot bad if it saves my life!
I also saw this there:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_11744G_SW_1.g...
I love it! It's a licence plate light that twirls when you brake!!
I'm going to see what T-Mack's piezo thing is. but to have it simple and already made is kinda nice!
have seen photos of that style frame after a year the red plastic fades..but they ARE inexpensive>>i used led mounting bolt for the plate tyed into brake ckt was playing with it this morning when a cloud covered up the eclipse..works/looks great..also have two small pin sized running led lights mounted to the lic bracket (love dbl stick tape)should of pointed then up a bit to wake up the cager on the phone behind me!!next mod lazers!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #16 - 08/28/07 at 19:07:05

Off the subject a  little but,

Have ya'll seen/heard the thing you can put on a car/truck that sounds like a train/RR crossing with a train whistle blowing and the train chugging along...for when youre backing up?

It definitely got my attention when I heard one. For one thing wasnt around a RR crossing or a train track Smiley

Something like that would be good on a Motorcycle,to get peoples attention....but dont know where you'd put it on the MC !?

But now I know/guess why some people wear outrageous helmets/things glued to their helmets (?!) So people will slow down, look at them and get their attention/to be seen,maybe!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 08/29/07 at 01:41:37

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thanks.. I didn't check the current draw before I posted.
Is the flasher buried that far up under the tank?? (haven't looked yet).  I'd be tempted to just loop the wire around end of the prong on the flasher and then jam it back in.. and then chassis ground the other side.
Naturally lazy.

Don't they sell those little connection gadgets with the teeth, so you can clamp it on an existing wire and draw energy from it without having to splice it open etc.
Could those be used do connect the piezo buzzer?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #18 - 08/29/07 at 01:42:42

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
have seen photos of that style frame after a year the red plastic fades..but they ARE inexpensive>>i used led mounting bolt for the plate tyed into brake ckt was playing with it this morning when a cloud covered up the eclipse..works/looks great..also have two small pin sized running led lights mounted to the lic bracket (love dbl stick tape)should of pointed then up a bit to wake up the cager on the phone behind me!!next mod lazers!!!

LOL!!!!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #19 - 08/29/07 at 04:54:17

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Don't they sell those little connection gadgets with the teeth, so you can clamp it on an existing wire and draw energy from it without having to splice it open etc.
Could those be used do connect the piezo buzzer?

Yep.. Radioshack has them:
Snap Connector

Wallymart should carry something like it too.  Usually in the automotive section.
Handy things to have around, but I haven't needed them yet.  I have just put the bare wire from whatever into a current connector, then closed it up again.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #20 - 08/29/07 at 09:56:15

Please reconsider using "scotchlocks" to share a wire. Then tend to cut some of the strands so create a point of greater than normal resistance in time. They are not sealed from the air & water so can corrode. Go to the closest bullet or flat connection and slid that small LED wire inside the male part and wrap it back over then reconnect. Secure and no harm done to the wiring. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/29/07 at 12:03:22

And if you do consider using those "scotchlock" connectors, please consider using a "self-fusing" tape to keep out water and to hold everything from shifting.
That kind of tape is fantastic for all kinds of things.
We used to call it "million dollar tape" on the ship I worked on (seismic).. stuff ain't cheap!.  But it sure grabs to itself and seals up nice!
Here's a couple links for the curious:
Pricey!

Nice description

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #22 - 08/29/07 at 14:42:14

Do you think one of the VisiStop strips could be tapped into the turnsignal circuits and placed on either the lower windscreen or bars where it would be easily seen? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to attach it to the turn signal instead of the brake light circuit.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #23 - 08/30/07 at 04:29:25

mark_k wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Do you think one of the VisiStop strips could be tapped into the turnsignal circuits and placed on either the lower windscreen or bars where it would be easily seen? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to attach it to the turn signal instead of the brake light circuit.

I don't know what a "VisiStop strip" is, but if just some LEDs in a strip, then.. yes.
I used a couple of 5 LED strips (see above) and wired them in parallel with the front turn signals using the connectors inside the headlight bucket.
As far as where to put them.. experiment and don't mount permanent or pretty until you are happy with the visibility.
One other thing to keep in mind.  SOME states have a hissy if you have red turn signal indicators visible from the front of the vehicle.  If you have amber ones instead, no problem.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #24 - 08/30/07 at 04:47:51

Since I ride with a windshield, I was thnking about lava lamps and maybee running a line up to each side of the screen, maybee I could get a third of the shield to flash..that should get my attention. Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 09/01/07 at 12:40:48

You guys are overthinking this...

Pull the flasher. Go to NAPA. Ask for an audible flasher relay with the same style blades. They make them for big rigs.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #26 - 09/03/07 at 16:02:17

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thanks.. I didn't check the current draw before I posted.
Is the flasher buried that far up under the tank?? (haven't looked yet).  I'd be tempted to just loop the wire around end of the prong on the flasher and then jam it back in.. and then chassis ground the other side.
Naturally lazy.

Well, that didn't work.
Picked up a 10ma beeper at Radio Shack and hooked up as described above.  Apparently, that 10ma draw is enough to activate the flasher by itself.  Not what I was looking for!

I looked for a "beeper" or "loud" flasher at the local places.  All they had were "loud" (and they were pretty big), and nothing matched the connectors.

Guess I'll do the diode thing.. or just get a 2nd beeper.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #27 - 09/03/07 at 16:27:53

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
You guys are overthinking this...

Pull the flasher. Go to NAPA. Ask for an audible flasher relay with the same style blades. They make them for big rigs.
-WD

I'll check into this!
How hard is it to remove the flasher??

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #28 - 09/04/07 at 06:52:29

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I'll check into this!
How hard is it to remove the flasher??

Flasher (on my 2002 at least) is easy to find and remove.  It is under the tank on the right side, towards the front.  Square looking thing with a thin rubber mount around it.  Has 2 wire connector that is on the bottom side.  Wires are Light Blue and Orange.

Lift up on the flasher to slide the rubber mount (and flasher) off the bracket.  The connector has a tab that needs pushed down to remove it from the flasher.

Good luck finding a flasher that has a beeper.. I couldn't find one.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #29 - 09/05/07 at 08:34:49

Added 2 12V Piezo electric buzzers in the turne signal circuit. First I spliced into the turn signal indicator lights at the connector. To release the connector from the plastic part, you use a small jewelers standard screwdriver to depress the little spring tab that locks it in, then you can remove it from the block and solder a small jumper wire in place, do this with the black and the green wires.

I chose to complete the circuit by grounding in the mounting screw from the coil and mount the buzzers in place with a spot of clear silicone.

You cannot feed both circuits into a common buzzer or they backfeed the other circuit and look like hazard flashers. You could use a single buzzer unit if you used diodes just before the buzzer to prevent backfeed, but two buzzers were cheaper than 1 buzzer and 2 diodes.

Evaluation:
Works well at lower speeds, but when accelerating away from a turn, they are somewhat hard to hear. I think either a louder buzzer - I am looking at ones from Allied Electronics, or I am also going to try a pair of 12V LED bars I got from Walliworld that are bendable and would attach to the edges of my windscreen. They should flash just like the cluster lights.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:19:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beeping turn signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.