Beeping turn signal (Read 109 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Beeping turn signal
08/28/07 at 00:43:48

Is there any way that I can modify the turn signal to beep when it is on??
I am so terrible about turning it off after I've turned a corner.
I even tried doing the turn it off....turn it off....turn it off...mantra right after I turn it on so I won't forget to turn it off. Most of the time I've stopped my mantra halfway through the turn because one thing or another catches my attention.
Night time is not to bad cause I see it out of the corner off my eye, but daytime is just hopeless!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Beeping turn signal?
Reply #1 - 08/28/07 at 04:38:48

thumperclone has a beeping turn signal relay(try retrobikes.com not sure if the plugs are the same tho)modify: thumperclone has only one turn signal indicator so that beeper probably wont work..j.c. whitney has one for $32...
have seen a universal vibrating(woo woo!)one that mounts under the seat, dont remember which retailer

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/28/07 at 08:43:39

You could just sneak up & swipe a reverse beeper off a forklift, then you wouldnt need turn signals, just turn that beeping thing on, I said Beepin not bleepin,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/28/07 at 08:54:23

Here's an idea I'm toying with...

fleabay has stick on turn signal arrows for the mirror.

Or get the mirrors with turn signals in the base.

Or Ox eye bar end turn signals.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #4 - 08/28/07 at 09:01:21

Here's a real easy fix that I've been thinking of doing to all my bikes. Drill a small hole in the back of the turn signal housing and mount an LED pointing right at my head. Wire it up with the appropriate resister and you have a flashing indicator that didn't require extensive wiring. Use silicone RTV to mount the LED and it will be waterproof too. If the LED is bright enough, you should be able to see it out of the corner of your eye.

Ken

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 08/28/07 at 09:05:24

That's a good idea -- a lot cheaper than the auto shutoff thingies.  You can get a 12V piezo buzzer for about $2 -- then it's just a matter of figuring out what wires to splice it into.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/28/07 at 09:21:01

My problem started when I put the bike speedo on the handle bar.  I no longer looked at the tank.
I tried mounting a couple of small LED strips on the mirrors (wired in parallel with the turn signals).. and that wasn't really effective.  The mirrors get a "glance" and I wasn't always picking up the light.
I tried putting them up on the windshield.  Effective, but ugly.
So, I moved the strips to the handlebar mounting bolts, right next to the bike speedo.
That works ok, but I'm  thinking doing the piezo buzzer thing as well, wired to the flasher.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/28/07 at 09:45:19

One Piezo buzzer, two diodes, some wire and some splices.

Run wires from front turn signal lights (positive or feed wire) thru diodes then tie together and run to the buzzer and then other buzzer lead to a ground (-).  Diodes prevent one light from running the other.

Get a loud enough buzzer!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 08/28/07 at 09:56:05

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
thumperclone has a beeping turn signal relay(try retrobikes.com not sure if the plugs are the same tho)modify: thumperclone has only one turn signal indicator so that beeper probably wont work..j.c. whitney has one for $32...
have seen a universal vibrating(woo woo!)one that mounts under the seat, dont remember which retailer

Thanks thumperclone!
I found the beeper at J.C. whitney.
$32.00 isnot bad if it saves my life!
I also saw this there:

I love it! It's a licence plate light that twirls when you brake!!
I'm going to see what T-Mack's piezo thing is. but to have it simple and already made is kinda nice!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 08/28/07 at 10:09:24

That license plate light might make a nice  "third" brake light......always want people to see that I'm stopping........

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 08/28/07 at 10:10:46

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

Run wires from front turn signal lights (positive or feed wire) thru diodes then tie together and run to the buzzer and then other buzzer lead to a ground (-).  Diodes prevent one light from running the other.

I will call radio shack this afternoon and see if they have any.
What is a Diode?
How would I stop this buzzer from getting wet? It rains here! lol

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 08/28/07 at 10:11:46

That license plate light might make a nice  "third" brake light......always want people to see that I'm stopping........

my sentiments exactly!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 08/28/07 at 10:33:10

If you come off the flasher (I think the LightBlue wire for positive side), you should be able to do it without the diodes..   The beeper can just be tie wrapped to the flasher under the tank. (I think that is where it sits on most models).  Would that work?
My main concern would be the extra load of the buzzer messing up the flash rate of the flasher.  That could be a concern in either the diode hookup or flasher hookup.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 08/28/07 at 11:04:11

I was thinking of not having to remove the tank,  always a pain.......

Yes coming off the flasher would work better and be a little less expensive.  

As for current draw, I think those piezo buzzers have real small draw, Radio Shack . com says 20 to 150 ma (that's milli-amp's.... like fractions of an amp).   Lights are 18W (I think)....calculates to 1.5 amps each, a thousand times more draw that the buzzer.  Shouldn't be a problem.

---
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/28/07 at 11:22:49

Thanks.. I didn't check the current draw before I posted.
Is the flasher buried that far up under the tank?? (haven't looked yet).  I'd be tempted to just loop the wire around end of the prong on the flasher and then jam it back in.. and then chassis ground the other side.
Naturally lazy.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:18:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beeping turn signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.